338 EDGE

I am not positive, I know that they both start with 300 ultra cases and have .338 bullets but I can not tell you the specific difference. Someone has a 338 Tomahawk on this board hopefully they will catch this thread and let us know.

Just thought I would add some info for people getting ready to setup a 338 EDGE. About chamber free bore specs.
Using the following components and load specs:
300 gr SMK
H-1000
CCI 250
Rem cases
30" Hart barrel
Loading the components with the bullet -.010" off the lands gives the following velocity and load. Assuming all other factors roughly the same.

OAL 3.685" (HS box mag length) 91.0 gr 2814 fps
OAL 3.775" (Wyatt's mag length)92.0 gr 2822 fps
OAL 3.910" (single shot) 93.0 gr 2803 fps
OAL 4.030" (single shot) 94.0 gr 2852 fps

FREEBORE

OAL 3.685" w/ .150" freebore 97.0 gr 2930 fps
OAL 3.775" w/ .050" freebore 95.0 gr 2902 fps

These are were all cut with the same reamer and throater. Just supporting info for the EDGE everyone elses info may vary. I have also noted that Fedral brass weighs slightly more than the average Rem brass and uses slightly less powder for the same preasure. The Fed brass holds about 1-1.5 grains H2O less than the Remington. Using H1000, the SMK, & CCI 250's I have gotton ES of 5-8 fps for 10 rounds. However you must measure the SMK base to ogive length and use only ones that are the same, doing this saved 8-10 fps in ES. Trim the tip, seperating by weight, find some good shooting conditions and 5-6" at 1000 yards is not a difficult deal.

Shawn, you mention separating by base to ogive brought your ES down. i understand that's appropriate for long range consistancy, but for bringing down the ES i would think separating by bearing surface length would have more to do with ES.evidently the base to ogive must be consistent with the bearing surface.kinda off the subject,but which do you think is more important for long range accuracy? most long range shooters back here think bearing surface but my feelings are base to ogive.

I was shooting a 338 EDGE yesterday and got velocity readings on a 10 round string of 2922,2922,2923,2931,2932,2921,2922,2931,2922,2921 now this is really good with a 10 shot ES of 11 fps, but as you can see something caused 3 rounds to be out of the norm. I went to the box measured the SMK's and found the long occasional variations for ogive to base length. Having seperated a group of one length and same weight I got an ES of 5 fps. Now I don't know if that is the ogive to base measurement or if the ogive to base differences are actually the same on all, but the bearing surfaces are different, then sorting them by ogive to base measurements also sorted the same bearing surface measurments. I can tell you that the sorting & measuring does help.

Shawn, I should have my bbl and stock in a month or so and I'll be ready to send it all to you for a build.One thing I always keep forgetting to ask you is the question of freebore.Besides velocity,have you found any other differences between a std chambering and one with freebore?Does freebore have a big effect on accuarcy?I love speed,but not if it really causes the accuracy to fall off.Thanks Jack In Vegas.

Jack,

You've asked me to open a real can of worms. It is my opinion that as long as the action/barrel job is square and true especially the chamber being centered on the bore axis, that small amounts of freebore do not effect accuracy any <font color="red"> </font> practical <font color="black"> </font> amount. In the 338 Edge configuration I usually see a 50-100 fps increase in .050" freebore. I set my own up like this.

Went out with a friend today to setup some field shots for an upcoming LRH class. Setup a R&amp;R reactive steel target with 10" disk @ 811 yards. I drug the Edge out checked conditions:
Temp 67 deg
BAR 26.7
Hum 64%
Alt 3527'
Wind R to L 3-4 mph

I dialed in 17.25 MOA elevation and 1.00 MOA right wind. First round solid hit and good flash from the target, second same, third same. It just about shoots its self. I took some pictures through the Swarovski LRF and tried to catch a flash of the target in action but was unsuccessful. We setup the rest of our sites and shooting areas and also setup a 12" R&amp;R @ 1276 yards. The shot was .98 cos downhill or 1251 yards level. I dialed in 33.00 MOA up and 1.50 MOA right wind. First round impacted .75 MOA low and .50 MOA left, fired second round, hit splash guard 0 windage and .75 MOA low, made correction and fired third round elevation 0 and 1.25 MOA right ( wind died) fourth round hit and flash of plate. Then 2 more consecutive hits for 3 in a row with no wind. Measured the group for the 3 consecutive hits at 4.881" at no time adjustments included did any round hit outside a 2 foot circle. I was pretty please with this performance for field position, laying in the rocks with a bipod and a sweatshirt for a rear bag. Tried shooting at 1882 yards but were unable to find an impact area that would show clear impacts. The first round at this distance was close enough to blow dirt on the target from out of the grass and weeds but spotting actual impacts was impossible, will have to hunt up a new spot.

811RANGED.JPG

Wow! Thanks for the report. Awesome shooting!

That area does look like a nightmare to see where shots hit. So much green! But then again, that's what is so nice about northern Idaho.

p.s. you're killing me with these reports you know. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif can't wait till I can play with mine.

Tried some loads with US865 and 300 gr SMK's. I did not have time for detailed testing but here's how it rings out so far.

My standard load is:
Fed brass
300 gr SMK
CCI 250
94.0 grains H1000
COAL 3.775" @ .050" off lands
Velocity 2842 fps
ES 5-8 fps

All other specs stated the same except for using the US865 powder.
I topped out at 110.0 grains @ 82 degrees and 2983 fps!!!
With the significant increase in velocity I hope that the group size, ES, and temperature sensitivity are as good as my stand by H1000 load. I plan to load up a small pile of the 110.0 load and run it through the grinder to see how it stacks up. I'll keep you guy up to date.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts