22-284

Discussion in 'Gun Photos' started by Bob the nailer, Oct 30, 2013.

1. Bob the nailer

Bob the nailer Well-Known Member

This is the one of the most fun cartridges I have put together, flat shooting, low recoil and since it will be used for crows/ chucks, ect I'm not worried about smokin out the barrel too quickly. Load development took only about 15 rounds and H1000 was the powder of choice.

75 grain V-max @ 3500 fps, 1/2" groups at 230yards. I'll have time to push it out further once late fall/winter hits.

Attached Files:

2. ncaster

ncaster Active Member

nice mauser build! did you do the stock your self?

3. Bob the nailer

I ordered the stock with a blind bottom semi-inlet and little to no barrel channel. It came roughly cut and a little off center line, I put alot of time in to correct the inlet, install pillers and bed the action then shape it to my liking. I usually hand rub the finish on however this time I applied several layers of a high gloss poly finish.

4. 300whisper

300whisper Well-Known Member

What is your estimate on barrel life? How far do you think you can push your load (like easily a 1000 yard rifle)? Beautiful work on the stock!

5. trebark

trebark Well-Known Member

Nice rifle. Curious about your bullet choice. If you intend to stretch the cartridge to it's limits (in terms of distance) why not shoot a 90grain pill? You certainly have the boiler room to get a heavy bullet going really fast.

6. Bob the nailer

Just started load development and went with a 75grain due to advice from Berger techs. With a 1-8 twist I can shoot the heavies, I have read varied barrel life as to how hot the load is. I did have the barrel cryo frozen ( 300 Below, inc) to slow throat erosion. Can't wait to dust a crow at 400yrds!!!:D

I wish I had access to some really long shots, only 400 max. around here.

7. trebark

trebark Well-Known Member

With an 8 twist barrel, you can shoot bullets up to 80ish grains. You would need 7 twist to shoot the 90 grain pills. But with a max 400 yard shot the 75grainer will perform nicely.

8. Bob the nailer

Thanks to "ogallala_1" on the forums here, he really helped me out with some loads and ballistics along with how well the heavy pills shoot.

Thanks for all the comments, I have read that this cartridge will really smoke the lighter weight bullets too.:cool:

Guns & Ammo, August 1964, ran an article where they had a 15grain 22cal. bullet screaming at 6500fps!!! Don't see articles like that today.

9. lhouston78

lhouston78 Well-Known Member

I have a 22-6mm ack with a 1-8 twist and it shoots the 90 bergers @ 3450 in to less than a 1/2 inch at 200 yards.

10. Bob the nailer

I remember reading an article in American Rifleman on a 22-6mm A.I. build. Same fast twist with heavy pills, amazing cartridge indeed!

11. Jcub

Jcub Well-Known Member

The rifle is beautiful, the cal. has the cool factor. AWESOME rifle!