300 WSM Varminter "WOW"

wildcat

Hello all,

as I mentioned in one of my posts I was able to get in contact with many individuals who are using the 300 Varminter that was devloped by Richard Franklin of Franklin Custom Rifles. For those who are new to the sight, the 300 Varminter is designed around a Tightneck .337 Diamter 300 WSM Match Chamber designed around Norma 300 WSM Brass and is specially set up to shoot the 125grn Ballistic Tip bullet at a velocity of 4000+fps. The 300 Varminter is designed around a custom Action such as a Nesika or BAT and uses the Bartlien 30", 1-15 twist barrels to obtain the 4000+fps. It is very important to understand, a normal 300 WSM Factory rifle WILL NOT obtain these velocities. The 300 Varminter is a rifle specifcally designed around the 110grn V-Max and 125grn BT.

Anyhow, I was able to meet one of the fellows who owns one of these bad boys, and he took me out on a squirrel hunt here in California. This would be my first hand account to see how the 300 Varminter performed. First thing first, the rifle was absolutely beautiful! The fit and finish were awesome. Here are the specs on this gentlemens rifle;
1. BAT 8.5 Action
2. Bartlien 30", 1-15 twist barrel
3. Richards Low Rider stock
4. Jewel 2oz trigger
5. BAT 20MOA scope base
6. Burris Signiture series 30mm Rings
7. Nightforce NXS 8x32x56mm with MLR Reticle
8. Total weight of rifle is 22 pounds

He is running the 125grn BT at 4050fps out of his rifle. He is using Norma 300 WSM Brass turned to a neck diamter of .333 with loaded round, 74.6grns of VV-N550 with a Federal 215 Match Primer.

We went to an area where we could shoot at ranges from 100 to 900 yards. The day was beautiful. It was about 70 degrees with a sight left to right wind, I would say between 3 to 5mph. Our tagets would be the small California ground squirrel.

The first group of squirrles we came upon were out at about 350 yards. The scope was zeroed at 200 yards so we put in 1MOA of elevation. He took the first shot and it threw the squirrel into the air about 10feet and into millions of tiny peices. I have been on many of varmint hunts and have seen my fair share of red mist. I have never seen RED MIST like this in all of my years of varminting.

We moved on to a group of squirrel that ranged right at 505 yards. It was my turn for the first time to shoot the 300 Varminter. I dailed in about 4.25 MOA for elevation and about a .25 MOA for windage. Took the shot and nailed it on the first shot. Once again, the varmint was easley thrown into the air about 10 feet and in millions of tiny peices. I have never seen a bullet deliver so much destruction at that range. I have never seen that type of RED MIST at these extended ranges. We took many shots from 500 to 550 yards all day because there were so many squirrels in this one area. It was very easy to hit these varmints at this range with this set up.

We decided to move to a spot that allowed us to shoot out to about 900 yards, however, the squirrels we were able to range were sitting between 780 to 810 yards. The wind was still very calm and blowing about 3 mph, We dailed in 9 MOA on the elevation and put a 1MOA in for windage. He took the first shot at a squirrel sitting on a mound at a range of 800 yards, it went right under the squirrel but still made the little bastard jumb. He put in another 1/4 of MOA in the elevation for a total of 9.25MOA. His second shot was dead on. It blew the squirrel into the air and into tiny parts. Once again the red mist even at 800 yards was like nothing I have ever witnessed in my varmint hunting years. It was my turn to take the next shot, the squirrel I found was sitting on an old oak tree and the range finder spotted him at 815 yards. I kept everthing the same in regards to elevation and windage adjustments, however, I decided to hold a tad bit higher. Boom, the bullet was on its way, WAAAM!!! nailed it and blew it to pieces. Wow!!! what a set up.

It was an awesome day, and I was able to test the 300 Varminter first hand before I receive mine. My overall impression of the 300 Varminter, it is the perfect set up for it's intened purpose which is to absolutely obliterate large and small varmints with awesome killing power at ranges out to 1000 yards. From what I see so far, and from what the other owners have informed me, the 300 Varminter is best for shots between 100 to 850 yards and if the wind is calm it works great out to 1000 yards too.

