338 Norma Review By Ward W. Brien

+1 start with the 22 and work your way up in calibers. Could be the next challenge to be able to shoot both left and right very accurately. I can't and I'm sure most folks here couldn't either...so go for it and keep us posted...we're rooting for ya.

Trueblue, Don't let the shoulder surgeries be the reason to sell those guns. I have had both of my shoulders done and recoil is the least of the worries. That Edge you sold me doesn't hurt a bit. Sorry to get off track of the thread.
I am having another wildcat of the 338 Norma built now in the 284 caliber. It should be a interesting time to devolp the loads. Thanks true blue for the invaluble help.

Now that norma have started making 300 norma brass the 30 cal version should pop up everywhere when people find out how accurate this case is. It shoulded be long until its necked down to 284, 264 lightbulbetc

Now that norma have started making 300 norma brass the 30 cal version should pop up everywhere when people find out how accurate this case is. It shoulded be long until its necked down to 284, 264 lightbulbetc

There is a gun builder on this site that is already doing just that. It is his Jazz line. He has the 300, 284, and 6.5 Jazz. Pretty blistering speeds.

Tank

I shot it in a t-shirt at the range, no lead sled, and it felt the same as my 340WM,BOTH have brakes, 340 is a older radial type, norma a muzzel brake, with scope weight is just under 9#'s. I shot my 340 for 10 yrs. no brake, first yr.shot 400 rnds. getting used to it.

I just read 10 pages of post and still have a ? on the battle .338 Norma vs. .338 Lapua. If barrel twist (9.4) and length (26")were the same and shooting from a single shot gun so max COAL could be used with 300 gr MK's....Which one rules?
Is the Norma only better because it fit into to mag length gun's with 300 mk's.

thanks guys

The Lapua will out run the Norma mag, but only by.... say 40 to 50 fps. The Norma is designed to fit into a standard mag action and excels in shorter barrels. The Lapua on the other hand requires a larger action and longer barrel to really take advantage of its design. With a 26" barrel it is really a matter of picking which one you want. My cousin currently shoots a 338 Lapua in a Savage Target action which is a short action. It will eject spent cases fine, but loaded cases require you to pull the bolt. IF it is going to be a single shot, either will perform equally well on the platform to which you have described. The Lapua is more common, but the Norma has a good following and brass can be found fairly easy.

Tank

338normapistolsized.jpg

I had this one built using an XP 100 action. The barrel is 22 inches + brake. It's around 11 pounds as you see it.
I haven't had a chance to much work with as yet, but I am planning to run 250 SMK's out of it.
I have a 3-12 pistol scope on it now, but soon it will have a Vortex Viper PST 6-24 instead.

I chose the Norma for the reasons stated. I can eject a spent case, and it's efficient with the shorter barrels. I also liked it cause it's new :)

Doug

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.