300 Varminter Completed (Pictures)

GOODGROUPER,
The rifle is completed and you can see the pictures on Richard's web page. I will post pictures of groups as soon as I get to the range. I will also post information on how it performes in the field.

W.

BountyHunter, thanks for your support. I know you understand what I am doing with this rifle. I 've noticed there are only a few guys on here who really have a problem with my posts, so I really don't care what they say. I have received a ton of positive e-mails from others who are very interested in this build. I bet there will be some on here who have one built and never say anything about it. This type of build does not fit the normal profile type of rifle on this site. However, I have found other sites and others who love the build and understand what it's for.

The 300 Varminter is different, interesting, and designed for a purpose, low volume varmint hunting from 400 to 600 yards with the 110grn V-Max and 600 to 800 yards with the 125grn BT. The rifle was built for high splat factor and a very low trajectory out to 800 yards.

I wanted something different than the rest of the crowd. I have fast twist and slow twist barrels. However, some of these guys think all I shoot is poly tipped bullets, Not true. I use VLD bullets all the time, just not for varminting unless I shoot past 800 to 1000 yards.

I like to watch varmints explode. Lets be honest, VLD bullets will not provide the splat factor we varmint hunters want. I have used VLD bullets for varminting, and they do not provide an explosive show. Plus, VLD bullets ricochet and that's not good when your shooting on a ranch full of cows, bulls and horses. I need something that's going to come apart, that's why I am going to use the 110grn V-Max. VLD bullets are great, but their not varmint bullets.

Once again, Thanks BountyHunter.

W.

GOODGROUPER,
The rifle is completed and you can see the pictures on Richard's web page. I will post pictures of groups as soon as I get to the range. I will also post information on how it performes in the field.

W.

Correct me if I'm wrong, you still don't have the rifle. Third person pictures of a presumed rifle on an obscure website doesn't really count as ownership of anything does it? Pretty hard to kill p-dogs with pictures! Isn't this the same stage of the game you were at with Kirby too. Rifle done with your name on it but you actually never took ownership of it? It stayed at Kirby's for several seasons and then he had to do you a favor and sell it for you?
I guess the theory still holds true, sequels are even more dissapointing than the first go around.

Frankly, I don't care how well this gun WOULD shoot. I don't care how hot you WOULD run it. I don't have a side in any of this. All I know is that you seem to delight in the stupidity of making guns that you'll never actually own and then rubbing it in everyone's faces. Why is it stupid? For one, those of us that know you well enough know that your guns are fairy tales. Two, by posting about the fairy tale so many times, you have backed yourself into a corner were it is a lose, lose situation. If you don't post shooting information about the gun here, everyone will presume that it didn't live up to your expectations and your hiding in shame. Or, if you do post data of the rifle here, everyone will be so sick of the whole story that no one is going to care anyway. So, from my neutral standpoint, I don't see where you have gained a **** thing. It would have been better to just leave it alone.
You are just **** lucky Len and Lerch didn't see the rule of this board you broke by insulting Lerch the way you did. If they would have seen it, you would never had the chance to post here ever again anyways. Just a bit of advice, play the game smarter next time!

Lerch, thanks for calling me a troll. I bet if you were in front of me you would think twice about calling me that.

W.

I see that you edited the personal insult about Lerchs looks out of your post. Got cold feet did ya?

Hey GG, Lerch called me a troll first. You need to read the post and you will see that he started the name calling. That's why I responded back.

W.

JWP475, I felt that this statment would be better. I know most of you would never say anything insulting in front of me. Lerch is the one that insulted me, why don't you read the post.

W.

Last edited:
I've stayed out of this till now.. but I couldn't resist for some reason. Wildcat - Whether you "started it" or not, posting the way you do is doing nothing for your reputation, or your smith who made your stick. I am sure you are excited about your build, hell that's why we are all here; we love guns. But you seem to be poking a hornets nest and then complaining that you got stung. Anyhow, good luck with your new toy. I'd be interested to see how it performs once you actually shoot it and get some real data for us. No offense intended.

