338 EDGE at the PR&GC Paddock shoot

steelhead

Every year around the beginning of May, Parma Rod and Gun club puts on a long range shoot at Paddock Reservoir, North East of Payette. We set up targets and designate rock targets anywhere from 200 yards out to 1200 yards. The Course of fire is around 8 miles long total, in which we get to 4 wheel drive into various Firing points. Great Fun! This year also included a skee rapel down into a canyon between the new dam and the old dam. Once down in the canyon, we got to shoot through a hole in the old dam at a rock target on the other side. To do this we had to sit partially in the run off creek from the new dam above us.

This year I got to shoot through the course of fire twice. Once on Friday night and the other on Saturday. Each time with a different partner. Anyway on Friday night I shot the 338 EDGE exclusively and on Saturday I switched back a forth between my .308 and the .338 Edge.

One of the most comments I got through the whole shoot was how hard the 338 EDGE hit its target with. Against the rock targets the 308's would sound like a small clap of your hands, when the 338 EDGE hit, it sounded like a big thump. In fact, many a boulder succommed to the force that the 300 gr SMK delivered to it.

At one point in the shoot we were shooting down a canyon at a 17 degree angle at two steel silhouettes targets made from 1/2" thick 500 bruneel(sp?) plate. One was 36" high by 18" across, the other was a half target at 20" high and 18" across. The targets were sitting 600 yards away. We were to hit each target 5 times. After hitting the big target all 5 times I then set my sights on the half target. I scored a first round hit, which looked to be a little low, so I chambered a second round held a little high on the target and fired. I recovered from the recoil just in time to watch the stationary target tip right over! The Score Keeper started cussing me out, because there were still two more teams that needed to shoot. All I could do was laugh and tell the score keeper that the target was dead! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif It was a very cool sight! After the stage was over we went down to set the target up and I had hit it just right at the top of the head, which was apparently enough to force the target over.

On Saturday, the wind blew like crazy!! Average velocity in some areas was 15 mph, with gusts up to 28 mph. The EDGE again was an advantage here again. I didn't need nearly as much windage correction as others in the group who were firing .308's.

Here are a few pix from the event:

Here's one of one of the guys decending the canyon:
Descent-7.jpg

Here's one where I'm about to shoot down the canyon at the two steel targets I talked about earlier:

TRP-5C.jpg

Here I am changing my tire that I slashed on some sharp rocks on the decent out of the canyon:

Flat-Tire-4.jpg

Here I am about to engage some targets with my EDGE:

IMG_0090.JPG

And lastly, here I am shooting through the hole in the dam:

IMG_0117.JPG

Great fun! Great People to shoot with! and an Awesome rifle!!

Devin

That looks like alot of fun!!! Next year I bet they'll say 30 cal and below. That is what most of the competitions around here do. We still got to listen to them whine and cry last year when Steve was hammering their steel w/his 270 AM!!!

[ QUOTE ]
How many rounds did it take to make the hole in the dam?

Festus

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny guy! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
That looks like alot of fun!!! Next year I bet they'll say 30 cal and below. That is what most of the competitions around here do. We still got to listen to them whine and cry last year when Steve was hammering their steel w/his 270 AM!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what happened to me last year at the West Coast Tactical match, they weren't prepared for my 338 EDGE and I blew apart some of their targets. So this year they put a caliber restriction in place.

At this shoot, they were ok with it, because the targets were a lot farther away and most were just big boulders. Plus a few of them are wanting to build 338 EDGE's of their own and I think they wanted to see what mine was capable of doing. Needless to say they were impressed! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Great read and pictures too!!!

Man, the 338 Edge sounds like a great cartridge. One of these days I am going to have a big 338 built. I am thinking about the 338 Allen Mag or 338 Edge. It will be awhile before I can get one of those built, however, one day I will get one. I am currently getting ready to build a super heavy 6x284 for long range varminting, so my money is tied up in that project. I can't wait to finally get one of these big 338's built, and Kirby will definently be the gunsmith for this project.

Anyhow, great story. Sounds like a really fun shoot.

Wildcat

steelhead,

Good write up and pics.

In one pic you're laying on a mat in another it looks like you are laying on maybe a gun case or drag bag. If I may ask' what are the details of the shooting mat in the earliest pic?

Thanks

Roy,

That is the Galatti shooting matt/drag bag/back pack. They come in Olive Drab, Tan and black. The OD and Tan can be seen in the pictures. I am a dealer for them and most of the guys in our shooting group have bought them from me.

They worked great for this shoot. Some of the guys used them as back packs for the rappel and everyone used them as shooting mats.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.