300 RUM or 7mm with 180 bergers at 3000 fps

Better off using a 300 RUM or 7mm 180 bergers at 3000 fps

• 300 RUM 210/230 bergers

Votes: 186 52.5%
  • 7mm 180 bergers at 3000 fps

Votes: 168 47.5%

• Total voters
I shoot the 210gr Matrix bullets in my .30-8mm and I loaded some in my buddies .300 Win. Mag this year. He just shot a elk at 612yds a few weeks ago and they did very little damage as far as blood shot is concerned. They actually reminded more of a Barnes bullet but they will lose their core. The first shot was low in the liver and failed to fully penetrate. I found it in the liver. The bullet looked good and I couldn't even bend the peeled back portion of the copper. The remains of the core came out easily and there was tissue under it. So somehow the bullet lost a bunch of the lead in the core. The second shot went through the lungs and penetrated completely. The exit hole was about 1 1/4". The lungs had damage but it wasn't massive. The bull didn't go but about 3 step before it fell. It didn't even move after the first shot. It thrashed around, got back to it's feet, and went about 5 yards before it fell for good.

I shoot the 210gr Matrix bullets in my .30-8mm and I loaded some in my buddies .300 Win. Mag this year. He just shot a elk at 612yds a few weeks ago and they did very little damage as far as blood shot is concerned. They actually reminded more of a Barnes bullet but they will lose their core. The first shot was low in the liver and failed to fully penetrate. I found it in the liver. The bullet looked good and I couldn't even bend the peeled back portion of the copper. The remains of the core came out easily and there was tissue under it. So somehow the bullet lost a bunch of the lead in the core. The second shot went through the lungs and penetrated completely. The exit hole was about 1 1/4". The lungs had damage but it wasn't massive. The bull didn't go but about 3 step before it fell. It didn't even move after the first shot. It thrashed around, got back to it's feet, and went about 5 yards before it fell for good.

I sent you a private message about your barrel, hope to hear back from you :) And what have you found the actual BC to be on the matrix bullet?It says .725 static so I assume thats computer generated and nowhere near real world

Last edited:
I sent you a email back.

It looks to be closer to the Berger's. My .30-8mm shoots them 3100fps in a 27 1/2" barrel and shot a .96" 3 shot group at 550yds. They shoot better than the Bergers for me.

I talked to the smith I'm going to use and he's recommending the 7mm option for me. This smith does more shooting in a year than I ever will so I'm going to trust him. His reasoning is he has and has seen many elk taken out 900 yards very effectively with the 7 mm and the only thing the 300 rum is going to get me is a couple hundred ft lbs of energy , which isn't going to make up for a poor shot, at the cost of more recoil more powder more blast. So maybe if my majority of hunting was past 800 but with the heart of my hunting being sub 600 the 7 is quite adequate and still very capable on even elk out to 800. I am buying into this and looks like I will most likely be taking his advice. Hd also said that with my preference for a 26" tube the 7 was better as the 300 is most efficient in a 28

I talked to the smith I'm going to use and he's recommending the 7mm option for me. This smith does more shooting in a year than I ever will so I'm going to trust him. His reasoning is he has and has seen many elk taken out 900 yards very effectively with the 7 mm and the only thing the 300 rum is going to get me is a couple hundred ft lbs of energy , which isn't going to make up for a poor shot, at the cost of more recoil more powder more blast. So maybe if my majority of hunting was past 800 but with the heart of my hunting being sub 600 the 7 is quite adequate and still very capable on even elk out to 800. I am buying into this and looks like I will most likely be taking his advice. Hd also said that with my preference for a 26" tube the 7 was better as the 300 is most efficient in a 28
Well if youi're going to do that you might as well come over to the dark side and join the 7mm STW crowd... .gun)

I spent probably 30 years shooting the 7 R Mag as my primary and the STW does everything it does with about 300-400more FPS at any given range.

If you're going to reload anyhow the cost differential is negligible.

You're right. The first time I read that I was thinking .96MOA.

That's sub quarter MOA which is phenomenal.

I was pretty impressed myself. It shot several .3" 100yd groups and a .7" 250yd group before the group at 550yds. Not bad for a 4.5x14 Leupold either.