Kevin

I've stayed out of this till now.. but I couldn't resist for some reason. Wildcat - Whether you "started it" or not, posting the way you do is doing nothing for your reputation, or your smith who made your stick. I am sure you are excited about your build, hell that's why we are all here; we love guns. But you seem to be poking a hornets nest and then complaining that you got stung. Anyhow, good luck with your new toy. I'd be interested to see how it performs once you actually shoot it and get some real data for us. No offense intended.

Kevin

Exactly. Good one Kevin.

Wow, what a freakin insult!!! I have done nothing wrong to deserve these types of attacks. If someone has an opinion about my build, that's one thing. I can handle all of that. But now I am being accused of cheating people out of money. I have NEVER cheated people out of money. I would like to know who I cheated out of money, I have never done that, EVER!!!!!. Of course I paid Clay you idiot!!! You must be one of Joseph Gerbils reletives the way you are trying to run this propaganda compain against me. Your going to insult me, I am going to fire right back at you, you little bitch!! You have crossed the line and I am not going to set back and take this crap.

W.

Last edited:
JWP475, I felt that this statment would be better. I know most of you would never say anything insulting in front of me. Lerch is the one that insulted me, why don't you read the post.

W.

No Lerch said that 20 threads with the same info on a rifle that you do not have is trolling and he is correct.
In your post you wrote " Lerch I have seen pictures of you and I would rather be called a troll than to look like one"
Not the same thing at all and to try and argue that it is, is rather mind boggling. You made a personal insult toward Lerch and that is where the line was crossed.

Wow, what a freakin insult!!! I have done nothing wrong to deserve these types of attacks. If someone has an opinion about my build, that's one thing. I can handle all of that. But now I am being accused of cheating people out of money. I have NEVER cheated people out of money. I would like to know who I cheated out of money, I have never done that, EVER!!!!!. Of course I paid Clay you idiot!!! You must be one of Joseph Gerbils reletives the way you are trying to run this propaganda compain against me. Your going to insult me, I am going to fire right back at you, you little bitch!! You have crossed the line and I am not going to set back and take this crap.

W.

W, when I gave you the advice to play this game a little smarter, your above post was not exactly what I had in mind. Now, you have backed yourself into a corner AND you have also backed Len into a corner as well. Now he has to either remove you from the forum or ignore his own rules he set forth for the conduct of the members. All you had to do was not post for awhile but now you will be permanently gone instead.

Wildcat, it's been a unique experience knowing you. Take care.

Last edited:
JWP

I do not know Wildcat and could care less, I got ****ed when the the Kirby PR and Marketing team led by you and a couple others post "what a joke" thread denigrating a highly respected smith Richard Franklin who does not posting here, (he is too busy building some of the best guns anywhere to include here) then try to make it about safety later when it never was about that because you said it was not possible. That was the genisis of your post and nothing else!!! So too **** late to try and take the safety high road now.

Your original Joke posting was probably the absolutely lowest class, meanest, despicable posting I have ever seen. Some here have smartly backed off from it but you and a couple others keep on attacking Wildcat, the cartridge and in effect Richard Franklin. This thread alone proves my point with the outright lies, and lowclass attacks being made.

When it was shown that over 30 plus guns had been build and doing it safety you and the other LR PC police tried to fall back on the "safety ploy" and say someone "could do something dumb and get hurt". DUH, that is on any cartridge. Man you have got to be grossly naive and flat out stupid to think Paul on 6mmBR would post that article without checking it out and that 30 plus "unsafe" guns are out there ( as you basically claimed) with no ramifications.

There was not one posting anywhere about Richard stating that you could get 4000fps in the 700 action, only at tops 3800. Why don't we use that same standard now on the wildcats being posted here that "could" be overloaded as all of you claim the 300 Varminter could. Stupid is stupid no matter what the cartridge is and who makes the gun.

