300 Varminter Completed (Pictures)

GG

If Len is going to act, then he better ask some of the others to back up their allegations. There are 3-5 constantly making allegations and personnal attacks here. This whole thing started with a personal attack on Richard Franklin months ago and again on Wildcat. Nothing was said by Len on that first incident.

Just exactly who jumped out here this time and started name calling, who called who a cheater etc. It sure to hell was not Wildcat.

Are you going to ask for them to be banned also or is this call for action ONLY against Wildcat?

This sure has not been onesided!!! Spread your advice to the other side with equal enthusiasim.

BH

I have never stated and I never will state that any loading over SAAMI specs is safe. I have worked around high pressure my entire working career and there is no warning before something gives. I don't care that 30 rifles have gotten away with it I don't feel that it is safe and the dumbest thing that I have ever seen is 20 threads on a rifle that he doesn't not have yet and your backing of such says volumes about your agenda against some on this site.
I don't know why you call me a Kibyite since I don't have rifle made by Kirby, but I would rather be a friend of Kirby's than someone like you.

GG, I don't see it that way. I don't think you would sit back and let someone say you cheat people out of money when it's not true! I was accused of not paying people, A FREAKIN LIE!!!! and a false accusation. I was called a troll by Lerch, I don't care how JWP475 wants to spin it. I don't think I should have to take that and if I am going to be accused of something, that is not true, I should be able to respond anyway I see fit. If I am to be kicked off than so should Lerch and Buffalobob for their comments.

I have posted on here a ton of times and have always been helpful to people. I have sold high dollar custom rilfes to people on this board and was very professional during each deal. I have never cheated anyone out of money, and I take offense to that! I am sure if someone on here said "GG never shot that Woodchuck past 2000 yards" you would have went out of control because someone was calling you a liar. GG, I never used bad language. I did not realize Bitch would offend you or was considered so offesive. What about member "LewisH" who used the "F" Bomb on this same post. You never said one thing about him, interesting.

Bountyhunter nailed it right on the head. This whole thing got started when JWP475 called Richard's build a joke. I took offense to that and responed back. Thanks a bunch BountyHunter, you are so darn correct about all this and I appreciate it. I should have listen to you and not posted anything, but I thought it would be ok if I posted that the rifle was completed and there were pictures, WRONG.

I will make it easy, I know I have said this before, but I am done with LRH. I will e-mail Len right now and request to be taken off the site. The site is great except for a certain few. It's been real. I sent the e-mail to Len at 9:25 PM on May 24, 2008.

W.

Last edited:
JWP

IThere was not one posting anywhere about Richard stating that you could get 4000fps in the 700 action, only at tops 3800. Why don't we use that same standard now on the wildcats being posted here that "could" be overloaded as all of you claim the 300 Varminter could. Stupid is stupid no matter what the cartridge is and who makes the gun.

As for my comments on the Lapua were quoting Dan Liljas article on that very subject every time, so suppose you want to personnally attack him now too. I also posted that I recently talked with the Chandlers who claim that they did the testing for Rem with the Lapua and went up over 100k repeatedly before it showed any stress. Is that true, maybe, maybe not.

BH

If 3800 is tops in a Rem action that alone says OVER SAAMI pressure does it not.
Dan was not one sided in his opinion on the 700 actions suitability as your were in your quotes of Dan.
Yea you quoted Dan Lilja only on the part that agreed with you that the M-700 action wasn't large enough, but you ignored the part where Dan stated that in the critical areas it was as strong as a Mark 5 action and that action has been shooting cartridges of the same head size and of larger capacity than the Lapua for decades, Successfully. You even said that I better hope that my builder had plenty of insurance to cover me when it blow up in my face, yea I remember very well. Much later when Rem put the Lapua in the 700 on the market did you mention those pressure test.

GG

If Len is going to act, then he better ask some of the others to back up their allegations. There are 3-5 constantly making allegations and personnal attacks here. This whole thing started with a personal attack on Richard Franklin months ago and again on Wildcat. Nothing was said by Len on that first incident.

Just exactly who jumped out here this time and started name calling, who called who a cheater etc. It sure to hell was not Wildcat.

Are you going to ask for them to be banned also or is this call for action ONLY against Wildcat?

This sure has not been onesided!!! Spread your advice to the other side with equal enthusiasim.

BH

Bh, There have been many people turn this and others into ugly threads for sure. I surely don't feel this was one sided. However, heated debates are not against the rules. Accusing someone of being an internet troller is not against the rules either. But individual name calling and swearing ARE against the rules and Wildcat has been the only one to use these tactics.
And I am not asking for anyone to be banned. But rules are rules and if we don't abide by them, this place could turn into 24 hour campfire in a hurry and then I would have to leave!

I really hate it when things get this ugly and I know for a fact that Len doesn't like to have to boot people out of here when things go south so let's just make him not have to do that.

Last edited:
GG, I don't see it that way. I don't think you would sit back and let someone say you cheat people out of money when it's not true! I was accused of not paying people, A FREAKIN LIE!!!! and a false accusation. I was called a troll by Lerch, I don't care how JWP475 wants to spin it. I don't think I should have to take that and if I am going to be accused of something, that is not true, I should be able to respond anyway I see fit. If I am to be kicked off than so should Lerch and Buffalobob for their comments.

W.

You are right, I wouldn't sit back and let someone say I cheated them or make false accusations. But I would do it in a way that didn't break rules of the board. You should have heard how many people called BS on my 2000+ yard kill. But it was all handled off this board and no one had to read it but me. No big deal. You just gotta let some things roll if you know what I mean.

