Nightforce Ballistic Targeting Software By Ward W. Brien

First, fantastic tool / product.
Next, what's write in the rain paper? Where do I get it?
Last, wish I didn't have to buy two versions of the software to have it on the pc (to print) and the pocket pc. I'm not a computer guy, so I don't know why this is so. Seems unnecessary.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the link and the explanation. Do I need the pen, or will any pen do?

Last edited:
Exbal (nughtforce software)

Not only can you get it for windows or windoes CE sources, it will also run on a palm pilot. Best site I have found for these is Insightguns.com. Without a doubt it is one of the premier software ballistic packages and I have looked at and used quite a few of them. The ease and thoroughness of use is amazing but to see the total aplication you need the PC based product IMO. As am older computer user and writer, I can attest to the thoroughness, ease and usefullness of the software. It beats any other that I have used and can be set to 2000 yards which is about as thorough as you can get.

bob chronister

Last edited:
OK, I got the pc and pocket pc version. I have loaded and saved profiles for a few cartridges in excel. How do I get the profile back into exbal to modify it for the current shot?

How to open your previously saved file...

After inputting the pertinent data into your Night Force Ballistic Targeting Software, you must save the file so that you can utilize it on your next shooting session.

To Save your file, go to the bottom left hand corner of the pocket pc screen and choose "File." A small pop-up window will appear. Next, pick "Save As..." and a large window will present itself.

Within this window, you will see the following:

Name: ________________

Folder: ________________

Type: ________________

SAVE CANCEL

Here is an example of what should be inputted:

Name: .308 175 grn Federal Match

Folder: NIGHT FORCE

Type: Bullet Data (*.Bul)

Location: Main Memory or Storage Card; I save my files to my storage card which frees up the main unit's memory.

SAVE CANCEL

Once this information is inputted, click on "SAVE."

Now the next time that you turn on your pocket pc, go to the bottom left hand corner of the screen and click on "File,"
--> then "Open,"
-->then click on the name of the file that you have saved.

However, you may encounter a problem depending on which Pocket PC you are using and if your batteries have died.

IF you are using a business type of Pocket PC such as a Dell Axim 30 or similar, and its batteries have died on you; the software will automatically be deleted and you will not be able to find it.

To prevent this from happening, you will need to either load the software directly onto your storage card, or back up the software onto your storage card so that you can restore it once the batteries have been recharged.

This problem will not occur with a TDS Recon or Nomad Pocket PC as the software is safely stored in the units main memory, not in flash memory.

Thanks Ward,
The trouble I was having is I was saving the files as excel files. Then, I couldn't get 'em back into exbal. I tried saving the files as you suggested. That works great.

Saving NF Ballistic Files

Grit: Good Deal, I'm glad that it is working for you. It is an awesome software package and I fully endorse it.

I am just looking into getting set up for the field, actually getting a jump on next year. I have read some of the archives and still have a lot of questions. The Nightforce software sounds sweet.

#1- Will a normal Palm Pilot run this, what are the requirements? I am currently looking at the PalmOne m125 Handheld for Geocaching, will this work fro the ballistic software. I am also considering the Palm Centro, if needed.

#2- On the software site it looks like everything is in imperial, can you use both standard and metric?

#3- Is that correct that you need two versions, on for Windows PC and one for the handheld?

Many thanks,
Dennis

Dennis,

#1, Yes I've ran it on the old Palm III's. It's best to run it on one that has nonvolatile memory so if the batteries go dead you won't have to reinstall the software.

#2, Yes

#3, I only use the one for Palm. I use a different program on my PC (the free kind). I have no need for them to talk to one another.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.