338 Norma Review By Ward W. Brien

You will not see Mr Sloan's 300 Norma doing 3100fps with the 240gr SMK,
unless he has drastically changed his case design since the last time we spoke.
My 300 JAZZ is basically an AI version(30 degree) of the 300 NORMA and out of a 28" barrel, I am pushing the 240gr SMK @ 2850fps with 83gr of Retumbo.
Now , I could push it alittle harder, maybe, but nowhere near 3100fps.
Now the 210 Berger's will do 3100+, no problem. Jimmy and I have discussed this cartridge on numerous occasions.

I just got off of the phone with him, and he said, "2890 fps to 2950 fps with a 26" barrel. However, Trueblue, what if there was a powder out there that isn't available to the general public at this time but kicks the velocity up another 100+- fps, that would put the velocity right on my call...

The Brand New Cartridge that works in the same receiver as the 338 Norma but with a barrel swap, is the new .375 Norma. Bullet weight is a 350 grain SMK that moves at 2875 fps on a 26" barrel, and, at this time, and to quote Mr. Sloan, that's not topping out the load.

I don't mean to sound haughty about this, however, it is my opinion that Mr. SLoan is and has been inventing revolutionary cartridges.

Out.

I just got off of the phone with him, and he said, "2890 fps to 2950 fps with a 26" barrel. However, Trueblue, what if there was a powder out there that isn't available to the general public at this time but kicks the velocity up another 100+- fps, that would put the velocity right on my call...

The Brand New Cartridge that works in the same receiver as the 338 Norma but with a barrel swap, is the new .375 Norma. Bullet weight is a 350 grain SMK that moves at 2875 fps on a 26" barrel, and, at this time, and to quote Mr. Sloan, that's not topping out the load.

I don't mean to sound haughty about this, however, it is my opinion that Mr. SLoan is and has been inventing revolutionary cartridges.

Out.

The only problem with the 375SMK is that it is limited in its production. Unless they start running them again, the supply will run out. I asked about this bullet when I contacted Sierra. They said when they are gone, they are gone. So unless someone wants to dump the money into an after market bullet (Wildcat, Matrix Ballistix, hand turned and GS) the quality of high BC bullets will be nonexistent.

Tank

I agree with you whole heartedly. Jimmy Sloan has developed a great caliber.
I am surprised you mentioned his 375, as he swore me to secrecy on that one.
From what I understand the shoulder is pushed forward alittle, or it was at one time?

Anyway, I am sure your velocities are on with the powder you speak of, but I only have access to powders such as Retumbo and the like.

I meant no disrespect to Mr. Sloan, if that is how you perceived it. He has been gracious enough to spend hours on the phone with me at times when I was putting together my 300 JAZZ. He is truly a sharing person, with a good heart.
WWB, thanks for the info.

Everything has an equation. Stick to the proven ones and don't try to change the them and ou will have very similar results. Its like a recipe for your favorite desert. You can make it anywhere in the world; change it a little and it becomes a different dessert. Physical death is the only non changeable entity in our world. If we want 375 bullets, we can get them.

Thanks for the offer of the 375gr bullets,but had shoulder surgury recently, and am acually in the process of selling some of my big caliber gear.

trueblue, sorry to hear about your shoulder. I hope you have a speedy recovery. Take care.

This is a very interesting article. Seems like this is a great performing round that closely matches the 338 Lapua, Edge and 338 RUM.

most of the time my opinions should be kept to myself, but,I'll offer it anyway. So, in my opinion, as good as the other cartridges are, they don't run as good as the Norma. The design is superb and you should give it a try.

I am confinced.. This is the round for my new build.. I am somewhat new to this longrange shooting stuff and sometimes have questions that may seem somewhat stupid, but I am asking nonetheless.

Sorry to change the supject a little but on page 5 of this forum it was mentioned that the left hand twist was to counteract the effects of corrialis.

My question is: if the earth rotates easterly on a north/south axis, wouldn't the effects of spin drift be different depending on whether you were shooting north or south? I am sure there is a very good explanation for this, but I; for the life of me; can not figure it out. Can someone please explain it to me???

Thanks
Duane

Not to confuse you, however, coriolis is a great big, enormous, draconianly LARGE issue IF you are sending Mortars downrange. Its not for bullets, even if you are shooting a mile with a heading of zero degrees and in the Northern hemisphere. Yes, (here we go again with my opinion) but in my opinion the POI at 1000 yards can be 2"+. But the question that counters that if the shooter is really concerned, is, what about spin drift / Magnus Effect? Technical Shooter's, "Techy's) care about it all.

Topshot,
I thought about that. Might try and train myself to shoot left handed with my 22LR until I heal up.
So as not to scare anyone away from the big magnums, this injury was related to 35 years of heavy construction work, not from shooting a rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.