280 AI vs 6.5 SAUM

MCOBB2

I've searched and found SOME info but not enough for my decision. Working on picking out a build for a long range hunting but primarily long range target gun under 1,400 yards. I have a 300PRC which is very accurate for that same instance but can be a bit aggressive recoil wise for following shots. From everything I'm reading I'm seeing similar ballistics but was curious if anyone has any experience recoil wise. I'm sure they are close but was hoping for some confirmation. Also free to any input from anyone else on their choice. I DO reload so ammo availability isn't a big deal. Just would like a quick, flat shooter with manageable recoil. It would probably not be a chassis gun probably go with a McMillan long range hunting/tactical style stock FWIW. Thanks in advance!

If less recoil is your goal the 6.5 prc is the way to go. The two cartridges achieve roughly 3,000fps the 280ai shooting 160-170gr bullets and the 6.5 shooting 140-150gr bullets. The lighter bullet will have less recoil. But the bigger bore will wear less and the barrel will last longer. With a muzzle brake both are not bad recoiling rounds. I would take the 280ai over the 6.5 prc for hunting purposes because bigger bullets tend to kill better. But since you already have a 300 prc I'd take that hunting and get an even lighter recoiling caliber that's easier on barrels for target shooting like a 6.5 creedmoor. If you already have a creedmoor I'd go with the 280ai and have a good middle ground between the 6.5 creed and the 300prc. If barrel life isn't an issue the 6.5prc will make a fun steel shooting gun.

If less recoil is your goal the 6.5 prc is the way to go. The two cartridges achieve roughly 3,000fps the 280ai shooting 160-170gr bullets and the 6.5 shooting 140-150gr bullets. The lighter bullet will have less recoil. But the bigger bore will wear less and the barrel will last longer. With a muzzle brake both are not bad recoiling rounds. I would take the 280ai over the 6.5 prc for hunting purposes because bigger bullets tend to kill better. But since you already have a 300 prc I'd take that hunting and get an even lighter recoiling caliber that's easier on barrels for target shooting like a 6.5 creedmoor. If you already have a creedmoor I'd go with the 280ai and have a good middle ground between the 6.5 creed and the 300prc. If barrel life isn't an issue the 6.5prc will make a fun steel shooting gun.
I have a .270 in a ADL and a 6.5creed in a Ruger American. I keep leaning to the 280AI because of the versatility to do all. Didn't know how much the 6.5 recoil reduced. The 300 is the game killer for the most part. (Addict so pretty much I feel like I need all at this point)

Why not compare 6.5 saum vs 7mm saum? Magnum case head will hold more pressure than the 473 case head. Plus ADG brass is some the toughest there is. If you're gonna build on a long action to take advantage of a properly freebore 280ai, might as well just go 7mm mag. Intermediate or short action go with the wsm/saum.

Why not compare 6.5 saum vs 7mm saum? Magnum case head will hold more pressure than the 473 case head. Plus ADG brass is some the toughest there is. If you're gonna build on a long action to take advantage of a properly freebore 280ai, might as well just go 7mm mag. Intermediate or short action go with the wsm/saum.
While you're at it look at the 7 Sherman Short or Sherman Max (or the 6.5 in the same) - so many options... 🤠

While you're at it look at the 7 Sherman Short or Sherman Max (or the 6.5 in the same) - so many options... 🤠
Ehh Ive got 65 max and had a 7max, equal pressure they'll only run another 50fps over the parent case. Running everything at 80k+ psi is over rater. That's the only way a Sherman gets the speed Rich advertises. I mean let's be serious, and 30 Sherman mag only holds 2gr more powder Than a 300prc, yet somehow you're getting a other 100fps with 3gr powder powder than warm prc loads. It's cuz 80-85k psi, not Shermans magic.

I would tend to lean toward the 6.5 since you already have the 300 PRC. I get the 156 bergers over 3k, should be plenty for what you want to do. My buddy gets the 175 bergers 3k out of his 280ai, which is very similar ballastics with just a tad more recoil.

That said, I own a 6.5 PRC, 280ai, and a 300 WM...so one of each is the best option!

My understanding was that the 280 AI was a lot less bite recoil wise than the rem mag, no?

This may be a little off track but what are u running for a break on your 300prc?.. the wife is running a MDT elite muzzle break on hers and it has less felt recoil then my 280AI.. both guns are running just over 12 lbs and both are flying on the slow side at 2950 fps

With the large market selection of 7mm projectiles (finally) you can get great results with handloads in a 7WSM or 7SAUM.
If you are not going to be shooting 50+ rounds in one sitting, it is the way to go. I suggest a WSM or SAUM on a long action so you can load long COAL, high BC bullets from a magazine. Keep that barrel long'ish too 26" so you have some great slow burn powders to play with. Cases are also plentiful even in crazy times.

This may be a little off track but what are u running for a break on your 300prc?.. the wife is running a MDT elite muzzle break on hers and it has less felt recoil then my 280AI.. both guns are running just over 12 lbs and both are flying on the slow side at 2950 fps
APA lil bastard.

With the large market selection of 7mm projectiles (finally) you can get great results with handloads in a 7WSM or 7SAUM.
If you are not going to be shooting 50+ rounds in one sitting, it is the way to go. I suggest a WSM or SAUM on a long action so you can load long COAL, high BC bullets from a magazine. Keep that barrel long'ish too 26" so you have some great slow burn powders to play with. Cases are also plentiful even in crazy times.
What about if we are shooting 50-100?

Recent Posts