338 Norma Review By Ward W. Brien

Thanks for the update, Ward. It's nice to get feedback from actual results. Don't have any experience with this caliber in a short barrel. Therefor the recomendation to stick with 26".

Mark Chanlynn is making me another barrel that will finish at 26" and will be attached to a Remington 700 LA that I have sitting around.

IF you have a good Rifle Maker (and not a parts assembler) build it for you, you will Love it.

Thanks guys

The purpose of this gun is intended to give me a lighter version of my .338 Lapua which wears a heavy 20 inch barrel and weighs in at 16 lbs with scope and bipod. The gun shoots great and I get an average of 2850 fps with 250 Scenars (temp 79 degrees) with 3 shot groups averaging .75-.81 @ 200 yards from prone with a bipod. I'm still fiddling with the load and it looks like dropping down to around 2821 fps might tighten the group up a bit more.
I just wanted something lighter that would work on a standard action (the Lapua is on an oversized action but I know many of you are running it on a standard action as well) to be a mountain gun capable of long range hits. I'm hoping to come in around 12 lbs or less with this one. Yea, I know, a good brake is a must.
Due to the short barrel on the Lapua I didn't set it up to shoot 300 grain bullets (my twist is 1:12) I just didn't think I would be able to get the speed up enough to make using the 300 grain smk's a better choice over the 250's. The .338 Norma will have a twist to stabilize the 300 grain bullets if I want to use them.
Both the above guns are built as handguns which helps to increase their portability as well.
I'm certainly no expert, but I really enjoy researching and then building what I think will work. If it doesn't, well, back to the drawing board!
I really appreciate all the information and ideas you guys are sharing about the .338 Norma. I'm excited to get mine built.

Doug

This question may seem silly but how this cartridge compares to the 338 lapua mag in termes of performance?
Does smaller case means less powerfull?
I am interested because i have a Tac300 action waiting and need to decide what boltface to choose for my long range project.
Thanks

The Rem 700 action is a poor choice for a .588 boltface cartridge for many reasons. Spend a bit more on a Stiller, Lawton, Badger etc and avoid the long project, big cost, and limited resale. Benchrest guys have been advising against Rem 700 and 40x actions for 30+ yrs. Want to buck the advice of the foremost precision shooters? Go ahead...

I learned the hard way that spending money and lots more valuable time waiting to turn a Rem 700 action into something halfway usable was just folly.

Nothing out there, (yet), that does as much in so many ways as the .338/300.
Not the ctg for you if you're figuring on 2750fps with a 300gr bullet. If you can live with 2600, then maybe...

The .338 Norma is a great evolutionary step. Would be interested in knowing if Ward has gauged virgin and 1x brass from his rifles and what those measure.

Nice article and pix. thanks!

"Benchrest guys have been advising against Rem 700 and 40x actions for 30+ yrs. Want to buck the advice of the foremost precision shooters? Go ahead..."

Ok, I will.

So with a 26 inch barrel what twist would a guy want to go with? I am going to get my action tomorrow so I need to order my barrel.
I was going to used a tured Remington 700 action but it seem about 50/50 on what people think. I talked to a guy from Bijoucreek and he has been building them on 700 actions with no problems and then others say no way.

I think the Remington 700 would be good for a Light weight Long Range Hunter, would it not?

Brian,
The guy that developed the round by the name of Jimmy Sloan has put over 10,000 rounds thru this caliber on a Rem 700 action over the last 8 years, along with countless thousands of other rounds with the military and such.
Just don't be stupid and reload it for higher pressures than what it was designed at 63,800psi and you will be fine. It is no different than any caliber, do not overload it.

As far as your other question concerning barrel length.
The cartridge seems to perform just as well with a 26" barrel vs a 28" barrel.
At 1000 yards ther is really very little difference in performance between 2750fps or 2800fps. So if 26" barrel is more convenient go with that.
Seems everyone is going with a 1:9.3 twist with good results.
The beautiful thing about this cartridge is it gives you close to Lapua or EDGE performance without dealing with extended magboxes.

I know this an old article, but I read it again because the caliber intrigues me. My question is, If a guy wanted brass, where do you get it? I just looked on Midway and Norma's website and there is nothing showing 338 Norma brass.

Tank

436, what bigger 338's did you have in mind when you mentioned they lack great case design?

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.