There were no signs of pressure and the rifle functioned beautifully. We did not shoot any groups with his rifle. However, he informed me his rifle will shoot .1 and .2 shot groups at 100 yards all day long.

The 300 Varminter built buy Richard Franklin is a very very accurate rifle. It is with out a doubt a super accurate long range varmint rifle. When I receive my 300 Varminter I will shoot groups and post pictures. I will also try to post a video of the 300 Varminter in action on the small squirrels. You have to see how destructive the 125grn BT at 4000+fps is. My rifle will be set up set up using a Nesika Model K 1.470 Dia. Action, Bartlein 30", 1-15 twist barrel, Richards Model #8 Stock, Jewel 2oz trigger, Vias Muzzle brake, Nesika 20MOA Rail, Burris 30mm Signiture Series Rings, topped with a Nightforce NXS 8x32x56mm with MLR reticle. After shooting my friends 300 Varminter with the 8x32x56mm Nightforce NXS with the MLR reticle, I decided this is a great reticle for my needs. It will work perfect when I need to make quick adjustment when using the 125grn BT in windy conditions.

I know there are set ups that would be better for varminting out past 1000 yards. However, for small and large varminting out to 1000 yards, the 300 Varminter is perfect and hard to beat if you want to shoot a poly tipped bullet fast and accurate that will provide the RED MIST factor and knocked down power that we varmint hunters love.

One more thing, the 300 Varminter is showing excellent barrel life even with these types of velocities. It must have somthing to do with the design of the 300 WSM case.

Also, many benchrest shooters are reporting the same excellent barrel life with the 300 WSM case. The 300 WSM could be the new 1000 yard competition cartridge king. Many 300 WSM Benchrest shooters are reporting they are getting 3000+fps with the 210grn Bergers with excellent accuracy. Anyhow, it sounds like the 300 WSM is beginning to make a name for itself in the varminting world and long range benchrest competition.

Wildcat

Last edited:
Ran the numbers on the load data and sight in information you offered. Things do not add up. Now I did not have your environmental conditions to plug in but I still ran into some pretty large variations from what you say the rifle was doing and what my Ballistic program said you should get trajectory wise.

Anyway, you way at 350 yards you dialed up 1 moa for a dead on hold. My program says that with a 125 gr 30 cal BT at 4050 fps you would need 1.8 moa to comp for drop at that range.

Interestingly enough, your numbers at 505 yards are right on the money as far as drop goes, I get 4 1/4 moa needed as well for this combo, windage is way off however. The ballistic program lists 1 1/4 moa needed for a 4 mph crosswind instead of your listed 1/4 moa. Must not have been as much wind as you thought there was or maybe it was angling at you.

At the 815 yard shot, you say you used 9 1/4 moa for a hold, and 1 moa for windage. My program says you would need 11.5 moa for drop and 2.5 moa for wind. Now as far as drop, thats a difference of around 18" off on drop. And about a foot off on windage????

Something just does not add up here?

Maybe you could offer us your environmental conditions and that would help this make sense but from what you list, the numbers do not add up.

Anyway, good shooting.

Kirby Allen(50)

Kirby, your drop and windage adjustments are propably write. I was using the drop chart that was developed by the owner. His rifle was zeroed in at 200 yards and at 300 yards his chart had 1MOA. When I took the shot at 350 yards, I held just a tad over the varmint. So, your 1.8MOA is probably correct. His chart showed 2.25MOA for 400 yards, 4.25MOA for 500 yards, 6MOA for 600 yards, 7.75 MOA for 700 Yards, 10.25 for 800 yards. I will admit I held a tad over everytime I took a shot and when it came to wind, I used the hash marks on the MLR reticle.

When I took the shot at 815 yards I did hold a tad over as I mentioned, I used the first hash mark on the elevation bar. I believe each hash mark on the MLR reticle is 2 MOA so that would have made the full adjustment to 11.25 MOA. So your caculations sounds right. Regarding windage I will admit we only had 1MOA in the scope, however, the wind was very calm and I don't even think it was even blowing when I took the shot. On some of the other shots at this range, I did use more adjustment by using the hash marks on the MLR.