I am considering the stw. The smith states for some reason the stw only gets about 50 or a little more fps with the 180 but seems to have a better advantage using the 168. He uses one also and has rebarreled it like 9 times he shoots it so much. I already reload and have the 7 RM Redding competition 3 die set but I'm not counting out the stw yet. I'm going to be waiting for a take off barrel from him or a customers barrel that he has done that has good life. I just dont have the $$ to get a custom barrel new yet so I will have him blueprint the action and get a quality take off barrel. Hopefully by the time that burns out I'll be ready to drop the money on a new custom barrel. So because I have the dies already and money being an issue (200+$ just for dies if I go stw) I will go 7 RM but who knows we'll see which barrel becomes available first :)

I am considering the stw. The smith states for some reason the stw only gets about 50 or a little more fps with the 180 but seems to have a better advantage using the 168. He uses one also and has rebarreled it like 9 times he shoots it so much. I already reload and have the 7 RM Redding competition 3 die set but I'm not counting out the stw yet. I'm going to be waiting for a take off barrel from him or a customers barrel that he has done that has good life. I just have the $$ to get a custom barrel new yet so I will have him blueprint the action and get a quality take off barrel. Hopefully by the time that burns out I'll be ready to drop the money on a new custom barrel. So because I have the dies already and money being an issue (200+$ just for dies if I go stw) I will go 7 RM but who knows we'll see which barrel becomes available first :)
Well I'm not sure what loads he's using but you might want to do some reading up on it. The STW has about 10% more powder capacity than the Rem.

As for take off barrels check the classifieds here and watch gun broker. Sometimes you can pick one up in good condition for a couple of hundred bucks.

Heck you can get a new barrel from Kreiger for about 300-400.00.

EDTA:

Just checked my Hornady Load Manual and you should be able to easily get 200FPS faster with the same 180gr bullet out of the STW vs the 7 Rem.

Personally I really don't see the need to go with the 180. I've shot the 139-152's in the hornady interlock and interbond clean through some really big hogs and Elk certainly aren't any harder to penetrade than a big boar.

You can really make those weight bullets scream with the STW too !

Last edited:
The barrel cost 3-400 hundred but then smith charges to chamber the barrel also, so this is why the take off is much cheaper. I was also hoping to get a barrel that he chambered because he knows exactly how his reamers perform. As far as the 7 stw and 180 don't what to say but this is what he has found for the reamer he uses. I can't imagine a 168 at 3250-3300 fps would be easy to beat though. I'll have to ask him more about the stw

The barrel cost 3-400 hundred but then smith charges to chamber the barrel also, so this is why the take off is much cheaper. I was also hoping to get a barrel that he chambered because he knows exactly how his reamers perform. As far as the 7 stw and 180 don't what to say but this is what he has found for the reamer he uses. I can't imagine a 168 at 3250-3300 fps would be easy to beat though. I'll have to ask him more about the stw
I've got a good freind that's killed at least one Elk Every year for the last twenty five years or so in CO with is 7mm Mag and he's never run anything through it bigger than 170gr.

If I remember right his go to is the 160gr accubond. He shot Partitions for a long, long time but like most of us finally figured out the Accubond was far superior ballistically.

For him 600-800 yard or farther shots are the norm.

I've got a good freind that's killed at least one Elk Every year for the last twenty five years or so in CO with is 7mm Mag and he's never run anything through it bigger than 170gr.

If I remember right his go to is the 160gr accubond. He shot Partitions for a long, long time but like most of us finally figured out the Accubond was far superior ballistically.

For him 600-800 yard or farther shots are the norm.

Thinking back through the conversation with the smith I remember him leaning slightly towards the 168 over the 180's. I'll have to give this closer scrutiny to make my mind up. I was thinking 180's to wring every little ft lb of energy out of the 7 RM but the more I look at it the extra recoil for sub 100 ft/lb energy gained may not be worth it

The difference in a 24" barrel between a 7RM and 7 STW is very little. When you go to the longer barrels is where the 7STW starts to pull away. So I'd look at what barrel length you want to tote around and decide which case from that. For me, if I was in your shoes and already had dies etc., you'd have to get up to about 27-28+" before I would go to a 7STW shooting heavy bullets.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.