"300 WSM Varminter" info

wildcat

I am making this post because I said I would update on my personal build or any other information regarding the 300 WSM Varminter designed by Richard Franklin.

For those who are new, the 300 WSM Varminter was created by Richard Franklin. The 300 Varminter was designed as a special long range high velocity varmint rifle to shoot the poly tipped bullets, 125grn Ballistic Tip and 110grn V-Max, at speeds of over 4000fps. The 300 WSM Varminter will push the 125grn Ballistic tip at 4065fps and the 110grn V-Max at 4140fps.

However, in order to get this type of performance out of the 300 WSM the rifle has to be built around a Tight neck .337 Match chamber for Norma brass, custom Action Nesika or Bat, 1-15 twist barrel, and Norma 300 WSM Brass.

It's VERY IMPORTANT to understand that a factory 300 WSM will come NO where near the velocities mentioned above. The "300 WSM Varminter" is a special rifle and is built specifically to shoot the 125 and 110grn .30cal poly tipped bullets.

My 300 WSM Varminter is still being built, however, I have received a ton of information from those who currently own the 300 WSM Varminter. Richard has built around 25 300 WSM Varminters during 2007. I have spoken with 10 individuals who own the 300 WSM Varminter, and they have given me some excellent information regarding pressure, velocity, accuracy, and brass performance.

The individuals that provided me with info have all had their rifles build by Richard Franklin, designed around either a Nesika or Bat action and all of them are using the same barrel which is the 30" Bartlien, 1-15 twist barrel.

Richard recommends the 300 Varminter be built with the Bartlien 1-15 twist barrel. They are all using the same powder, which is VV-N550. They are using between 73 to 75grns of N550 powder. The majority of the owners indicated the best accuarcy velocity combo was between 73.8grns to 74.2grns.

1. Regarding pressure; All the information I received indicated the 300 WSM Varminter is not showing any signs of dangerous pressure levels. Of course there is pressure just like with any other high performance cartridge, however, the cartridge is performing well and very safe. The 300 WSM Varminter is NOT showing any signs of heavy bolt lift, ect with the custom action.

None of the individuals I spoke with used a factory trued action, they all had a custom Nesika or BAT action. So I didn't get any info from those who had the 300 WSM Varminter built around a trued factory action. Richard indicates the 300 WSM Varmint will reach velocities around 3800fps with the 125grn BT and 110grn V-Max if using a factory action.

2. Regarding Velocity; All 10 of the individual who own the 300 WSM Varminter are getting over 4000+fps with the 125grn Ballistic and 110grn V-Max. The highest velocity recorded with the 125grn BT was 4065fps. All of the owners have indicated the best accuracy with the 125grn BT is when it is pushed at around 4015fps to 4025fps. The highest velociy recorded with the 110grn V-max was 4140fps. All of the owners indicated the V-Max was most accurate at around 4070 to 4080fps.

3. Regarding accuracy; All of the owners inicated that the 300 WSM Varminter is very accurate. All owners informed me they are getting accuarcy in the high .1's to low .3's at 100 yards. All the owners indicated the accuracy, at the longer ranges, is absolutly incredible with both bullets. All owners agreed the 125grn BT is performing extreamly well at short and long ranges.

All owners have shot the 125grn bullet at 800 to 1000 yards. They all reported excellent accuracy out to 1000 yards. They agreed the 125gn BT performed very well in windy conditions. Some of the owners indicated they use the 125grn BT for ranges only out to 850 yards and then switch to a higher BC set up for shots past 1000 yards. They all agreed this cartridge and bullet combo is at it's best out to 800 yards, but they all said they have had much success with many 1 shot kills out to 1000 yards. All of them agreed they would switch the a Higher BC bullet for shots past 1000 yards, so would I.

Regardng brass performance; All owners have had excellent performance with the NORMA 300 WSM Brass. So far they have had no major primer pocket problems, case stretching, ect. Some of the owners have more than 7 firings out of the Norma brass. Two of the owners indicated they had some minor problems with primer pockets loosening up, however, they also said it was after the 5 firing on the brass. The other owners said they have had no problems at all.

From what I have heard so far, it sounds like the 300 WSM Varminter is performing well for it's intended purpose which is varmint hunting out to 1000 yards. It sounds like the 300 WSM Varminter performs best at the 800 to 850 yard mark. All owners said it is an awesome flat shooting varmint set up, and it is deadly deadly accurate.

