168 berger VLD (7mm)

Silvertip: the idea behing the 168 and heavier bullets is to take advantadge of the high BC.- the Berger has a much higher one than the 139 sst (even the 154v and the 162). FOr LR you need to look not so much at the initial velocity but at a decent vel. in a high BC bullet.

Not VLD but I've had very good luck with the Hornady 162gr A-Max when fired @ 3,100 ft/sec from my 7STW. Took a Wyoming pronghorn @ 465yds. He took a couple of steps and just piled up. I believe the BC is .625. I've also pounded a few PA groundhogs at extended range.

Fast - flat and expands at any range. They're also easy to find and reasonably priced.

I didnt realize the BC was so high on the VLD. I bet they have good klnock down power too then.

I could not agree more with Frank21, the 160gr up bullets are superior for long range shooting because of the B.C. advantage. The 139gr SST you speak of has a B.C. of .468 the Berger 168gr VLD has a B.C. of .643 and the Berger 180gr VLD is .684 a vast advantage. the 139sst's are fast and flat at close to medium range but pale in comparison at long range.
UB
p.s. "calibre is normally a frenchie or Euro term, in America it is caliber, but then again they just changed the name of the mall down the street to the "Town Centre". guess it sounded more elegant than town center.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.