284 Jazz

JH I will be in your neck of the woods(Spearfish?) next week for the best of the west blast conference. Sorry but they won't let me carry firearms in company vehicles. Huh I can use 30,000lbs of explosives on a daily basis, but they don't trust me with a firearm:D. Just kidding company policy. Next up 600 to 1900+yds. Me and Nate have been waiting to see what it will do at a mile.

Brent

What days will you be down here? Spearfish is only about an hour away from Rapid. Maybe we could meet up and talk ballistics or explosives. :D

JH sorry it took so long to get back to you. I was up in Minot for EMT training until Saturday th 17th. I will be in Spearfish Tues night maybe, Wed, Thurs, and leave Fri mid morning. I am not sure how long class/conference is usually 8-5pm. I will have time I think Thurs night but I am not sure. Vendors take us out for dinner and our manager has something planned also. Usually pretty busy.

Brent

JH sorry it took so long to get back to you. I was up in Minot for EMT training until Saturday th 17th. I will be in Spearfish Tues night maybe, Wed, Thurs, and leave Fri mid morning. I am not sure how long class/conference is usually 8-5pm. I will have time I think Thurs night but I am not sure. Vendors take us out for dinner and our manager has something planned also. Usually pretty busy.

Brent

Don't sweat it. Doesn't look like we'll be able to meet up. I have Tue off but work 1400-2300 every day. Hopefully I won't see you while I'm at work since I'm with the county sheriff's dept. Have a safe trip. And keep the info coming! Have you thought about shooting the 180 JLK or 200 Wildcat?

JH, sorry I didn't let you see me at your work:D, for some reason I don't think I would want too!! Went to the Buffalo Chip sporting clays range for a scholarship fund tournament. I ended up winning a cabelas gift card. Not sure how, I didn't break too many!!! Are there any 600 yard ranges that could hold a shoot in the Spearfish area? I am trying to get them to have a rifle shoot along with the sporting clays.

Brent

Blipelt
I'm glad to hear you made it out of the area without incident. You'd be surprised how many people come here on vacation and leave here on probation.

There aren't any ranges that I know of. It would be nice if there was, I'd like to have a chance to get together with others for some shooting. I have a few good spots near Rapid to shoot but none are good for anything more than field practice.

Trueblue, if it ever gets nice out I want to shoot out at 600 and 1900. I am at what I wanted to achieve with this rifle already. 3200 with the 189 is what I was hoping for. With an ES of 7fps over 8 rounds and the ninth being 15fps slower it is tough to try something else. What do you expect barrel life to be with your Jazz?

Brent

Last edited:
I'm waiting on the nice weather too. We had 50+ mph wind today and they are calling for snow thurs night. Go figure, I finally have all my components together and can't develop a load.

Well I am getting closer, I just topped the Jazzand my wsm off with some 8-32X56 NXS's. Now I have no excuses why I shoot so poorly.

Brent

Nice choice on glass. The weather seems to be getting better for shooting, at least in the mornings. When you finally get a chance to burn some powder, let us know how it shoots.

blipelt, I know alot of folks are fans of the NF 5.5-22x. I personally prefer the higher x and like your choice. I myself have a 12-42x. What recticle did you choose?

I have the NPR1's. The weather is getting nicer to shoot not so much wind. I have no excuses anymore. A week off once a month with my new bid. I am excited I finally convinced my wife to just work summer school(teachers aid) and take the rest of the summer off. Only plans I have this summer is to build a garden shed and shoot:D. I am a lucky man.

Brent

Sounds like you'll have an outstanding summer. Watch the fingers when swinging the hammer so your able to shoot too:D. Enjoy.

Blipelt,
Any updates on the 284 Jazz. Very interested in this. Do you have to fireform your own brass or can you get it from nate?Thinking about building a lighter weight version of the 284 Jazz. Any info you could share would be appreciated. Have you found in inherently accurate? Does it seem to be finicky?Is reloading pretty straight forward.

Thanks Dan

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.