300 Varminter Completed (Pictures)

JWP

I got ****ed when the the Kirby PR and Marketing team led by you and a couple others post "what a joke" thread denigrating a highly respected smith Richard Franklin BH

I've tried to stay out of this but now you've drug me in. It was I who posted this and it has nothing to do w/Kirby or JWP. If you don't think it's joke that someone would write ".162" @ 100 yds equals 1.62" @ 1000 yds" on a target then your not as smart as I thought you were. At least "the Kirby PR and Marketing Team" doesn't put BS like this out there. If it stinks it stinks. It doesn't matter who wrote it or how respected they are.

Last edited:
I am staying out of this round, said my peace several times on earlier rounds but I am glad that BH seems to feel the need to include me in the topic even though I have yet to post anything on this particular string of posts.

So BH, thanks for including me, AGAIN. Seems you sit around fuming about me even when we are not conversing in any way. Glad to know I am always on your mind to the point you have to try to pull me into a debate just to start another ****in match.

Again, said my peace several times, I have communicated with Wildcat on the subject as well as contacting Richard Franklin directly and talking with him and having a totally honest conversation with him about his 300 Varminter, several in fact. I have stated my concerns with Wildcat and also discussed them with Richard and he fully agreed with all of my concerns that they were valid concerns and that only highly experienced handloaders should own a 300 Varminter and load it to these levels and then only in a rifle specifically for such loadings. I still mentioned my concern about these loads getting into a factory 300 WSM rifle and he said that was a valid concern but that he made the point very clear to his customers when getting one of these rifles the critical importance to keep these loads out of any rifle other then the one designed for it. I put the topic to rest for me after I spoke with Richard and posted on the conversation.

Already wasted to much time on this but if your going to bring up my name I will reply.

Last edited:
Of BN will bring your name into the thread even if you are not involved. BH has an agenda of sort with you ( the reason for such known only to BH), even Ray Charles could see through BHs thinly veiled shots at you.

I thought this was LONG RANGE HUNTING not JERRY SPRINGER. Lately it seems there has been and increasing amount of attacks on this site. The funny thing is, it seems to be the same group of people.

If I call my .25-06 a .25 Varminter... does that mean I can run the 75 V-Max at 4000+ even though the pressure would be through the roof?

John----don't know how I missed this thread! Made some good points here and I talked to a couple of my friends who do this type of testing and you know who they are from our conversations. That being said please don't mention them by name but you are correct on the pressure issue--many people who think that they know what they are doing are really just playing with a bomb.

Metal is funny in the different way it reacts to stress but eventually if pushed beyond its intended properties stress fractures will start, culminating in a big surprise for the unlucky person pulling the trigger…

Call me later..

He sold it long ago if I remember correctly. I think Bill Bailey bought it just to resell it as he got it for a very low price. Again, that was a long time ago, just going off memory here.

OMG!!!!
This is too funny.........
Hope Wildcat is doing OK, has a job and building some new guns.
BUT, I just can't resist-----LOL

Hey-guys;-I-am-building-a-new-Long-range-rifle.
I-am-trying-to-decide-on-which-round-to-go-with.
I-am-trying-to-decide-between-the-30-378-Weatherby-Mag
or-the-30-338-Lapua-Mag.
The-30-378-Weatherby-Mag-is-what-I-am-leaning-towards.
The-30-378-holds-more-powder-which-will-allow-for-higher
velocities.
I-wont-have-to-neck-it-down-because-Norma-makes-the-brass
I-am-also-leaning-towards-a-tight-chambered-30-378-Wthby-Mag.-It-would-have-a-.338-neck-diameter.
I-am-also-considering-the-30-338-Lapua-Mag.
Can-you-guys-give-me-suggestions-and-your-thoughts
on-which-round-to-go-with.

Thanks
Wildcat

P.S.-Just-got-a-new-computer-this-week.
I-will-hook-it-up-soon.-Thanks-for-bearing-with
my-typing.

