300 RUM or 7mm with 180 bergers at 3000 fps

Better off using a 300 RUM or 7mm 180 bergers at 3000 fps

• 300 RUM 210/230 bergers

Votes: 186 52.5%
  • 7mm 180 bergers at 3000 fps

Votes: 168 47.5%

• Total voters
I prefer the 7mm Ultra Mag and yes because I own one. Factory barrels have come a long way from 15 years ago I guess because these big magnums are quite accurate. I've had many 0.6" groups at 100 yards and havn't even tried bergers or scirocco's yet... I'm sure the STW comes close to 7rum performance but I also like not dealing with a belted case..

for what it's worth...

Wow, I would think that shooting a bunch of sand paper bullets down a barrel would ruin it faster. I bet it would be smooth... Like a shotgun.:D
I'm not trying to kill the messenger, I would just have a hard time believing the person that wrote that. I also don't have a whole lot of faith in a product the inventor (or whatever he is) doesn't use, even if he's the rifleman of the Melinium . I doubt he uses these bullets in his ultra super duty match grade custom barrels. Although I have been wrong from time to time.
I would NEVER run them through anything that didn't look like a rusted out sewer pipe.

One major problem with any sort of projectile powered lapping is that most of the lapping is done at the action end of the bore and almost none at the end.

That creates excessive throat erosion very quickly and will wear out a barrel extremely fast.

No way I'd run them through any kind of a custom rig.

I would NEVER run them through anything that didn't look like a rusted out sewer pipe.

One major problem with any sort of projectile powered lapping is that most of the lapping is done at the action end of the bore and almost none at the end.

That creates excessive throat erosion very quickly and will wear out a barrel extremely fast.

No way I'd run them through any kind of a custom rig.

It would seem foolish to me to use them on a barrel that's already a shooter.

But, I can see someone gambling $50 to get a little better cleanup or life out of an already sub-standard barrel.

The alternative would be to save that $50 and apply it towards your next barrel.

Don't knock the Final Finish product until you have tried it. It works!! I have used it on factory barrels and custom barrels with no ill effects. Also, it does do the whole barrel. You can feel it while cleaning.

Magnums shoot 2-3 TMS every 200 rounds before cleaning. Standard chamberings 2-3 every 400-500 rounds. My 7MM STW ( factory barrel ) was a real fouler ( 12-15 rounds ) until I used FF. Now I can easily shoot 30 rounds with no change in accuracy and the cleaning is much easier. I had shot probably 800 rounds ( guessing - to lazy to go look ) through the barrel when I first used it. Now I have 1200+ rounds and it is still going strong. I am not sure if it moved the throat at all since I jump both the Berger and LRX I shoot through it.

You're pretty wrong Bravo 4. I find your comments idiotic. How many trophy's do you have! Are you training military shooters a lot. Grow up.

1.You're pretty wrong Bravo 4. Hey, it happens and I can admit that... nobody's perfect. But now you have me convinced.
2.I find your comments idiotic. That happens as well. I am pretty much a smart alec. I for the most part was kidding around, I thought that's what these were for-:D:D:D
3.How many trophy's do you have! What the hell does this have to do with anything?
4.Are you training military shooters a lot. Again, what the hell does this have to do with anything? But I'll bite-Actually I do train shooters. Besides the Sniper Section I run, I happen to train several hundred a year... The Army hasn't adopted sand paper bullets yet, so we don't train with them. You will have to forgive my ignorance. I mean good grief, it looks like God is the only one who forgives ignorance these days...first the law and now you!
5.Grow up. NNNNO! OK ya got me on another one. After many years of being Airborne, Air Assault and a grunt...it's taking a toll on me, maybe I should grow up. Maybe after this years trip to Afghanistan...my fourth combat tour.
[/QUOTE]

Boy this thread went from asking about a 7mm or .30 cal to sand paper bullets are the shiz-it to me being an idiot... I didn't know I was posting on Sniper's Hide! I appologize to everybody for crapping on this post, especially the OP(nothing against you, i did say I wasn't trying to kill the messenger).

Estel,
Send me a PM if you wanna speak more on the subject.

I do apologize and I have to admit I'm quite impressed with your service and probably your skills too. It's hard for me to see negative comments about David Tubb's I thought you were referring to his 6xc cartridge which is just another small contribution to the shooting sports he's made. He actually makes fairly inexpensive products that help improve shooting and firearms and it's tough to dispute his fundamental knowledge of rifle shooting fundamentalsand form and his website is pretty candid to anyone that views it. I don't see him as a smart alec arrogant braggard but someone that offers knowledge and seems pretty dedicated to the rifle and safe use of it.

Again, I apologize, I too was a little cranky last night.

Ed

I have a 7mm STW and it fits the distance and power I need which is under 1000 yards and I have a 338 Lapua which goes out much further. I can't figure out why someone wouldn't build a 338 Lapua Improved which is clearly more powerful than a 338 edge or RUM. Lapua improved brass if taken care of can be fired in the upwards of 25 times. It seems like a no brainer. Help me out!?

I keep going back and forth on this. I talked to my gunsmith again and he agreed that past 800 yards on elk the 300 would be better, he uses a 338 edge for distance elk. We discussed further and he likes a 243 variant and his edge, so different guns for different purposes. I explained that I will not have the ability ($$$) to have multiple semi custom guns and he said for a one gun longrange hunter the 300 RUM and the 210vlds are about as good as it gets.
I think however I'm sticking with the 7 rem mag for now and here is why... Cost! I discovered that I can use my rem mag action to rechamber but there will be additional cost in addition to the blueprinting, feed ramps and things like that. Also in order to run them ( the RUM) I will need to get a wyatts Box magazine or seekins dbm and this adds another 250. In addition to that I will have to install a muzzle break (would go with a DE) adding another 180$. On top of that I would need new dies 209$ for the redding competition die set which I already have for the 7 rem mag. Then there's the cost of powder and bullets, not a big difference but a factor. The farthest I have shot to date is 412 yards on a menacing rock, so I have lots of shooting to do before I go out past 800 on game I believe. So this is already building on a budget and the extra 500$ , 680 if you count the muzzlebreak, just doesn't seem feasible right now. My plan is to shoot often and save up and maybe get deals on the components I need by keeping my eyes open. Hopefully in a couple or few years I will burn the barrel up and have the funds and skills to justify the 300 ultra. In case you are wondering why not the 7 stw cost of dies and the smith said I'll use up that barrel much faster than a 7 RM. So I'll use this rem mag as a progressive step both cost wise (blueprinting action and getting a true 1/2 MOA gun) and skill wise (less recoil and arguably a better round to "learn" with). But then tomorrows another day and I love changing my mind, just ask my girlfriend...... ohhh wait I broke up with her ;)

And by the way brovo4 thanks for your service and your response was hilarious ;) I refuse to grow up as well, also don't want to insult someone who just successfully harvested an animal at 1400 yards ;) yikes that is impressive

And to all others I'm not argueing over which is better for long range elk the 7 RM or the 300 RUM. I agree the 300 RUM is the better choice for this specific purpose. Im just not sure given the combination of factors (money, shooter ability, current hunting scenario's) it's the right one. I have a feeling that it will be the next step for me however :)

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.