By the way, Lerch said you were trolling, not that you looked like a troll.

And you can respond any way you see fit--on an email. Not on this forum. You could have even sent a PM instead.

And I never saw anyone use the F bomb but I admit I didn't read every post in all 20 some odd threads on this subject. If someone did, then they broke the rules too. B**** is not nearly as bad as the f-bomb but both are univerally considered profane and not necessary here. They don't offend me more than anyone else but rules are rules.

Last edited:
JWP

Trust me you would not be a friend of mine, our ethicial standards do not match.

Even if 20 threads, who appointed you and others to ridicule and attack him? Just ignore them and he will quit. If Len wanted him to quit, all he had to do was tell him. That is his job, not yours, mine or anyone elses to publically do it on the board.

I am not backing Wildcats threads in the remotest. I had privagtely emailed him and "suggested" that he not post until way after he has concrete results IF then. I personally think he is either looney or crazy like a fox to keep doing this. However no one should not be attacked by board participants for posting and being proud of their gun even if excessive unless by Len.

As for your contention again of 30 unsafe guns, that does not even pass the common sense test. You are assuming that these guns are owned and reloaded by complete idiots who are incapable of seeing the same signs and indications that all these wildcats are being loaded with here on this board. How is one totally unsafe and one totally safe (as you must feel as you have not spoke up about safety once with them). I said before that anyone who really believed that crap to to be true go on 6mmbr and post it and be called out to prove it. Guess what, no one here had the morale courage to do that because they knew that they could not prove it and and they would get their *** handed to them while here they could all gang up on Wildcat toghether. That is called hypcrisy and cowardice if you really believe what you said about 30 unsafe guns out there.

If you are really concerned about safety, then take a close look at some of the postings here by novice reloaders using wildcat cartridges with no published specs. Who says that they cannot exceed the safe parameters while reloading? We do not even know what they are. The only difference here is with the WSM we have a fairly accurate standard out already. I have not seen you post one time about any of the dangers on these others.

High performance cartridges should not be be for novices in either case and go slow is the word.

I do take exception to the attacks you started against Franklin and others jumped in. There is a clear double standard here on who is allowed to post about their guns etc and that is being talked about quite a bit behind the scenes in emails and PMs, so do not assume that your are sitting on the high ground here. Some of the participants would surprise you. That is my agenda and nothing else.

Anyone who has spent more than a day on this board will clearly see other extremely clear and highly promoted agendas too and you are uncharacteristically silent on those.

BH

Last edited:
I said and I will say again, I do not consider it to be a safe practice to load and shoot loads above SAAMI standards. If that defies logic as you know it then so be it. I know a man that had a bolt blow out and hit him in the face last year and he was shooting factory loads and he does not reload. So again shooting loads above SAAMI spec pressure IMHO is not a safe prtactice.

Last edited:
JWP

Trust me you would not be a friend of mine, our ethicial standards do not match.

BH

Thank God I can stop worring now...
Beers.gif
thumb.gif

The best post you've ever made thanks..

Amen to everything bountyhunter has said. Certain people need to quit insulting others in semi-tactful ways in hopes of inciting a response...

I'm excited about my 338 Edge I'm going have built. I have a couple topics about it, and haven't been verbally raped yet...at least spread the love.

Tyler: I went back to see how majestic some of BountyHunter's original posts on this topic were. Here's what I found:

BountyHunter
Find Me on the Map Join Date: Jun 2007

I am deleting my posts. This thing turned "fugly" and personal and this is not what this board is about.

I have some fault in that too.

Recommend everyone else delet too.

BH

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by BountyHunter : 10-07-2007 at 03:50 PM.

You might go back and read some of Mr. BountyHunter's posts in response to this 300 Varminter before you place him up on a pedestal for posting etiquette and manners. He's had his share of involvement here. That said, he deserves credit for deleting his "fugly" & personal posts. I'm not trying to take advantage of the fact that I found this post rather than the one I remembered and searched for. Just putting some perspective on the history of posting.

I might add that BountyHunter has also tried to discourage wildcat from poking the hornet's nest and fanning the flames... all to no avail.

I ain't got a dog in this race, know nothing about it, except when the subject of the 300 varminter first came up, it was still called the 300 wsm, wasn't it?

who in they're right mind would publish info about a cartridge loaded to those specs for all to see? who knows who might read it and say wow, I can load my 300 wsm shadow up to 3800 fps and go try. thats my main concern, when did he change the name to 300 varminter?
RR

Ridge Runner,

I don't think 'changed the name' is the best descriptor. Another name was attached to the original 300 WSM, that being the 300 Varminter. There are now two names for the same cartridge. The two cartridges are dimensionally identical based on the threads I've read. The 300 Varminter is the 300 WSM (recommended to use Norma brass) loaded up to higher pressures and, consequently, higher velocity. Which has been the primary concern and objection of a number of posters here. These same high pressure 300 Varminter cartridges could be mistakenly loaded into any 300 WSM rifle, factory or custom, and fired by the unsuspecting. It has been argued that the cartridge design should have been modified (rather than only adding another name to the 300 WSM), such as lengthening the case head to shoulder distance, in order to prevent it from being mistakenly loaded into standard factory 300 WSM rifles which were not designed or intended to be fired with the 300 Varminter high pressure rounds.

I tend to think it would have been wise to modify the design slightly to prevent chambering these handloaded 300 WSM cases in standard factory 300 WSM rifles light bulb, and then it should be called something like the 4000 Varminter.

4000 fps or bust!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.