338 EDGE

we talked again last night and i scrapped the laz idea, like you said 10 grains more 100 fps gain, nahhh.
so far it's gonna start as a 338 rum, with the wyatts box, and action opened up to get a longer oal.
we'll see how she runs, and then maybe go edge.
i am also having a 300 rum made up at the same time, so i'll have 2 to compare performance's side by side...
the next step will be edge...

shawn have you every did a edge with a mike rock 5r carbon fiber barrel? that would make it lighter.but would it be as stiff? thanks new shooter

I have one on order from ABS right now to do that very project. It will be a while before I receive the parts and get it done but will let you know how it turns out.

[ QUOTE ]
shawn have you every did a edge with a mike rock 5r carbon fiber barrel? that would make it lighter.but would it be as stiff? thanks new shooter

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll let you know in about 6 months (hopefully) how I like it. Just ordered the bbl the other day.

Just wanted to let everyone know I am stocking Edge dies. I keep a modified RCBS set and a Redding premium set in stock. The RCBS set is a 2 die set, the Redding is a FL 30-338 expander button die, a FL bushing die, and a micrometer seating die.

Shawn, Can 375 rum brass be necked down to make 338 edge brass. I would rather neck brass down than up.

Did some field shooting with JR and his new Edge a couple of days ago. It has a Broughton 30" 6 flute tube, a 700 action, HS Preecision PSS stock, DE cheekpiece, custom slab brake, Nightforce 40 MOA base and LW rings, topped with a 5.5-22x56mm NXS NPR1. In his initial groups he shot several under 1/4" @ 100 yards!!! We spotted a rock across a canyon that looked like trouble and was about to charge so we deemed it a target of interest. I lazed the distance at 1693 yards. JR dialed up 50.50 moa per the Exbal PPC program, (894 inches or 74.5 feet) I read 1.25 MOA left wind and told him to send it. I watched for about 2.5 or 3 seconds for the trace to drop in to the target area. The shot landed 1.50 MOA low windage spot on. We started to look around for the cause of the low impact and noticed the wind at our backs was dropping into the canyon giving us a slight down draft. I called up 1.50 moa and Jr fired, I watched the trace drop right into the rock just high of center. Once was luck hit it again! With that Jr loaded and fired another round impacting on the rock within 5 inches of the first hit. Shooting in canyon country is difficult at these distances just the slight 2 mph wind coming from behind us was enough to ruin a first round hit when uncompensated for. The tough part once you notice these conditions is trying to guess their effect. It just takes more trigger time in field conditions.
JR338EDGESTJOE.JPG

Shawn,

Are you seeing any velocity differences with the Broughton tube vs. Hart, etc....? Also, what contour is that on JR rifle?

TMR,

I am seeing 30-35 fps additional from the Broughton tubes over the Hart barrel with the Edge and 30" tube length. Accuracy is a flip of the coin either way so far. The conture is .950" @ muzzle with 3/8" full profile flutes. It also has one of the brakes I designed for the 338 AM.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.