338 Norma Review By Ward W. Brien

I'm reluctant to recommend a company that makes reamers & suggest you contact your gunsmith.

I wonder if Norma or the gentleman that designed the 338 Norma would be able to authorize & Supply to WGW the specs to build the reamers?

Wouldn't that settle any concerns?

Then,
The Smith of the end user's choice should contact WGW & request a reamer?

I'm just a spitballin' here: I'll go back to my corner now.

I've been thinking for the last few days . ...... Please feel free to take stabs : ) Reamers for 338 Norma Mag can be ordered through pacifictoolandgauge.com. Wow! One huge " secret" already been dismantled. My gun maker recommended I send a blank round with how I want the bullet to seat for best results to facific tool and gauge. Suppose this can be done for any standard caliber (to customize the chambearing).
What actually begs a question for me personally (before investing about 3.5-6 K into building a custom rifle in 300 Norma or 338 Norma mags) is there actual data compiled by a neutral/non-biased third party that is readily available and accessible by any shooter to show that 338 Norma mag any more superior to 338 Lapua? There is so much hype/bragging about it from people that use custom build rifles that naturally shoot better. I understand making the 338 Norma case shorter in order to accommodate longer higher BC bullets and to be able to shoot from a magazine. Is there more to it? IF, so, is there documented proof by non-biased third party that don't receive free STUFF/COMPS from interested parties? On that note, why not just "customize" the well known 338 Lapua chamber to allow the neck to seat deeper and get a custom longer magazine. We already have seen 300 win mag being necked down to 6.5 Creedmore and 300 win mag being necked down to 7mm. With these modern longer 30 caliber bullets and 338 bullets with 7 + ballistic coefficient perhaps one could considering slightly "customizing" the chamber area of the barrel and the magazine area to allow shooting these longer rounds from a magazine instead of "inventing/re-inventing" the already tried and trued cartridges.

Contact "Mile Brown Gun sales and Service,"
Also known as "Jet Suppressors," In Aransas Pass, Texas.
He has the data.

I spoke with Mike this morning and asked for data supporting claims of 338 norma being superior tob338 lapua.. Mike was very polite and professional. However was not able to provide me with solid data I could study before setting out on building 3-5 K custom gun. I asked Mike to e mail me anything he can think of that would help me learn more about 338 norma magnum instead of having primarily hearsay and verbal information.
I am very intrigued by this cartridge and hope to build one some day.

Give Pacific Tool & Gauge a call and request they email you print #42357.
The print contains the drawing for the .338 Norma Tactical Match, which in my discussion with Dave Kiff is the original reamer developed for the cartridge.
Keep in mind, the original cartridge was designed to be used with the 300 Grain Sierra Match King. However, the chamber has worked well with the Berger 300 Grain OTM's and the 300 Grain Berger Elite Hunter.
I have used this reamer many times for my clients- they love it.

Thank you pallen1067. Would you happen to know any factual information as far as the shortest optimal length for 338 norma and 300 norma? I would like to have something like 22-23 inches made (I read Mrs. Sloan was experimenting with 22-23 inches in barrel lenght).
Thank you.

22, 23 or 24". Take your choice. if you are going suppressed, 22 is great. Just make sure you have between a 9.3 to 9.4 twist barrel.

Sloan had 20" and 22" at Fort Benning, kicked butt big time.

I chambered a few in 20"..... Very accurate... Slow, but accurate.

24" will give your highest velocities, obviously.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.