6.5saum help

cahunter805

Hey guys! Putting together a 6.5saum and looking for advice.

What twist rate? I'm thinking 8 twist as I plan to shoot 140s and local elevation is 1000ft.

Which freebore for the 4s reamer? Mag length will be 3.0"

Any help appreciated.

George and most of the other shooters are using 1:8.2" twist rate with the Bartlein barrels. Some have success with the slightly slower 1:8.7" twist. Given the velocities you can run the 1:9" but you need the top velocities for long range stability.

The versions available from GP are 0.088" and 0.120" freebore.

Regards.

Here is the complete thread with everything you need to know about loading this cartridge:

http://forum.snipershide.info/showthread.php?t=195161

Regards.

8TW is what most ~140gr bullet makers recommend.
Any more displacement per turn would reduce stability to marginal, which has been found to reduce expected BC.

At your altitude go 1-8tw. With your mag lenght go .120 free bore. I'm at sea level and have the Seekins WSM 3.170 DBM and mags. I used what I just recommended to you and they work fine. With the 140 Bergers or JLKs, they will load about 2.95-2.96 to the lands with the .120 free bore.

Darren

Hey guys! Putting together a 6.5saum and looking for advice.

What twist rate? I'm thinking 8 twist as I plan to shoot 140s and local elevation is 1000ft.

Which freebore for the 4s reamer? Mag length will be 3.0"

Any help appreciated.

Bryan Litz checked out my 6.5 155 gr VLD and it should be quite good in a Saum.
He said an 8 twist will stabilize this bullet which has an excellent form factor and BC [email protected] info & pictures

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.