300 WSM with lighter bullets for varmints

Varmint Killer

I am new to this site and I was wondering what bullet would be good for varmint hunting out to 500 yards. I don't want to use the VLD type bullets. They are too expenive for varmint hunting and I wont need the high BC, because I will only be shooting out to 500 yards. I want to use one of the poly tipped bullets. I was wondering if anyone was using the lighter bullets out of their 300 WSM or 300 WM rifles for varminting. My rifle is a 300 WSM, trued Remington 700 action, Tooley MBR stock, Krieger 28", 1-12 twist barrel, Jewel trigger, Holland Muzzle Brake, Badger 20MOA base and 30mm Rings and topped with a Nightforce 5.5x22x56mm NXS with Double Dot reticle. My buddy uses a 30-06 for varminting. He shoots the 110grn V-Max with succes, and he has a 1-10 twist barrel. I am thinking my 1-12 twist barrel will shoot the lighter bullets pretty good. Has anybody else used the 110grn V-Max for varmint hunting? Any info would be helpful.

VK

VK, the 110grn V-Max or the 125grn Ballistic Tip will work very well for your needs. I am having a 300 WSM specifically built to shoot the 110grn V-Max and 125grn BT. The 110grn V-Max is super deadly out to around 600 yards. What powder and brass are you planning on using. I would suggest Norma 300 WSM Brass and Vhit N550 powder.

W.

Wildcat, I was going to use Vhit N160. However, I read up on the Vhit-N550 and that powder sounds very promising. They say it will give you between 100 to 200fps more velocity with less pressure. With that powder and my 28" barrel, I should be able to push the 110grn V-Max at about 3600fps. I have about 200 Winchester cases, but I am thinking about buying some Norma brass. Man, that stuff is way more expensive, is it worth the extra money and will it help with accuracy. I love the 300 WSM it's a great cartridge, and I think if I can get one of these bullets to shoot, it will be a great varmint rig for shots out to at least 500 yards.

What type of varmints do you hunt and how far out do you shoot them with the 110grn V-Max and 125grn BT before you see a drop off in performance. Also, tell me about your set up and the type of load and bullet you use.

VK

VK,

Yes, the Norma brass will increase your accuracy and Yes it's worth every penny. With your 28" barrel and using the 110grn V-Max you should have no problem reaching 3600fps, especially if you use the N550 powder.

We shoot squirrels out this way and they are fun to blow up with the V-Max bullets.

Regarding my rifle, it's currently being built right now. I should receive it in about a month. It will have a Nesika Model K Action, Bartlien 30" 1-15 twist barrel, Jewel Trigger, Richards Model #8 stock, Vias Muzzle brake, Nesika 20moa Rail, Nightforce 30mm Rings and topped off with a Nightforce 8x32x56mm NXS. My load will consist of VV-N550 powder, Norma Brass, Federal 215M Primers and 110grn V-Max. The velocity will be fast.

If you haven't noticed, you have not received too many posts. SOME, of these guys don't like V-Max and Ballistic Tip bullets for long range shooting even at the shorter end of long range shooting like 500 and 800 yard. The 110grn V-Max will work great out to 500 yards and the 125grn BT will work good out to 800 yards. I apologize ahead of time of some of them try to hijack this post.

W.

wildcat you really have nothing better to do with your time than try to start this again???? honestly????

for the record no one has any problem with vmax and ballistic tip bullets for long range work, poly tipped bullets promote great expansion in lower velocity rounds at extended range.

remember i recommended them to you a long time ago

This is really interesting.

Long barrels and slow burning powders for very light bullets with short bearing surfaces.

Should be able to acheive some fantastic velocites.

Keep us posted, ...

I ran the 30 cal - 110 VMAX in the ballistic sw and looks like you can hit 3600 feet per second fairly easy with 28 inch barrel and N550 ...

At 3800 fps, with a BC of 0.29, a zero at 300 yds, you are 3" high at 150 yds and 21" (4 MOA) low at 500 yds ...

The tipped bullets will expand MUCH more aggressively at long range compared to a match bullet. Not sure I agree with the lower price of the tipped bullets compared to the VLD however.

Bullet expansion was never a weak point of the tipped bullet, only complaint I would have is very low BC and loading them to hot. Other then that they work amazingly well.

You could get the same expansion, but less winddrift with a heavier tipped bullet but to each his own as long as they load them to sane pressures. They all work well,especially to the ranges you want to shoot to.

I would research the price thing again, not as much difference as you may think.

Kirby Allen(50)

wildcat you really have nothing better to do with your time than try to start this again???? honestly????

for the record no one has any problem with vmax and ballistic tip bullets for long range work, poly tipped bullets promote great expansion in lower velocity rounds at extended range.

remember i recommended them to you a long time ago

Exactly. And did you notice, the tone of VK's post, the words he used, the same signature only with different lettering, the same mindset all are reminiscent of Wildcat? And look at the join date of VK. Same time that the other thread got locked. What do you want to bet that VK IS wildcat? Very peculiar.

GG,

If your theory is in fact correct and Wildcat is in fact having conversations with himself just for the sake of promoting the 300 WSM as a hyper performance varmint chambering, I think there are some serious issues he has to deal with.

Could be just a coincidence but like you say, very suspicious!!!

Maybe VK will be more open to realistic advice....

Just kidding!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Now that is just freaky I mean the video of course, where is Buzzgun when you need him.

oh ya i noticed, tone, spacing, wording, signature, very suspicious.

pretty much the same thing could be said for P44 though as well

Comeon-guys-you-know-wildcat-has-had-a-hard-time-he-needs-a-friend.
Maybe-he-will-post-some-info-on-the-next-build-while-we-wait-for-this-one.
Shilo=Varmitkiller-Ha-Ha-Ha----------------good-one-BB
This-whole-post-should-be-in-the-humor-form!!
At-least-he-will-get-answers-that-he-likes-when-he-answers-his-own-questions!!

CAM

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.