6.5saum finally

25WSM

I finally got the 6.5 saum to a shootable state. Just need to dip the stock and it's will be done. I shot it yesterday 4 shots. One to get it on paper and then 3 shots. The load was 60gn of h1000 and a 140 Berger hybrid. Shot one was the bottom one. 60 gr. 2940fps shot 2 was just above it. 60.3 gr 2953 and shot 3 was the one to the left. 60.6 gr 2955 fps. I think the group is real good considering it has 4 shots on it now and the 3 shot group was all different powder charges. Barrel showed very little copper and is clean ready for a few more break in shots today. I'll keep posting as the powder charge goes up and the barrel breaks in. I'm going to do a Satterlee test and then seating test and show the progress of how I tune. I could just stop where I'm at and hunt but that's no fun and I have at least 100fps more I can go.
The rifle is a Gunwerx GRB action and a Proof sendero light carbon. McMillan htg stock and a Bix and Andy trigger. Scope is a Zeiss v6 3x18 in Burris signature rings.
Brass is adg. Fed 215 H1000 140hyb.
Shep

Attachments

• 20200608_180207.jpg
    20200608_180207.jpg
    650.3 KB · Views: 385
  • 20200608_173342_HDR.jpg
    20200608_173342_HDR.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 414
Nice how does the B and A trigger feel say compared to a jewell I have yet to handle one

I got the Dakota trigger and mine only goes down to 1lb 8oz. Supposed to go to a pound and the one I put on my friends rifle does go down to a pound. I have Jewels on almost all my other rifles including 4 2 oz br triggers. They feel the same to me. Very crisp with just a little over travel. I will probably stick with Jewels because I can adjust all aspects of them. The Dakota cost about the same and only adjust for weight. I like more over travel on my triggers and the Dakota could use alot more of it. I will probably take it apart and modify the over travel stop.
I'm also not real happy about it not going to a pound. I ask them a week ago about it and got zero response back.
Shep

I've had great luck with the jewels too.
I know the Dakota is their budget trigger but for the same money a jewel can be had. I emailed them may 30th about the poundage and nothing.
Shep

Don't anybody worry about derailing this thread. Ask what you want. I will be adding updates as I move along with load development. Including different powders and bullets too.
Shep

Welcome to the 6.5 SAUM club 😀you'll love this cartridge.

Stuff a 156 berger in that thing and let er' rip!

My 6.5 SAUM wears a bartlein 3b. Boringly accurate - from coyotes to elk, it has taken them all with great results - I love this cartridge!

I'm really liking my GAP 6.5 SAUM. Only have 350+/- rounds through it but it is a start for a 30 day old rifle. Besides the 156EH, I suggest you save time to try out the 153.5 Hybrid. Had mine at the range Sunday and with the Hybrids only had to change 1.25MOA to go from 100 yd zero to a 200 yd zero. From there I only had to dial up 2 MOA to go to 300 yards and I'm running slightly below 2900 fps with RL26. It would really be nice for me if the 153.5 turned out to work on game as well as the 215 Hybrids have in my 300 WM. Time will tell.
I agree, if you reload, you will likely enjoy the 6.5 SAUM. I suggest you monitor the barrel speed up and pressure as you progress in your load development/ break in.

Don't anybody worry about derailing this thread. Ask what you want. I will be adding updates as I move along with load development. Including different powders and bullets too.
Shep
What's your freebore?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.