338 Norma Review By Ward W. Brien

Anyone improving this case? Not a drastic change just put a 30-35 degree shoulder on it. Just seems that it would make a well designed case even better.

Bill,
There has been some discussion about it. Why don't you be the first, and let us know how it performs.
My guess is that with a 35 degree shoulder that it would be about the same performance as the EDGE, with alot better brass.

Just ordered a 338 Norma Imp 35 degree shoulder :) Will be a while before I get lead in the air but the process has been started.

It will be on a desert tactical chassis. Jon Beanland will be doing the bbl work. If I really like the DTA I may do some other calibers and do some safe cleaning on some other guns ;)

I just got off of the phone with him, and he said, "2890 fps to 2950 fps with a 26" barrel. However, Trueblue, what if there was a powder out there that isn't available to the general public at this time but kicks the velocity up another 100+- fps, that would put the velocity right on my call...

The Brand New Cartridge that works in the same receiver as the 338 Norma but with a barrel swap, is the new .375 Norma. Bullet weight is a 350 grain SMK that moves at 2875 fps on a 26" barrel, and, at this time, and to quote Mr. Sloan, that's not topping out the load.

I don't mean to sound haughty about this, however, it is my opinion that Mr. SLoan is and has been inventing revolutionary cartridges.

Out.

That is a big stretch on a little norma. I'd have to really see that considering the .338 norma is pushing 2850 with 300gr smks at most....and a .375 at 350grs is gonna go faster out of the same case?....hmmm..

NOT saying Sloan is lying or fibbing the numbers,I just don't see that happening. But,im would be the first guy to applaud and congraduate him or anyone who did and mean no disrespect. Im just curious and would love to see that compact .375 do that.

I have seen it happen to a lesser extent in past,,,but with its efficient case design,,,necking it up makes for more capacity...but I would have to see to be a believer also...that's a big bullet going fast

I'd love to see it happen because if its true,thats over 6000lbs from the muzzle with a 350gr smk. If the little norma can do it then a larger 375 RUM can do it too. The RUM is a smidge higher 65,000psi v.s. normas 63xxxpsi.

I wouldn't mind doing a 375 norma in a compact package that ifts in a standard 3.60 mag box...with a 350gr smk loaded!

The cool thing is the .375 350gr smk is just a hair longer than the 300gr smk .338pill. I have both side by side and its litterally about 2mm judging by the eye.

Gentleman... In my opinion, Don't Change A Thing on the 338 Norma. It is what it is and it works. I am building my third 338 Norma now, hopefully cutting the chamber tomorrow.

There is another round that has developed out of this, and that is the 300 Norma. The 300 Norma utilizes the same brass as the 338 Norma, only it is necked down to receive a .30 caliber bullet. I have not made one yet, however I have heard from those shooting it that the Berger 210 VLD's are moving at 3,200 FPS with Superb Accuracy at one mile. This is the round that the SOCOM Team won with at the 2010 International Sniper Competition.

The Ballistics show approximately 4,215 Ft-Lbs of energy at the muzzle; and 1,024 ft-lbs of energy and 1,482 fps at one mile.

These are two Golden Cartridges. Dies for both can be obtained from Forester.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gentleman... In my opinion, Don't Change A Thing on the 338 Norma. It is what it is and it works.

Well that's not a very adventurous attitude! :) I know it would work and be cheaper and easier to just go w/the standard Norma but that is kinda boring to me. Always gotta be trying something new!! I will let you guys know how it works out once I get some lead in the air.

Just some information I built a 338 NM with the 35 deg shoulder for a customer on a blue printed 700 and his early testing it was shooting in the .3's, that was a few months ago and I haven't received any reports lately. The increase in shoulder angle gave an increase of 7 more gr. of H2O capacity.

Ken

So, you're a riflemaker... And you built a blueprinted, custom 700,
with a modified reamer of your own design.
That's wonderful... Did you happen to see the group shot with
The Norma in the article about the Norma on this web site.
You have succeeded in bastardizing a great & proven
design, & reducing accuracy.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.