I-know;-I've-changed-this-project-a-couple-of-times;-but-I
have-decided-to-change-the-caliber.-I-was-going-with-a
30-378-Weatherby-Magnum;-however;-I've-decided-to-go-with
a-300-WSM-instead.-I-ve-decide-I-want-to-shoot-the-lighter
poly-tipped-bullets-like-the-110grn-V-Max-and-125grn-
Ballistic-Tip.-This-rifle-will-be-strictly-used-for-100-to
1000-yard-varmint-shooting.-I-am-trying-to-decide-on-what
twist-rate-to-use-for-this-project.-I-will-only-be-using-
the-110grn-V-Max-and-the-125grn-Ballistic-Tip;-so-I-am-thinking-a-1-14-twist-will-work-best-for-the-110-and-125grn
bullets.-I-would-like-to-here-what-you-guys-think-regarding-
twist-rate.-Will-a-1-10-twist-work-for-those-bullets-or-would-the-1-14-twist-work-best.-Once-again-here-the-specs;

1.-300-WSM;-.333-Tight-Neck
2.-Lawton-7500-Action;-1.450-Dia.;Fluted-Bolt;-Oversized-Bolt-Knob
3.-Krieger-30";-1-14-twist;-1.350-for-5"-tapered-to-1.250
at-the-muzzle;-it-will-be-throated-for-the-110grn-V-Max
and-125grn-Ballistic-tip.
4.-McMillan-Tooley-MBR;5lbs-lead-added-to-rear-80%Black-10%White-10%Grey;-with-removable-front-stud-for-BI-Pod-use.
5.-Jewel-2oz-trigger
6.-Vias-Muzzle-Brake
7.-Lawton-20MOA-Base
8.-Nightforce-30MM-Rings
9.-Nightforce-8x32x56mm-NXS-with-NP-R2-Reticle
10.-The-rifle-will-weight-around-25LBS

I-will-also-have-a-Lawton-30"-1-10-twist-barrel-too;
-So-if-I-can't-use-it;-I-will-be-selling-it.

I-have-read-that-the-300-WSM-with-a-.333-tight-neck-chamber
throated-for-the-110grn-V-Max-and-125grn-Ballsitic-tip
is-one-hell-of-a-flat-shooting-varmint-rig.-I-saw-the-
article-on-Richards-Custom-Rifles.-The-accuracy-and-veocity
he-is-getting-from-this-chamber-is-awesome.-He-is-shooting
the-125grn-Ballistic-Tip-at-4025-fps-and-it-shot-a-.162-6-
shot-group-at-100-yards;-that-is-awesome.-My-gunsmith-talked-to-me-about-this-chambering-too;-so-I-decided-
to-do-some-reserch-and-I-decided-this-is-the-way-I-want
to-go.-I-love-the-poly-tipped-bullets;-they-blow-the
varmints-up.-I-know-the-VLD-bullets-are-the-best-for
long-range-shooting;-but-they-don't-produce-the-expolsive
power-that-the-poly-tiped-bullets-produce.-Like-I-said
I-will-only-be-shooting-out-to-1000-yrads;-so-this-rig-
will-be-perect.-A-125grn-Ballistic-Tip-traveling-at-4025-fps
is-going-to-produce-some-awesome-RED-MIST-shows.

Also;-the-recoil-will-be-light-do-to-the-weight-of-the-rifle;-muzzle-brake;and-light-bullets-and-that-will-allow
me-to-watch-the-hits.-I-think-this-is-going-to-be-a-great
varmint-rig-with-lots-of-power;-great-brass;-and-tremendous
accuracy.-I-can't-wait-to-use-it.

Let-me-know-what-you-guys-think-about-the-twist-rate.

Wildcat

LOL I kind of miss him!
Cam

Last edited:
Re: 300 Varminter Completed

Whoever ended up with the wildcat rifle. What MVs did it achieve?

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.