They all said it is absolutely devastating on larger varmints such as Ground Hogs and Coyotes. One of the guys said he took it on a PDog hunt this last summer, he said it was an awesome sight when he hit PDogs at the longer ranges. He also said it is his favorite varmint rig. The same individual is coming out my way, and we are going to take his 300 WSM Varminter to an area where the squirrels are out by the tons. I am looking forward to seeing how it performes in person. I will post the info, about that shoot, if the individual is able to come out.

As soon as I receive my 300 WSM Varminter, I will post the info. I will be truthful about it's performance. I should be receiving the rifle in March or April, and I will post pictures of rifle, target proof, and performance. If anyone is interested about the 300 WSM Varminter, you can see the article at 6mmbr.com at accurateshooter under "Franklin's 4000 FPS .30-Cal Varminter is a hit with Hunters". Anyhow, I am sure I will receive some comments about the post, but I did say I would post info about this build and any info I received.

Wildcat

Wildcat,

I have a couple of questions;

1. Did all the guys you spoke with use the VV-N550?

2. Did they discuss barrel life?

I am very interested in hearing how your new 300 Varminter shoots. I am a High BC bullet guy. However, I ran the numbers on the 125grn Ballistic Tip traveling at 4000fps, I must say it was pretty impressive out to 1000 yards regarding elevation adjusment. I think for it's intended purpose, the 300 Varminter looks pretty cool for varminting.

What are you going to shoot for the shots past 1000 yards?

P44

P44, thanks for the interested. Regarding your first question

"Did all the guys you spoke with use VV N-550"

Yes, they are all using VV-N550. Richard recommends VV-N550 for the 300 Varminter. It has been the most consistant powder out of the 1-15 twist Bartlien barrel. It is also one of the reasons the 300 Varminter pushes the 125grn BT at 4000+fps. All the guys informed me they are getting excellent accuracy with this powder and bullet combination.

Regarding your second question;

"Did they discuss barrel life"

Yes, I should have mentioned that too. For some reason the 300 Varminter is showing excellent barrel life so far. One of the individuals already has over 1000 rounds through his rig and his accuracy is still excellent. I have heard the 300 WSM is getting excellent barrel life within the benchrest crowd.

Regarding what I am going to use for shots past 1000 yard. I am currently gathering parts for a 30-338 Lapua Improved with a 40 degree shoulder. I am going to design that rifle around the 208grn A-Max.

I will mainly use the 300 Varminter for shots from 100 to 1000 yards with the bulk of the varminting being done from 400 to 800 yards.

Yes, the 125grn bullet at 4000+fps is pretty impressive out to 1000 yards. Someone posted the 125grn BT bullet, shot at 4000fps, is flatter out to 1000 yards than the 200grn Accubond shot out of 300 RUM at a velocity of 3200fps. The 200grn Accubond had a 2MOA windage advantage over the 125grn BT at a 1000 yards, the 125grn BT does pretty well out to 1000 yards.

Many of the fellows, I spoke with, that shoot the 300 Varminter, said the 125grn BT performed very well in the wind out to around 850 yards. After the 850 yard mark, it became harder to make the hits in the higher wind. However, if the conditions were nice to average, they all said the 300 Varminter is an impressive and deadly varmint set up.

Once again, thanks for the interest. As soon as I get my rig, I will post the results.

Wildcat

Patriot44,

Drop numbers look pretty good but look at what really matters, wind drift, the 125 sucks compared to pretty much any other higher BC bullet if you run the numbers.

If your hunting varmints where there is never any wind, it would work fine, come out here in the west, and you have pretty much wasted your time if you want to reach past 600 yards varminting as your locked into this ballistically anemic combination.

Again, bullet drop is easy to figure, its consistant, EVERYWHERE, its easy to predict EVERYWHERE, wind drift on the other had is what makes you miss small targets at long ranges in unknown shooting conditions EVERYTIME.

Again, if you have never felt the wind blow, go for it, it will work fine, if you live out west or anywhere the wind blows, DO NOT get locked into a 1-15 twist barrel, you will be sorry.

As far as Wildcat goes, true to your word again. Now that you have done what we all knew you would, look forward to hearing how your rifle actually shoots when you get it instead of reading 3rd party stories. Keep us posted and please offer all numbers, lots of us are interested.

Kirby Allen(50)

Patriot44,

Again, bullet drop is easy to figure, its consistant, EVERYWHERE, its easy to predict EVERYWHERE, wind drift on the other had is what makes you miss small targets at long ranges in unknown shooting conditions EVERYTIME.

