284 Jazz

blipelt

284 Jazz *UPDATED Range results*

I am off this afternoon to go and get my 7wsm's big brother. Here are a few pics to get you started.

securedownload1.jpg

securedownload2.png

More to come!

Brent

Last edited:
Specs are:

Defiance action built to SSG specs
accel. firing pin, heavy tang target port
Chambered in the new 284 Jazz
Brux barrel #5 1:9 interupted fluting finished at 28"
SSG mini extreme brake
bolt also has interupted fluting design
Jewel trigger set at a crisp 1lb
HS detachable bottom metal
Mcmillan A5 with adjustable cheek piece
Seekins 20moa base
TPS rings
Nightforce 5.5-22X56 NXS with NPR-2 recticle
All work done by Nathan Dagley at Straight Shot Gunsmithing

We ran a few rounds down the tube cleaning after each shot. We loaded US869 up at 90grs. and a 180 berger. It felt like a 223, the mini extreme was doing it's job better than I could have ever imagined. Hopefully I will get the barrel breakin done tomorrow. Then comes the fun part of Nate and myself working up loads and seeing what it will do.

Last edited:
Nice looking rifle!
Nate sure has done a nice job on it. What sort of velocity are you expecting with the 180 berger? similar to 7RUM? It should handle the 200 gr Wildcat nicely.

Stu.

You are correct Nate's work is top notch.

probably around 3200fps. Not really sure yet. I have some 189's also to try and a few different powders. us 869 with 90grs wasn't close to a max load. I will look into the 200's as soon as they become readily available.

Brent

Blipelt,
I like the look of the staggered fluting on the bolt to go with the barrel.
Great caliber choice. Should rock those 180's. Great looking rifle.

Brent

Great rifle. Belonging to this forum is expensive...so many awesome rigs:)

Do you have a weight as it's depicted in the picture?

What is the case capacity of your fired brass?

I think Paul/Wildcat bullets has some 200s ready to go.

Thanks for sharing, and look forward to what load you settle in on.

Trueblue thanks for the idea of the Jazz. I like the bolt fluting also.

Autorotate the rifle weighs 14.6lbs according to my bathroom scale. I have read somewhere the water case capacity for the 338 norma was around 106grains so the jazz should be pretty close. I haven't checked for myself yet. We fired a few rounds down the barrel and I have to finish barrel breakin hopefully tomorrow. Not to many places to go shoot. Spring is here and everything is muddy or still covered with snow. It is just one of those things.

Brent

Me like...

I guess I will have to start bugging Nate....I hope I am moving to the top of the list.

I like everything about the rifle except I would get the barrel and action black.

The stock is exactly the same color scheme I was thinking of getting....I wanted something to match sage-brush pattern of Southern Sask. Prairies.

Interesting choice in Muzzle-Brake why did you go for that style vs. his more "streamlined one"? or was that Nate's choice?

Looks great and anxiously awaiting range report....

With the mini-extreme break it sucks up almost all recoil so anybody can shoot it. It also looks pretty cool I think:D. The Defiance action is really smoooooooooooooooth!

Brent

Brent or Nate,
As usual, that is another incredible rig produced by Nate! Other than better brass, what advantages are you looking for over the 7 Ultra Mag? Speed? Accuracy? Barrel life? What fire forming is necessary? Is fire formed brass a possibility from SSG? I am looking forward to the range results.
Thanks,
Jett

I'm not Brent or Nate, but will throw my 2 cents in here.
Advantages are as follows:
-Better brass. The 338 Norma brass(parent case) is top notch, tough as hell, on par with Lapua brass in my opinion. Norma pulled out all the stops when making this brass.
- COAL. The COAL length of this caliber along with other wildcats(300 JAZZ) based on the 338 Norma parent case allow the use of longer VLD bullets to be used in a standard 3.60 mag design, unlike the Lapua case which requires a longer COAL in order to not set the bullet in powder colume.

I'm not Brent or Nate, but will throw my 2 cents in here.
Advantages are as follows:
-Better brass. The 338 Norma brass(parent case) is top notch, tough as hell, on par with Lapua brass in my opinion. Norma pulled out all the stops when making this brass.
- COAL. The COAL length of this caliber along with other wildcats(300 JAZZ) based on the 338 Norma parent case allow the use of longer VLD bullets to be used in a standard 3.60 mag design, unlike the Lapua case which requires a longer COAL in order to not set the bullet in powder colume.

Perfect answer....and you beat me too it.

Although I have heard Norma brass is a little on the soft side, but IIRC Nate says he is getting multiple loadings on the brass so it is all good.

There is a valid debate on the value of weight sorting, as what we care about as precision shooters in the consistency of the volume of the brass.......

But here's the results I saw with 50 randon pieces of brass from lots of 100 from 3 different calibers/mfgs of brass. Yes, I weighed 150 pieces of brass:(

338 Norma
Avg case weight=313.6 grains
Case weight SD=.2 grains
Case weight ES=.4 grains

338 Lapua
Avg case weight=326.9
Case weight SD=.6 grains
Case weight ES=.7 grains

338-378 Wby
Avg case weight=321.6 grains
Case weight SD=1.3 grains
Case weight ES=3.2 grains

What does it mean? It wasn't a lab grade scale, so the scale could have drifted some during the "test", but it indicated to me the 338 Norma brass might be consistent:)

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.