7mm saum vs 6.5 saum

That's the one. I will trying to find the post but now that brass is soon to be out I remember reading a long thread about which reamer was going to be the best one. It seemed it wasn't the no turn but I could be wrong.

I'll try to find it.

I also read it and from what I understood turning the necks tends to make ammo a little more accurate, but the non turned necks can easily achieve 0.5 MOA groups.

I believe the thread you´re looking for is posted @snipershide.

I'm waiting on the 6.5 GAP brass before I have JGS grind me up a reamer just to make sure I'm GTG. The 6.5 is really a sweet round, I run a very similar wildcat based of the SAUM in 6.5 and 7mm and they are just fun to shoot and it really does not feel like your shooting something that is getting the performance it is, it's the perfect case capacity for top end performance in the 6.5 tube!

Completely Agree!

I have a GAP-built 6.5 SAUM. I shoot 140gr Berger VLD hunting at 3100fps even using 61gr of H1000 in a 24" barrel. It's a great round and is wicked accurate. 3200 is achievable with a 140gr bullet if you lengthen your barrel to 26-27".

Has anyone noticed a difference in data (velocity, accuracy, ES, etc.) when the bullets seated out long so there is more case capacity? I've read that having the case filled to around 95% of case volume gives a better burn. Seating the bullet out long would increase the capacity but if you hit pressure before filling the case is there an advantage?

Thanks for the input guys. So 3000fps with the 140's is doable with a 24" barrel gettin around 1500 shots out the tube??
How about using the 168's for the 7saum?? I don't use them right now because my 7RM just don't like them. Will this make them fit the short action??

168 vlds and 7saum are a sweet combo and with the right free bore and a extended mag i have no prob in a short action.
Though you are unlikely to gain anything over your 7RM in this situation.

168 vlds and 7saum are a sweet combo and with the right free bore and a extended mag i have no prob in a short action.
Though you are unlikely to gain anything over your 7RM in this situation.

What type of extended mag are you going with? Is it DBM? Or BDL style? Debating on converting my brand new REM SS BDL 7SAUM into a 6.5SAUM and looking for the longest DBM available for it?
Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thank you
Elmer

What type of extended mag are you going with? Is it DBM? Or BDL style? Debating on converting my brand new REM SS BDL 7SAUM into a 6.5SAUM and looking for the longest DBM available for it?
Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thank you
Elmer

I have used Alpha Mag 300WSM but i now use a standard 308 AIC mag which I have removed the front plate out of and opened the feed lips.
This works perfectly and gives me a COAL of 2.988 though my rifle shoots best .80 off the lands so i have plenty of room.

I have used Alpha Mag 300WSM but i now use a standard 308 AIC mag which I have removed the front plate out of and opened the feed lips.
This works perfectly and gives me a COAL of 2.988 though my rifle shoots best .80 off the lands so i have plenty of room.

How difficult is that modification to do?
And thank you for answering me.

Elmer

Go 6.5 4S. Many get great brass life and performance with the previously mentioned 61grH1000/140Hyb or 63grH1000/130VLD combo's.

In a 8-9lb rifle the recoil with a break is almost nothing and it makes a great all around rifle for hunting and target shooting.

I've had the 6.5x300 saum or 6.5 4s chambering since 08 now and I won't be without one going forward unless someone comes out with something really special. Plus GAP just started carrying factory headstamped brass.

I use the 308 AICS box in my 6.5 SS and it is simple to convert. All I did was measure the gap between the feed lips and spread them .040" per side to make up the difference from the .470" case head of the 308 to the .550" of the saum.
By the way, there is something special out there. It is called the SS case. It out performs the GAP and the std. saum with a coal under 3"!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.