As for my comments on the Lapua were quoting Dan Liljas article on that very subject every time, so suppose you want to personnally attack him now too. I also posted that I recently talked with the Chandlers who claim that they did the testing for Rem with the Lapua and went up over 100k repeatedly before it showed any stress. Is that true, maybe, maybe not.

So what is the danger again with the Varminter at 3800 in a 700? Feel free to have one of the "marketing reps" run it thru Quickload as no 700 loads have ever been posted that I have seen so I am interested in seeing what unsafe load someone dreams up to run thru. Be sure and use the default settings on seating that might be artificially high as no one here knows what the real ones are. Lets just "assume" and attack like you did. While your at it maybe your could alter the bullet friction coefficiant to get a higher PSI.

Maybe you want to claim again you talked to a three "ballistics labs" and post with the clear inference that they somehow tested the Varminter and found it unsafe, when in reality you only called three bullet mftr companies, and they gave you the book answer for stock guns applicable only to the configuration they tested. Two of them did not even quote from their own book, but used someone elses. The one that emailed me and you advertised a year or so on thier website for "an experienced reloader" to do their ballistics testing for them. No engineer, just an experienced reloader. In reality that is all they really needed too, but that sure is not a "ballistics lab" as you posted. That alone shows the depth you will lower yourself to to denigrate Franklin.

What IF we adopted your standards and started attacking Kirby for his line of cartridges? We have wildcat cartridges being touted here every day off cases that are not SAAMI spec'd, never been pressure tested only eyeball pressure testing, numerous postings show loads are listed using old surplus powders that are extremely sensitive to temp variations (talk about unsafe practives using surplus powders and novice reloaders, that is the poster child) which are unsafe in different weather conditions as from summer to winter; postings show the assumption of 68,000 PSI operationg loads on cases that never tested and that some sources show as low as 62K, use limited access bullets that simple bullet substitution might put you over the danger threshhold. You guys would squeal like stuck pigs.

Are they safe? Absolutely, handled and loaded correctly. Are they dangerous? Absolutely again, if someone does something stupid. The WSM Varminter is no different! If wildcatting rely on your smiths knowledge and work the load up slowly. Stupid will hurt you no matter what cartridge it is. No one should take any souped up wildcat cartridge and start at the top as you claimed "could be done". If that was the standard, no wildcats for sure could be touted here.

Now Remington is selling the 700 in the 338 Lapua and Oh my god, someone could load that case to over spec in one of the wildcat cases here and put it on a Remington but that is OK? The WSM case is SAAMI spec the highest of any commercal case that has been tested at 65,000 plus that means another 25% on top of that which puts its tested limit at 83,000. A few cases are equal, maybe others are higher and maybe not, yet the PC police do not see a problem with untested wildcat cartridges being touted at 68000 (normal operating pressure).

Why don't you hold those cartridges to the same standard? We are all supposed to just accept them as blind gospel while you and 3-4 other PC police denigrate others. Hmm, maybe real safety "for all" cartridges is not your real intent it could be said.

This never was about safety and your first thread on it shows it. It was about denigrating a respected smith that just is not your priest and shows the absolute despicable manner that you and others adopted doing it.

If you do not like Wildcats post, sit back and lay off the keyboard and he will quit posting. He is only posting because you and others are not smart enough to see he is pulling your chain and you stupidly jump in each time ridiculing and denigrating him.

Bottom line this has been nothing other than blatant hypocricy, bullying, low class of the PC police (same 3-5 individuals) and I am going to call you on it every time. If you do not like it, too **** bad, get used to it every time you jump out there and pull that lowlife crap. Now if you want to act and treat others with a degree of respect that is fine with me, I prefer it that way. However, base on what I am seeing, attack of the lowlifes will continue.

BH

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.