300 yd max Deer/Bear rifle. (308 vs 338 fed)

AJ Peacock

OK, I'll be receiving my 338AM in the next month and I'm already thinking of my NEXT rifle! I don't think this sickness is easily cured.

The 338 Federal has my curiosity up.

Even though I have a bunch of rifles that would easily work for a 300yd bear/deer cartridge. They are all barrel burners. So I was debating a short barreled .338 Federal, figuring it would take a bunch of rounds before requiring a new barrel. This would give me a centerfire rifle to practice with, that I wasn't concerned with wasting the barrel on (been there done that, got the T-shirt).

So, even though I am a Rem 700 bigot, they don't offer the .338 Fed. I'm either stuck with a custom, or a Sako/Tikka.

For a 300yd rifle, I'm sure the Tikka would be fine, (anyone out there had experience with it?). I have one in 7mm-08 that I really don't care for, but my kids shoot it well.

Or on the other hand, a .308 would do nearly the same thing and I could get it in a Rem 700 action.

Thoughts? I really like the idea of the larger caliber, but even though I own some non-Remmies, its hard for me to put hard earned $$'s down for one.

Maybe Remington will soon offer the 338 Federal? That would sure make this an easy decision.

OK, nuf ramblin. Thanks for any of you comments.

AJ

I've been in quandaries as you describe. I always opt for the new/fancier/more intriguing option. It has always been wrong for more reasons that I desire to list.

The 308 will serve you well for the criteria you describe even for decent practice for the AM. I'd go w/the 308.

338 Federal

Go with the 338 Federal, or even a 358 Winchester. I have a 358-it is a great 300 yard rifle, just as I believe the Federal would be. Look close at an Encore. They are a great fast handling rifle. Tom.

If it were me looking for a close range bear/deer/ brush beater, I would look at the new 375 ruger. Built off a remington action and maybe a pac nor barrel you would have a lower buget custom that would be great for what you discribed. especially in the 18-20'' barrel range.

seems like it'd be pretty easy to have a .338 barrel chambered in the 338federal.

i like the sounds of it, but i think if i needed a bigger rifle, it'd be a 300wm or maybe the 35whelen

AJ, I'm with Roy, The 308 win is accurate, easy to load for, has cheaper components when reloading, has excellent factory ammo if you don't reload, and barrel life will fit your requirement for long life. If you don't own a 308 you owe yourself one.

Personally I was never a fan , untill I owned one, now I have two.

OK, I'll be receiving my 338AM in the next month and I'm already thinking of my NEXT rifle! I don't think this sickness is easily cured.

Even though I have a bunch of rifles that would easily work for a 300yd bear/deer cartridge. They are all barrel burners. So I was debating a short barreled .338 Federal, figuring it would take a bunch of rounds before requiring a new barrel. This would give me a centerfire rifle to practice with, that I wasn't concerned with wasting the barrel on (been there done that, got the T-shirt).

So, even though I am a Rem 700 bigot, they don't offer the .338 Fed. I'm either stuck with a custom, or a Sako/Tikka.

For a 300yd rifle, I'm sure the Tikka would be fine, (anyone out there had experience with it?). I have one in 7mm-08 that I really don't care for, but my kids shoot it well.

Or on the other hand, a .308 would do nearly the same thing and I could get it in a Rem 700 action.

Thoughts? I really like the idea of the larger caliber, but even though I own some non-Remmies, its hard for me to put hard earned $$'s down for one.

Maybe Remington will soon offer the 338 Federal? That would sure make this an easy decision.

AJ

338 is good but I can't take the recoil. I like the Savage 308 for bear or deer. Shot placement is the key and easy on the shoulder for me. LOL I had always used a 308 for years and its got plenty of hurt down range for anything. My buddy shot a charging bear once with one, and the closer it got the 308 hit harder, The Grizzly charged from about 130 yards after the first hit. He said, he was nervous and didn't place the first shot good. LOL a toilet paper hunt. The bear dropped on his 3rd shot 25 yards from him. Like I say the closer the animal gets the more Ft Lbs of energy is kicking in. he said he was using 180 gr Silver tips.

AJ
Out to that range I'd definitely go for the .338Fed or .338 Marlin.

The other option would be 30-06.

I know the 06 isn't new or cool but it is the most proven caliber of all time on medium and large game in N. America.

I have killed two elk with a 338 federal and both dropped in there tracks (150 yds) , a 338 is a 338 , more powder allows farther shots but a 338 allways trumps smaller calibers on impact with less meat damage. And very low recoil.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.