6.5 build for 140 Bergers at 2900-3000?

Im building new rifle and wanting to shoot 6.5 140 VLDs just under 3000fps. My question is, what will give me the most barrel life at 2900 to just under 3k. I have been looking into the SAUM, WSM, PRC. I am sure there are others out there, I am wanting to stay with a short action. I an no expert but I think the answer has to do with pressure differences.
Hi just wondering if you or anyone else has looked into a 6.5 Creedmoor AI not sure if it's even been done yet just trying to find out???

Of those I would take PRC. WSM is a "barrel burner" compared to the others, and PRC will comfortable run those speeds with a case design that theoretically feeds a little easier than the saum.

It was made for pretty much exactly what you're wanting. 140 @ 2950-3000. You don't have to ring it out to get there, it will do it with factory offerings. (Granted you need to go to copper creek for the 140 Berger). Further it's easy to get it there with reloads and you don't have to find reloder 26 to do it, you can do it with MRP, 4831sc, 25, H1000 etc
Hi just wondering if anyone has taken the 6.5 Creedmoor and turned it into an AI/improved? What kind of gain might we find? Just wondering if this has been brought up
Thanks

Not much to improve, not much body taper and a 30 degree shoulder already
Thanks for the info wish the 260 Rem was marketed better what I'm looking for I guess is the 260AI or the 6.5 Prc but I don't have a SA with mag bolt face and not sure about having the bolt face opened up or ordering a new bolt
Thanks again

In an 8T, Brux, 6.5 creed, 26" barrel, R#26, Hornady brass, fed 215, 140g Berger VLD Hunting ran 2900, with the bug hole load at 2850. Compressed load, we used a long drop tube Forster powder funnel.

this would give you a LOT of extra barrel life.

In an 8T, Brux, 6.5 creed, 26" barrel, R#26, Hornady brass, fed 215, 140g Berger VLD Hunting ran 2900, with the bug hole load at 2850. Compressed load, we used a long drop tube Forster powder funnel.

this would give you a LOT of extra barrel life.
Thanks for the info

We found that Superperformance powder shoots the 140's very well at 2900 in Hornady brass. I our two custom rifles with 26" barrels, the hotter we went, the better it shot, ending up in the 4's with five shot groups. Pass the 140g Berger vld hunting Orange box our way! 139g Scenar L will work very well if your throat is worn or getting long.

We found that Superperformance powder shoots the 140's very well at 2900 in Hornady brass. I our two custom rifles with 26" barrels, the hotter we went, the better it shot, ending up in the 4's with five shot groups. Pass the 140g Berger vld hunting Orange box our way! 139g Scenar L will work very well if your throat is worn or getting long.
Thinks for the info

If you reload, the best barrel life that will consistently get you to that velocity is a .260 Ackley Improved. Some will argue 6.5 creed, but its simply not practical to expect a 140 at 2900-3000 with a 6.5 creed, simply put, not every 6.5 creed can do that. A 6.5x284, 6.5 prc, 6.5 WSM and 6.5 saum will get you 2950-3100, maybe a touch more, but a couple of those would really need to be in a long action, and your using mid 50's to 65ish grains of powder, where as with a .260 AI your doing it with 45-50 grains of powder depending on powder choice.

In my Remington 700 semi custom .260 AI I was running the 140 VLD's at 3070 fps with 49.1 grains of Reloder 26, and have also ran HBN coated 147 ELD-M's at 3050 fps with 50.3 grains of Reloder 26, also had a stupid accurate load of 48.7 grains of H4831sc under the 140 VLD at 2930 fps, would cloverleaf at 200 yards. I have a 29" barrel, with a 26" expect to loose about 50-70 fps from that.
41.5 grains H4350....just my 2 cents worth.

Im building new rifle and wanting to shoot 6.5 140 VLDs just under 3000fps. My question is, what will give me the most barrel life at 2900 to just under 3k. I have been looking into the SAUM, WSM, PRC. I am sure there are others out there, I am wanting to stay with a short action. I an no expert but I think the answer has to do with pressure differences.
Let there be no doubt that the faster the bullet travels, the shorter the barrel life. Their are certainly other factors, but increased speed reduces barrel life. Over bore is another factor, getting your barrel hot is not good. I never shoot one of my rifles over 5 times without letting it cool. Having said that, 3,000fps will give you or should long term barrel life. Shoot your Bullets at the speeds your rifle tells you every time. Each gun is different, twist, barrel length. All effects your speed, accuracy, and barrel life.

Hope this helps,

Harvey Durham
731-727-9242

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.