300 RUM or 7mm with 180 bergers at 3000 fps

Better off using a 300 RUM or 7mm 180 bergers at 3000 fps

• 300 RUM 210/230 bergers

Votes: 186 52.5%
  • 7mm 180 bergers at 3000 fps

Votes: 168 47.5%

• Total voters
I wouldn't hesitate at all with the 180's from the 300 Rum or 150's from the 7mm STW even on elk.

An Elk is no where near to being as densely bodied as a big hog and they don't have the cartilage sheild in the shoulder/chest that a big boar does.

I've killed literally dozens of boars over 500lbs with 140gr Nosler Ballistic tips and Hornady interlock and interbond with both the 7mag and 7STW.

The one big hog I've shot so far with the 300 Rum and the 180gr Scirocco was a straight through and through through both shoulders and it had a nice exit not much bigger than a quarter. He was somewhere between 700-800lbs.

I sure would love to see some pics of a these MONSTER HOGS you have been shooting. I have shot a ton of hog and never find any that big got any pics.

The 7MMstw is a great choice. A bit easier to handle than the 300RUM. That might be a reason in and of itself. If you want to go bigger the action can be used to go 300 or 338 edge later. The later would be a better upgrade as the 338 bullets are king pretty much. By the way, a guy set the European benchrest record fairly recently with I believe a 1 1/4 in group using a 300WSM/7MM. The bullet weight was around 177 I think. Good Luck any way you go. They are all powerful and accurate once you play with them.

If you're on a budget and looking for used take off barrels, then I'd steer towards the 7RM. It'll likely last a bit longer than the 7STW.

Meanwhile, start saving for a big stick and when you get serious about Elk at 800yds+, then build a 338.

-- richard

If you're on a budget and looking for used take off barrels, then I'd steer towards the 7RM. It'll likely last a bit longer than the 7STW.

Meanwhile, start saving for a big stick and when you get serious about Elk at 800yds+, then build a 338.

-- richard

I dont disagree with this idea. Im not sure if I'll ever be able to get the money together to get two semi custom builds, scope and all but I do like this thought. I will probably end up with a budget semi custom build that is a fair balance and look at how longrange my elk hunting turns out to be. Then maybe jump up if it turns out I need the big rounds and use one gun that is overkill for the deer. I have a lighter T3 in 300wsm that I might rebarrel to a 270 wsm if this is the case, just so I have a good medium range/lightweight rifle.

For what its worth I shoot a 24" barreled 7MM STW with a 180 VLD at 3000 fps and I love it. That being said I have looked at the 300 WIN not the RUM with 210's. But I like 7MM's.

I sure would love to see some pics of a these MONSTER HOGS you have been shooting. I have shot a ton of hog and never find any that big got any pics.
I've posted some here before, including a couple of great big old sows I shot one evening with the .204.

450-700lbs is pretty common for boars around here and sows between 350-500 are pretty common as well.

We aren't overrun with them like ya'll are down there so those we do have eat better.

For scale I'm 5'8 and 210lbs. The boar hung out at right around 495 gutted.

The smallest sow in the group of three weighed around 300lbs. The big old girl in the middle right at 500lbs.

For scale the dog on your left wighted almost seventy lbs and the male right at 90. I shot all three in about twenty seconds out in the middle of a big wheat field in Throckmorton County one evening.

I have seen some killed in Archer, Baylor, Young, and Throckmorton counties over 900lbs. There was one about 10 years ago killed in Throckmorton county that gutted weighed 1,230lbs. The had to bring him out of the field with a winch truck.

Attachments

• DSCF0782.jpg
    DSCF0782.jpg
    342.9 KB · Views: 87
  • 204boar.jpg
    204boar.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 60
  • Wild_Boar_versatile_dogs.JPG
    Wild_Boar_versatile_dogs.JPG
    19 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:

-- richard
The STW's will last a long time as well as long as you aren't pushing Max loads on Max Bullets and just shooting the snot out of it.

I was looking for an excuse to put a custom bbl on my STW not long ago and had the local gun smith give it a hard look and he said it had plenty of life left in it and it's got well over 1,500rds through it.

Looks like you've pretty much made up your mind about a 7mm, but I went ahead and voted for the .300. I say plan for worse case (or best depending how ya look at it:D) and go bigger for elk at extended ranges.
Also, if you are trying to get a take off factory barrel you might not be able to shoot the longer VLD's due to twist rate. Just something to think about.

Looks like you've pretty much made up your mind about a 7mm, but I went ahead and voted for the .300. I say plan for worse case (or best depending how ya look at it:D) and go bigger for elk at extended ranges.
Also, if you are trying to get a take off factory barrel you might not be able to shoot the longer VLD's due to twist rate. Just something to think about.

I have a factory 7 RM. I getting a custom take off barrel that the smith has chambered when he comes across one that a previous customer that wants to rebarrel. He said it's not that uncommon that he has a customer comes back and wants to go bigger and the barrel still has lots of life, I believe he uses broughton barrel as his preferred barrel. Thanks for the reply :) and I am with you guys on the big 300 but he is recommending the 7 so I am going to trust him

You are making a big mistake going with the 7mm if you are considering elk hunting. You have gone from a good rifle in the 300 RUM to a very poor choice with the 7mm remington if you are considering elk size game. Will the 7mm remington kill elk? Sure it will, but you will be a far more succesful hunter at long range with a larger caliber elk rifle when all hunting circumstances are considered.

I have a factory 7 RM. I getting a custom take off barrel that the smith has chambered when he comes across one that a previous customer that wants to rebarrel. He said it's not that uncommon that he has a customer comes back and wants to go bigger and the barrel still has lots of life, I believe he uses broughton barrel as his preferred barrel. Thanks for the reply :) and I am with you guys on the big 300 but he is recommending the 7 so I am going to trust him
You know if you are bent on the 7mm and you are going with the 26" barrel I'd say come on up and join us with the STW's.

Run some of the 150gr Siroccos through it till you find a load it really likes and never look back.

I'm still nagging them to come up with a Sirocco in the 162-175gr range and they might at some point, but if you can make the 150's run in the 3200fps range with their .515 BC you'll be well enough armed to kill elk at probably any range you'd be willing to pull the trigger with high confidence.

I read that using David Tubb's system to break the barrel in and smooth it out every 100 rounds or so will add considerable length to the barrel and make it more accurate. Check his site out. He is the Rifleman of the century. I can't think of anyone more impressive with firearms and knowledge as him that I have read.

Im in the same debate as you right now but my main animal is moose followed closely by whitetail. My choice looks like its going to be a 300. win mag

I read that using David Tubb's system to break the barrel in and smooth it out every 100 rounds or so will add considerable length to the barrel and make it more accurate. Check his site out. He is the Rifleman of the century. I can't think of anyone more impressive with firearms and knowledge as him that I have read.

Wow, I would think that shooting a bunch of sand paper bullets down a barrel would ruin it faster. I bet it would be smooth... Like a shotgun.:D
I'm not trying to kill the messenger, I would just have a hard time believing the person that wrote that. I also don't have a whole lot of faith in a product the inventor (or whatever he is) doesn't use, even if he's the rifleman of the Melinium . I doubt he uses these bullets in his ultra super duty match grade custom barrels. Although I have been wrong from time to time.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.