284 Jazz

Sorry guys I know some of you are waiting on some results of this caliber. I just got my power back on, it has been out for 3+days. Pretty bad storm swept our area on Friday. Alot of people are without power, I am lucky some will be for a week or more. Hopefully I will be able to get out With the guy who built it this weekend to do some developing.

Brent

Last edited:
Guys I will let Nate reply on what all he offers ex. fireforming. All I can mention is what he helped me with. The Jazz is a new caliber so he is helping me out with getting started. I am a novice compared to alot on this site. We stepped the .338 down to a .30 and then to the .284. With Nate's rec. we fireformed with 90grs. of US869 and a 180 berger. We loaded up 25. Now these groups are fireforming and cleaning (15 cleaned after each and then every three).

S5002277.jpg

.755 five shot group

S5002276.jpg

this is a three shot group at .52. The upper one was when I was zeroing the rifle.

Last edited:
How would this case push the 200gr wildact? Was planning on a 7mm/338 lapua build but this has sparked some interest also.

I don't know yet about the 200 wildcats but I can tell you some results myself and Nate learned this afternoon. First off it was a terrible day to do any shooting. When we planned it the forecast called for 58 and breezey. I guess breezey means 25-35mph guts from every direction it seemed. The wind was so bad while laying prone it would blow you off your target a couple of inches.

We used Bob C. 189's with US869 powder and fed match mag primers.

Eight of nine shots with 97.2grs of US869 had a velocity of 3205-3212. The ninth was 15fps less. ES of 7fps. With 98grs. Nate noticed a slight change in bolt lift with a velocity of 3267fps. I am sure you can push it over 3200, but I am not after the max performance. The group averaged .8moa throughout the testing(94-98grs), but it is tough to group in the conditions we had. When it gets nicer this evening hopefully I will get out and do some grouping with this load. Hopefully Nate will chime in and add since I am sure I missed quite a bit of important information.

Nate at SSG did custom dies and shell holder for this caliber, he also has brass on hand.

Brent

Last edited:
THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT!! I bet the 200 gr Wildcats will be awesome at around 3100 fps. You can push it faster but I'll bet that's in the neighborhood of the accuracy load. Looks like I might re-barrel my 7 SAUM sooner than expected.

Brent,
It was a lot of fun shooting with you on Saturday and getting to do some load development. I am very excited about the E.S. I am anxious to stretch her legs out a little further when the weather is a more permittable. Did you get a chance to shoot her Sat. night when the wind died down?

I must say it sure was sweet shooting that rifle.

More to come when we actually get this thing out and stretch her legs,

Nate

Sorry Nate I ran out of daylight. Hopefully if the wind dies down tues. or wed. I will get a chance to see. You better bring your game face when YOU shoot it at 1900+yds. I don't want to embarass myself yet.

Brent

Went out to do some grouping today. The conditions still aren't the best with gusty winds at 15-20mph. If I wait for perfect conditions it will never happen so here are some results.

I shot five at 100yds. fouling the barrel with the first two. The group was around 1moa. Nate mentioned that they might not have "went to bed yet" and to try out at 300yds. With a extreme spread of 7fps it is tough to change the recipe.

At 350yds I was shooting out of the box of my pickup. It was moving a little by the wind but not bad. I couldn't get up high enough where I went to shoot. We had rain last night and I didn't want the tear up the land I usually go to. I adjusted 3.5moa up and 1moa to the left to try and comp for the wind. I just guessed I didn't run any numbers. The first two were .875" apart and the third spread it out to 1.625". The third I didn't get to shoot right away, so I waited until the conditions seemed to be the same. I pulled a little, it didn't feel quite as good as the first two. It has been a long winter and I better start shooting more. The rip in the center was where I stapled it.

S5002280.jpg

My new bench(2010 Tundra rims and tires should be here tomorrow):
S5002278.jpg

Brent

Last edited:
Blipelt I really need to stop reading your posts on your new rifle. It's making me want to rechamber mine. Since you are having a tough time finding time and getting the weather to cooperate to work up a load, maybe you should send it here and I'll see what I can do. :D Keep the info coming!

JH I will be in your neck of the woods(Spearfish?) next week for the best of the west blast conference. Sorry but they won't let me carry firearms in company vehicles. Huh I can use 30,000lbs of explosives on a daily basis, but they don't trust me with a firearm:D. Just kidding company policy. Next up 600 to 1900+yds. Me and Nate have been waiting to see what it will do at a mile.

Brent

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.