7MM at 2770 fps with 168 grain berger?

Is this fast enough to shoot at like 800 yards? Thanks for any input.

At 5000' of Altitude, bullet would be
supersonic up to 1650 yards.

At 800yd you should have plenty energy for anything from mice to Elk. Shot
placement would be critical on elk.

At 800 yd the bullet would have approximately:

1860.5 fps of velocity left.
1291 foot/pound of energy.
19.0 MOA adjustment = 159.2 inches, from a 100yd zero.
Time of flight 1.057 seconds

That's good info on the energy an flight time. I failed to mention that the info for the loads I posted didn't come overnight. Many hrs in the books,calulater,shooting,etc.First an foremost is safety. I will agree the 7mm mag can be very finicky. But that's why we do what we do.(Reload,etc). But I can say this, I would never offer any load info if I didn't deem it safe. Again, if you have a load that you like an it performs well in your rifle, shoot it.

Gotcha on that Dick. I might just try some h1000 or retumbo in my 7mag. I used it many moons ago in a long gone 300 win with 190's. It might just wake up this rifle; I've only been getting 3050 fps with 140's, and want to save my rl22 for other uses. I may just go to rl25 though as I already use it.
I just don't like the issues I've had with 7828 and 140's, so I went to h4350 and i4064 with those bullets. 7828 would run 3200 fps+ with 1/2moa in hot weather, but it crapped out and went to 2"groups in cool weather. When I went to the other powders, accuracy went up a lot, but speed fell some.

For what's its worth, many years ago before H1000&Retumbo, I worked up a load for a Remington Sendero I owned, 64grn IMR 4350,CCI250mag primer,WW brass,160 serria. Now I know this tread is about Berger bullets in a 7mag, but I've tried this same recipe using a Berger. Both of my rifles shoot that load pretty good.1/2 to3/4 groups at 100yrds. They (the rifles ) just like a Berger better!

I have found that a lot of 7mags love H-1000 an Retumbo. Some I have seen like H4831SC. You just got to reserch an experiment, but start low an work up an most of all be safe an very patient. Hope this helps.

DT

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.