270 win vs 280 ai

The AI can be interesting if set up properly so you can just throw factory 270's in and eject perfect AI cases, the Sherman cases are just so great though I think I'd have a hard time going back to an AI.
I would strongly suggest you treat yourself to a nice batch of 270 Norma cases, there are very excellent, been using them for all our Sherman cases and they sure are nice and hold primer pockets better :D

I just called Douglas and had them do 26" 270 AI XX SS heavy sporter 9 twist 11o crown.

Will 160gr or heavier stabalize in a 9 twist?

Mr Brian Litz has a good SG stabilization calculator I've been playing with ithink I'll be good up to 165 gr.
Douglas could only do a 9 twist.

Has anyone tried Nosler LR 150 gr . Bullet length is 1.39" and supposed G1 of .625!
They get bad reviews on terminal ballistic on game though as reviewed on Midway's website. (I put a lot of emphasis on bullet placement.)

Douglas can do 8 twist, I have a couple from them, also Stan has a 6.8-284 reamer
& that would only require you to only get a bushing for the 6.5-284 die, and seat with a straight 270 Win seater.

But 9 is better imo.??

Mr Brian Litz has a good SG stabilization calculator I've been playing with ithink I'll be good up to 165 gr.
Douglas could only do a 9 twist.

Someone please tell me if im wrong.
I can get a Lee 280ai seater die and trade
the floating seater plug with my 270 plug.

I can get a Redding 280ai body die or lee FL die and size the body only.

My lee collet 270 win. NS die will work for a 270ai.

All of these dies are available now and cheap. Or buy the 270ai Redding set for $300 and wait 3 to 4 months.

So parts of my scheme may be a no go? I still think the seater die and NS will work.
I could try it and see if it works . Also depends on my actual 270ai chamber when get them fireformed. I cant find specs or reamer prints of 270 ai ANYWHERE!

No, it isn't the other way around.

How much depends on which 280 you are comparing it to. Could be as much as .040" or as little as .022".

Yep. I can see that now looking at the parent case dimensions. Worse case scenario I return the Lee set to midway.

tb23,

don't know if this will help but kevin weaver ,chambers for his 270/300 win mag wildcat,me thinks it will out speed the 270 roy easy. just something to ponder about , good luck, regards jjmp.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts