338 EDGE

Hardly anything. Oh, yea mine has a fluted barrel and is a repeater. That is it. Same bullet, velocity, optics, brake design, barrel, blah, blah, blah. I mean if it works use it some more, if it really works use it forever.

Shawn,I have my bbl,my Manners stock,and my Rem. action ready to send you.The one thing I'm waiting for is the new magazine system Wyatt's is coming out with.Do you know anything about this system?I know Kiff is making it,and Wyatt's is supposedly in the last stage of refining it before they start selling them.Have you heard of/seen them yet?

Awesome velocity, I am currently shooting your standard H1000 load and have been very impressed. I shot yesterday morning and it was showing -12 deg.F. I had a little trouble keeping the group sizes down because of the shivering, but I managed to ream off two three shot 1" groups at 300 yds. The cold temp is playing havoc with my velocity as I am just past 2810 fps with my 28" barrel. I look forward to hearing more about the load with US869. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I use the long window mag. It allows for 3.775" with breathing room. You can get dies from anybody that builds dies almost everyone has them as custom order though. I have opened up 300 ultra dies to make them for people before.

Redding makes small runs of them sometimes they have them sometimes it is 2-3 months. They are still considered a custom die and they charge accordingly for them.

yeah, as i found out.
gonna call rcbs to see if they have any today.

would you say that 250 gr match kings are adequite for elk to 800 yards ? or should i looked at another bullet ?
starting now for next elk season, get the gun built, get brass,dies,etc, then bullet test.
my shots wont be past 800 yards.

and you suggest .050 freebore over the 3.775 oal ?

I have run freebore up to .100" in the Edge's. I like to run .050" in mine just to help back off peak chamber preasure and gain some velocity. The 250 SMK is a good bullet but if i was going that light I would just run a 225 Accubond. My personel feeling is I like to run the 300 gr, SMK. It does drop more but is superior in wind drift by a large margin at distance. I like to shoot bone when possible. The whole optimum bullet performance debate comes down to a couple thing:
1. at the impact velocity of a give distance will the bullet open up in a soft tissue only shot if I fail to connet bone?
2. on that same shot will the bullet hold together long enough to penetrate deeply enough if I hit large bone mass.
With those criteria in mind it is a balancing act of do I get a quick expanding bullet for behind the shoulder shooting and hope not to be stopped short of the vitals if I drift into a shoulder (I'd like to think I am smart enough to know I cannot place the bullet perfectly every time) I have seen shoulder hits with good guns and good bullets fail to penetrate the shoulder at distance but shoot clear through a chest shot. On the other side of the coin do I shoot a VLD style match bullet for it's traits (mostly less wind drift) and plan to shoot bone but hope I don't punch a small hole through a between the ribs lung shot from unseen drift? Hole punching will occur when no bone is struck and impact velocities get low enough. You can cure some of these issues by limiting your range to certain impact velocities. I love the 300 SMK and until something else comes along to replace it I will continue to use it. I have seen this though, impact velocities over 2000 fps seem to usually have dramatic results on even soft tissue only hits, if you get much below 2000 fps it can start to pin hole its way through. Bone contact out to 1500 fps is dramatic and instant but your betting the farm on your ability to connect with large bone at over 1000 yards, a pretty tall order. Clear as mud right?

my gunsmith buddy is talking to me about the 2 338 rums he built for himself and a 338 lazz titan..
he's using 225 gr barnes tsx's and out of a douglas 26" barrel. he's getting @3200 fps, with 95 gr's of rldr 25.
the other 338 rum is a 30" lilja, and same load is getting @3340, for a @160 fps gain, so the 338 rum likes a long barrel.
now on the other hand 105 grains of rldr 25 in the titan with the same 225 grain barnes tsx is giving him 3406.

he has the reamer and dies already for the titan, and is wondering what the advantage the edge has over the titan ??
first off i told him, price of brass, dies are more expensive for the 338/300 rum over the lazz.

so what are you able to get for velocity and accuracy with a 225 out of the edge over a titan ??

he's making me second guess my decision to go with the edge ??

keep me on track guys....

why would i go with the edge over the titan ?
the titan is bigger, has more case capicity, hence able to run bullets faster, non belted casing, headspaced on the shoulder instead of the belt.
good brass, and his ability to do this easily because of experience...
plus cost to me 0.00 !!!
other than components......

what should i do and why ??

The Edge sends a 225 Accubond down range at 3300+. The brass for the Edge has no belt either but is a standard magnum boltface (a good thing). You can get brass for about .46-.48 each. You can't touch Laz stuff for anywhere near that. You will get slightly more performance from the Laz but at the cost of more $ for brass, to build the rifle, and general lack of components. I would use the edge and don't look back. Ultimately you will have to choose, but I know what I would do.

Scratch the Lazzyphony-eerr-I mean the Lazzeroni. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Brass sucks for concentricity and consistency, and costs an arm and a leg. Also, burning 10 more grains of powder to get another 100 fps is absolutely frivolous. Neither you or the animal will ever tell the difference between 3300 or 3400 fps in the field but you will notice a huge difference in barrel life and barrel heat and they will both be worse for the Lazz.

If the Edge is yet too exotic for you, just get a 338 ultra and live happily ever after. Plenty (actually overkill) for your 800 yard shots or closer and dies, brass, and data are very easy to come by. It'll launch 225 grain bullets at 3150-3200 and absolutely flatten anything they touch whether you hit bone or heart. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.