7MM at 2770 fps with 168 grain berger?

That's a short barrel for a 7mag. You are losing (and I could be wrong!!)Probley 150to200fps with that short of a barrel in a magnum caliber! You are not getting the most from your powder burn either. Just my two cents,but you Probley are already having muzzle flash issues. (bet that's a big ball of fire). If where you are at now with your load an it's accurat, I would leave it alone. I think anything more than what you have now is gonna start sending fliers.(group gonna open up)Later in time get it rebarreled with more tube to work with. Then air it out! Just my two cents!!

DT

The elk I killed in 2010 was with the same speed with the same bullet. At 690yds he jumped up the hill twice and then rolled over backwards. The bullet broke the onside shoulder and stopped against the other, and weighed 62gr.

I dont own a 7mm Rem so I have no first hand experience with the caliber but I would suggest trying to develope a load with a faster powder, starting at scratch. Im betting some 4350 or one of the alliant powders will help you push that bullet a little faster in that short tube.

I use a load in my .280 rem pushing a 140 VLD at 2850fps... which is really slow (24" tube). Catch is the two times I chrony'd it I had and ES of 5fps, so.... Ill take the slow load. Ive never shot a smokin' hot group with it, but its always decent, and the low ES is re-assuring.

actually its only 22" barrel...its a colt light rifle...how velocity am i loosing with a 22" barrel vs a 26" barrel?
Like I said, if you're happy with what you have stick with it.

However, somewhere between 60-63gr of H4350 should be able to give you 2850-3000fps. Might want to load up a few and see.

Just shoot it like the others are saying. I've seen a bunch of 7rems, and none are very able to deliver much higher speeds than a 280 class will. I'm getting 3100 fps with a 140 and 2800-2900 with the 160 + bullets with my 7rem. Heck, my stw will do over 3100 fps with the 171 barnes I'm shooting, but the accuracy is at 2950fps, so that's where she shoots.

Last edited:
Like I said earlier! If it works,shoot it! Another load I have worked up(but I have it shooting in a26in barrel) 70grns,Retumbo,180 Berger=3000fps! No pressure issues, very accurate in my rifle(mod 700pss rem) an its a regular 7mag not a stw. It will also push a 168 Berger over 3100fps, but 3050 is its sweet spot! Both of my 7mm 24&26 in barrels like the 168 over 3000. Just my input.

DT

I push a 168 amax in a 308win out to 1000 with a 26 in barrel. best guess is around 2750fps ( load is pretty warm but shoots great/ 1/2 moa). just guessing that a 168 out of a 7mm would do just fine out to 800. just my .02. good luck

Like I said earlier! If it works,shoot it! Another load I have worked up(but I have it shooting in a26in barrel) 70grns,Retumbo,180 Berger=3000fps! No pressure issues, very accurate in my rifle(mod 700pss rem) an its a regular 7mag not a stw. It will also push a 168 Berger over 3100fps, but 3050 is its sweet spot! Both of my 7mm 24&26 in barrels like the 168 over 3000. Just my input.

DT
What's with the Bergers? I'd blow up my 26" 7mm rem mag trying to hit 3K with a 175 hornady. I've even gone to wc872 and it's only 2850fps with a rather stiff load. 70 is stiffer than hodgdon (68)with a 175, where did the retumbo data come from? Berger??
The 7mm mag is all over the map on data with heavier bullets.
I looked at their data for a 175 in the old #26 manual(before Retumbo) and they show 72gr h1000 topped out, but the new yearly manual tops out at 64.5gr h1000 (LESS THAN THE OLD START CHARGE). This happens with other powders/manuals too. Data like that and I simply stay away. I have other rifles to push heavier lead with.

What's with the Bergers? I'd blow up my 26" 7mm rem mag trying to hit 3K with a 175 hornady. I've even gone to wc872 and it's only 2850fps with a rather stiff load. 70 is stiffer than hodgdon (68)with a 175, where did the retumbo data come from? Berger??
The 7mm mag is all over the map on data with heavier bullets.
I looked at their data for a 175 in the old #26 manual(before Retumbo) and they show 72gr h1000 topped out, but the new yearly manual tops out at 64.5gr h1000 (LESS THAN THE OLD START CHARGE). This happens with other powders/manuals too. Data like that and I simply stay away. I have other rifles to push heavier lead with.
Liability lawyers would be your answer.

Pretty much all loading manuals are going to show their max loads about 10% less than the actual maximimum safe charge to avoid getting their asses sued off when someone blows up a rifle.

Even the hornady 8th addition manual shows up to 3k, with the 162's and 2900 with 175's with a 24" barrel.

Liability lawyers would be your answer.

Pretty much all loading manuals are going to show their max loads about 10% less than the actual maximimum safe charge to avoid getting their asses sued off when someone blows up a rifle.
I'm not seeing that with my 300 win and 338 win, and they both have old data too. Heck, with the 300 win, hodgdon went UP on some charges, but stayed similar(within a grain or so) on others. I've had my hand in loading 6 different 7rem rifles, and they all wanted something different. Most were **** slow with loads that were already rather stiff.

Thanks! WildRose!! I coundnt have said it better. As for load data, I can only share what I have found out in the rifles I have. Can't make anybody shoot it,I'm just gun)shareing it. I know an(other people know)that no two rifles are the same. That's why we reload,shoot an hunt! I'm not saying that my load is better than some, just sharing info to the tread! If anyone is comfortable with the load he or she is using, then shoot it! If not go back to the table an reserch an work up another load. Again, not saying mine is better, just sharing info!

DT

Thanks! WildRose!! I coundnt have said it better. As for load data, I can only share what I have found out in the rifles I have. Can't make anybody shoot it,I'm just gun)shareing it. I know an(other people know)that no two rifles are the same. That's why we reload,shoot an hunt! I'm not saying that my load is better than some, just sharing info to the tread! If anyone is comfortable with the load he or she is using, then shoot it! If not go back to the table an reserch an work up another load. Again, not saying mine is better, just sharing info!

DT
Gotcha on the info, and the rem has been wussified a bit on the psi conversion. 61000 psi is only 1K north of the '06, and everyone else is at 64000-65000 psi. I'm always very leery of going over any of the newer data though, as the psi measurements can see a lots of stuff that the crusher couldn't. I had a strain guage on my last 7stw, and most of the book stuff was right on to slightly hot.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.