338 EDGE

I have not played with fast twist barrel on game 1-10, .308" and 1-10 .338" barrels. In the soft material testing I did with the 300 gr SMK, the bullets below 1800 fps usually folded in half I was not experiencing any fragmentation. The same bullet at 2900 fps was very unpredictable most of the time it would breakup, occasionaly it would plug the tip and zip through like a FMJ. Strange things these guns. I hope to get some more good field data soon. I have a customer using a 338 Lapua with the 225 Accubond locally and I hope to get some more 300 SMK data preferably on an elk in a few weeks.

[ QUOTE ]
<font color="purple"> I think for less than 1k the Accubond will work the best for what you want, so long as it shoots well for you. I have had lots of report of the 225 Accubond shooting very well out of other 338 super mags. I did not shoot much better than 1/2 - 5/8 with it, but did not spend a fair amount of time with it. I use a 300 Ultra with 200 gr Accubonds for a packing rifle and the 300 SMK / 338 EDGE load for LRH. I have had good success with the 300 gr SMK on game from small to large at distances from 70-1200 yards. … For the packing gun I believe that the Accubond is one of the best things going for LRH especially in 30 cal.

[/ QUOTE ] </font>
</font>

When I called nosler complaining they had dropped the .375 BT line, cust svs told me to just use the Accubonds. I asked why they dropped the BT's. [ QUOTE ]
<font color="purple"> We don't want our customers ****ing of cape buffalo's.

[/ QUOTE ] </font>
Apparently the BT's ****ed off a cape buffalo while the Accubonds drop them.

The Accubond is of course bonded and the jacket out to the ogive is about twice as thick. The Accubond impacts at close range out of the 300 ultra have held together retaining 70-85% of their weight even at high velocity impact, yet they still expand well at lower velocities. I just wish that Nosler would scale the 200 gr 30 cal Accubond up to 338 and make a high BC 338 version at about 270-280 grains.

[ QUOTE ]
I just wish that Nosler would scale the 200 gr 30 cal Accubond up to 338 and make a high BC 338 version at about 270-280 grains.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, no doubt! I would even settle for a 250 grain bullet. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Hi took my wife and the .338 edge out to fill her moose tag. after hunt all day about 6 pm a bull moose step out of the trees at 360 yds. The wife (debbie) ask if she /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif should shoot it? I said it was up to her it being a spike she ask if it would eat better than the one i killed (a 5 year old in rut bull) yes i said. She adjusted the scope and layed down. her frist shot hit the bull high in the back her(gun being way to long) 2nd shot hit the bull in the shoulder at 400 yds. the bull took two steps and droped. The bullet was a 300 smk. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif we recoved the bullet in the hide on the far shoulder it was mushroomed perfect weighting a 190 grs. will try to get a pic. of the bullet on soon. I would not hesatate to use these bullets on any game. I am very proud of her. her frist kill. by the way she took shawn's long range hunting class. And she new what to do thanks shawn great class /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Nice story

400 yds is a good shot for anybody. Congratulations to her.

Women often have a different perspective on hunting and shooting and it doesn't surprise me that she would decide based upon having to eat the moose. Eating what I shoot is a very touchy subject at my house. Secondly, after 30 years of marriage there is no way my wife would listen to anything I had to say on shooting. She has figured out how stupid I am. Sounds like Shawn did a good job.

Matt,

Glad everything went as planned. Debbie did quite well in the Long Range Hunting class not many guys wanted to follow her shooting on the range. I got a copy of the bullet photo and it is posted below. To the uneducated a 400 yard shot is childs play, but I believe that the forum members will all agree a 400 yard hunting shot ( especially for a new LRH shooter ) is something to be proud of.
MATTSBULLET.jpg

Matt,
Congrats to Debbie on her first Long Range Kill. I am sure that you were very proud of her as well. Good luck on future hunts. I am looking forward to deer season in my neck of the woods. Thanks for the photo and feed back on the 300 gr Match King, I hope to have the same results.

Good Luck,
One Shot

Hi, Don't want to hijack anything here but I've wondered for quite some time about the Federal 300RUM brass. Some folks think the Remington brass is fine and others don't like it and like the Federal.

Is the Federal really that much better, and why?

Is the Federal 300RUM brass more readily available than it has been? I know there was a shop that had several thousand cases of it that you could order 500-1000 cases from. Is this still the only source?

Thanks for the information.

The Federal brass is certainly more uniform. I believe it to be better brass, but would not loose any sleep if Remington was the only brass I could find. I have not been to tell any accuracy difference that I could trace to the brass.

Thank you, Shawn.

How is the Federal brass more uniform--wall thicknesses, volume, etc.?

I was talking to Brent Moffit about this about this time last year and he'd done some volume testing of Remington 300RUM brass by weighing the case and then filling same-length trimmed cases precisely and consistently with water and weighing again. What he found over weighing quite a large number of cases was a remarkable consistency in volume. I found the same thing when I talked to him, analyzed his method and then did the same. Necks can be turned and trimmed to adjust for inconsistencies to a degree, but isn't volume from case to case going to be a factor in the overall pressure created and thus velocity? So this seems to me, on the surface at least, to be a fairly major factor. What to you think?

I don't know, there's probably some flaws in this method and I'm not trying to start an argument or anything--I would love to buy the Federal brass (where do you get it anyway?--I lost the link to that one shop that had it)but I've seen a number of posts that seem to go either way on which is better. Doesn't seem to be any clear winner. So I'm just wondering what you mean when you say Federal brass is more consistent.

Thanks,

jmden

In general the Fed brass is more consistant. Wall thickness, case weight, case volume, and the necks in particular are more consitant in thickness. I did notice a slightly better extreme velocity spread with the Fed but only 3 fps the Rem brass shot 12 to 13 fps for extreme spread and I would get single digits from the Fed. Group sizes were practically identical at 300 yards. I believe that the Fed brass might show an advantage at 1000+. When it is all said and done I just like to know everything is as "right" as possible. I got mine from D&amp;L sports in Gilette WY. I will try to dig up the # for you.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.