Again, if you have never felt the wind blow, go for it, it will work fine, if you live out west or anywhere the wind blows, DO NOT get locked into a 1-15 twist barrel, you will be sorry.

Kirby Allen(50)

I have to agree with Kirby. Although I have never shot out west I can tell you the winds in the East, Bodines 1000 yard range in PA has some really tough wind conditions (ask anyone who shot there). I learned that the hard way. I would rather push a heavy bullet a little slower than a light bullet fast any day. JMO, good luck with your project!

Frank D

Fifty, I agree with you regarding the windage issue with the 125grn BT. I love the High BC bullets too, however, I have had problems with the VLD type bullets when using them for varminting.

I have had too many hits on varmints and have watched too many of them crawl back into their holes because the bullet passed right through them. When I am shooting varmints, from 100 to 1000 yards, I use the Ballistic Tip, V-Max and A-Max bullets. The A-Max seems to be the best all around bullet for high BC and killing power. I use the 87grn V-Max out of my 6mmAI for varminting out to 1000 yards. I have had excellent results, even in the wind.

I will also agree the wind out my way is nothing like the wind you guys get out your way. So when I say windy conditions, for me that would mean a windy day would be a 8 to 10mph wind.

When I shoot past a 1000 yards, I go to the VLD bullets right away. I have always been able to get away with using the Ballistic Tip and V-Max bullets out to 1000 yards. But once I past the 1000 yard mark, I need to go to the VLD bullets in order to be successful.

I have read all of Wildcats post's and he has stated this rifle will only be used out to 1000 yards. I think he also stated he shoots in an area that is not very windy, so this set up will probably work pretty well for him. I would have went with something different. I would have designed the 300 WSM around the 168grn A-Max for varminting, but others have their reasons for designing their rigs. I think Wildcat also mentioned he is having a 30/338 Lapua Improved built for varmintig past 1000 yards, so it sounds like he will be set up for all conditions.

I must admit, I think the 300 Varminter sounds like an awesome varmint rig for it's intended purpose. Anyhow, I hope you and wildcat can put your differences aside and STOP arguing over stupid stuff. I read the "What a Joke" post, and I think all parties, IMO, got a little out of control.

P44

Demarpaint, I have said on many occations, if the wind gets bad, I will switch to the higher BC set up. However, I shoot in an area were the wind never gets bad, so the 125grn BT at 4000+fps will perform very well.

I wanted a set up that would be fast, accurate, and deadly. The 300 Varminter is perfect for my needs and conditions in my area. I am having a 30/338 Lapua improved built for shots past 1000 yards.

Wildcat

Kirby,

I wanted to post the third party info, because I thought it was important to give that info. The information provided by these individuals was important to show that this set up is sucessful for its intended purpose.

I will post the results on my rig as soon as I receive it and start shooting. I am pretty confident from all the information I have received from owners of the 300 Varminter and Richard Franklin, this set up will be an excellent varmint set up for its intended purpose.

Anyhow, once again, I apologize for the arguing in the past.

I look forward to hearing how your 30-408Cheytec works out. That sounds like it will be one fast shooting cartridge. I am thinking that baby will shoot the 208grn A-Max close to 3700 to 3800fps. Man, talk about a devasting combo for long range varminting, that will be an awesome set up if everything works.

Wildcat

Demarpaint, I have said on many occations, if the wind gets bad, I will switch to the higher BC set up.

Wildcat

How can you with a 15 twist barrel? I never like the idea of building a gun for one bullet maybe 2.

1doug

Wildcat,

It looks like the full length version of the 300 Allen Magnum has to much capacity for the bullets avaialble. To make this work even remotely well, I need a 290 to 300 gr 30 cal bullet. Richard Graves has gotten me 30 cal bullets but the jackets will not handle the strain this chambering would produce on the bullets.

The 208 will be far to light to make this round work efficently.

I am not looking at a shortened version, case length would be around 2.7" in length. Case capacity would be around 15 grains more then the 30-378 Wby but with the 250 to 265 gr class 30 cal bullets it should work much more efficently then the full length version. Still, need the right jackets to make this work well enough to market to the public. Right now no commerical bullets will work.

Kirby Allen(50)

Fifty,

I would guess you speak with Richard frequently so you prolly know this...he told me he was having trouble with J4 jackets with regard to supply. He said he was switching to Sierra jackets. I don't know if he has made the switch yet but does this change the situation for you in a positive way?

Festus

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.