Kirby, your drops and windage adjustments are correct. The conditions were very calm and perfect the day of the shooting. Wind was really never an issue. The day was awesome as far as conditions. This is a perfect set up when the conditions are calm, however, I will agree with you this is not the set up you want to use in a windy long range situation.

Kirby, I will admit,I could have kept a little better notes during the shoot. When I submitted the post I was remebering must of the info from memoery, so the windage and elevation adjustments might have a tad bit higher. When I start shooting my 300 Varminter I will take notes so I can report more accurately. I understand the confusion. I will also try and explain the environment and conditions where I am shooting.

Kirby, thanks for taking the time to read and once again I really do appreciate your expert opinion. Also, once again I want to say I am sorry for the past stuff that happened between us. It was stupid and it should have never went that far. Once again I am sorry, and I look forward to hearing about your Allen Mag and your builds. I appreciate all of your help in the past, and I am glad there is someone on this site that is as professional as you.

Wildcat

by Wildcat
When I took the shot at 815 yards I did hold a tad over as I mentioned, I used the first hash mark on the elevation bar. I believe each hash mark on the MLR reticle is 2 MOA so that would have made the full adjustment to 11.25 MOA.
I was under tthe impresion that the Nightforce MLR (Mill Line Retical) reticle was a Mill Radian reticle . That would make the first line down 1/2 Mill not 2 MOA. One Mill is equal to 3.438 MOA make the first line down 1.719 MOA. Your calculations do seem to be a bit off.

MLRReticle.jpg

Last edited:
jwp475, i used the first hash mark for sure. I have never used this type of reticle before. Your probably right, but I thought each mark was supposed to represent 2MOA.

I have always used the Double Dot reticle on my NXS scopes, however, I am going to use the MLR reticle on my 300 Varminter. I really liked the MLR retcle, however, I guess I had better learn a little more about the hash mark adjustments.

When I was taking the shots at 800 yards, I used the owners drop chart and hash marks for adjustments. It was working, because we were nailing the little bastards.

When I get my 300 Varminter, and begin shooting it, I will make sure to take notes during the hunt. Anyhow, thanks for the info on the MLR reticle. I looked on the Nightforce Web page, however, I can't find anything about the hash mark MOA. Please, if you know where I can find it, let me know.

Wildcat

by Wildcat
When I took the shot at 815 yards I did hold a tad over as I mentioned, I used the first hash mark on the elevation bar. I believe each hash mark on the MLR reticle is 2 MOA so that would have made the full adjustment to 11.25 MOA.
I was under tthe impresion that the Nightforce MLR (Mill Line Retical) reticle was a Mill Radian reticle . That would make the first line down 1/2 Mill not 2 MOA. One Mill is equal to 3.438 MOA make the first line down 1.719 MOA. Your calculations do seem to be a bit off.

MLRReticle.jpg

Your correct jwp

So each hash mark is equal to 1.719? I need to get this right, because I will be using this Reticle on my rifle.

Why not a NPR-2 and each hash mark is 2 MOA. Multiples of 2 are easier to work with

NPR-2.jpg

Or a NPR-1 and each hash mark is 1 MOA apart.

Last edited:
It also greatly depends on the power setting of the scope when your shooting as well to determine the moa spacing of the reference points.

I Prefer the NP-R1 reticle. I also prefer the 5.5-22x version for longer range shooting at smaller game. On 22x, there is 1 moa between each reference point, on 11x, you have 2 moa between each reference line. On 5.5x you have 4 moa between each line.

Makes for a very versitile system. Much easier to figure then the fractional MLR which is set up on the Mil-Dot dimension system, not moa.

Kirby Allen(50)

Thanks for the info guys regarding the scope info. I am thinking about going with NP-R2, however, aren't the windage marks 5MOA". I am not really worried about elevation, I am more concerned with windage marks so I am thinking the MLR will be better for my needs.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.