Shooting the 338 EDGE

[ QUOTE ]
Glad your having a good time with it. Sounds like the two of you are developing a great relationship. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, sure am! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif In fact some of the guys were making comments about me "making love" to it, to put it nicely. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Steelhead
I may be interested in coming if time permists can you email or post any details of the event. IP

[/ QUOTE ]

Idaho Preacher,

Right now the shoot is scheduled for May 4th and 5th. May 4th will mainly be setup and then there will be a dinner and discussions on how to use map, compasses, GPS's, how to use mil-dots, windage, etc. We usually do some fun shooting on this day also. On Saturday is when we go out in teams to shoot the course of fire. I don't know what is planned this year, but in years past, we've shot uphill, downhill, across canyons, out to 1400 yards and have stuck a mini "patrol shoot" in between the long range shots. (a patrol shoot is when you use a AR15, FAL, M1A or whatever to take out some short range targets, 200 yards or less, just for fun)

I'll post more on the shoot when I get more information.

Devin

I was looking for several thing when I started on it, to sum it up, I wanted the most cartridge for the least amount of work. All other things being equil capacity is capacity. I wanted the most capacity in a standard magnum bolt face I could get without fire forming etc. In the 338 RUM if the powder was slow enough you could not even get close to enough in it and if you could it would preasure up before reaching capacity. In necking up the 300 RUM to 338 Edge RL25 would fill the case at top preasure and worked well in longer barrels. US 869 will give 80-100 fps over my favorite H1000 load, however there are more important things than max velocity. The thing I love about the 338 Edge besides tiny groups is tiny groups at long range in part due to the ability to get extremely small ES in velocity. Another thing that is better than more velocity is a load that shoots very well and doesn't change velocity with tempature. With those attributes it makes for a rifle that is not finicky and instills a great ammount of confidence by always doing what it is susposed to.

[ QUOTE ]

Nice shooting. That Edge had all of us salivating for one of our own. Right now some of us are looking at building some on a savage platform.

AJG308

[/ QUOTE ]

I have been thinking of doing something similar also. I was wondering what action do you have to use to get one the proper length? I think getting one that will feed the shells would be even another story.....

[ QUOTE ]
I was looking for several thing when I started on it, to sum it up, I wanted the most cartridge for the least amount of work. All other things being equil capacity is capacity. I wanted the most capacity in a standard magnum bolt face I could get without fire forming etc. In the 338 RUM if the powder was slow enough you could not even get close to enough in it and if you could it would preasure up before reaching capacity. In necking up the 300 RUM to 338 Edge RL25 would fill the case at top preasure and worked well in longer barrels. US 869 will give 80-100 fps over my favorite H1000 load, however there are more important things than max velocity. The thing I love about the 338 Edge besides tiny groups is tiny groups at long range in part due to the ability to get extremely small ES in velocity. Another thing that is better than more velocity is a load that shoots very well and doesn't change velocity with tempature. With those attributes it makes for a rifle that is not finicky and instills a great ammount of confidence by always doing what it is susposed to.

[/ QUOTE ]

Shawn,

Thanks for the response. The reason I inquired about it was due to the case capacity testing I performed with some powders that I have seen used in both the EDGE and the 338RUM. None of the loads I have seen here on this website or have been given via email fills the 338RUM case to the neck shoulder junction with a 24" drop tube (ie not compressing/crunching the powder). I have since built one that is 4ft long but have not tried it as of yet.

So, my thinking is that if I am not running out of case capacity for a 225 accubond, your recommendations about little or no advantage for the EDGE ring true about smaller bullets coupled with shorter barrels (26"-27"). I appreciate your candor and the information you have supplied to me and all of us on this board.

James

James,

Your absolutely right with the smaller bullets and shorter barrel lengths. The advantage of the Edge is almost nothing. The added capacity comes into play with a 30" tube and the 300 SMK. There is a pretty fair difference here between the 338 RUM and the Edge in those conditions. After looking at several bullets on paper and then seeing them perform back to back I feel the 300 is the way to go. The 225 is faster and flatter but again I'd rather take my mechanical advantage in windage.

[ QUOTE ]
James,

Your absolutely right with the smaller bullets and shorter barrel lengths. The advantage of the Edge is almost nothing. The added capacity comes into play with a 30" tube and the 300 SMK. There is a pretty fair difference here between the 338 RUM and the Edge in those conditions. After looking at several bullets on paper and then seeing them perform back to back I feel the 300 is the way to go. The 225 is faster and flatter but again I'd rather take my mechanical advantage in windage.

[/ QUOTE ]

Shawn,

Again thanks for the input and response. My project that I am working on is a magazine fed custom rifle. I could open up the magazine well, but I prefer not to alter it from its original configuration. Since I am limited to a length of 3.700", I thought that the best round for me would be the 338 RUM since the barrel would be 26-27" and this would be limited to shots at 700 yards or less over my food plots I have planted. Now for my single shot custom actioned rifles with long barrels, the 338 EDGE among others, is a definate possibility.

I want to again thank you for your insight and commentary on this subject and answering my questions a while back in my emails.

James

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.