My 284 win

Riley,

Fill me in on the action changes you mentioned. I know very little about the Savage action.

Maybe the changes will bring me around.....

The bolt release is on the bottom infront of the trigger guard, and they changed the recoil lug, i dont know what exactly what they did with the recoil lug but i was told that my an employee from stockystocks. The action feeds great with the 284 win case and i have PLENTY of room in the mag, i have about .4" of room left in the mag with the 162 amax touching the lands, with the 195 berger i should have about .1" left in the mag with it touching the lands.

Riley, are you sure about the stock thing, there are some differences but I'm fairly sure that it's GTG. It looks like the recoil lug is aftermarket as well, I haven't done the Accustock yet so I can't say for sure but a quick search of Savage shooters yield several threads that indicate just an easy swap.

Its the factory recoil lug, he just removed the nut. I will do some more looking. We are supposed to be getting around 18" of snow today and so far we have about 14" :rolleyes: So it might be a while until i get some shooting done.

The weather was finally decent enough to go shooting, 75 degrees infact (and yes i did get sunburned :rolleyes: :D). I did the shoot and clean 10 times and i wasnt making a whole lot of progress on the cleaning. I then did shoot 5 and clean (3 times) and it really started to improve in cleaning time, then 15 shots and clean (twice) and it was cleaning up pretty good. Four, 3 minute soaks with Bore tech CU+2 and she was clean by the end. I used a mild load of 50 grains of H4350 (please dont come and steal any :), and i should hit pressure around 54 grain FYI ) with the 162 grain amaxs that i threw together and it was shooting about .75 moa with the 5 shot groups and about 1.75 MOA groups with the 15 shot groups from a shaky bench , being fatigued from being in the sun all day, and 10-20 mph wind. The loads were running about 2730 fps the first few shots then the wind picked up to about 20 mph and knocked the chrony over.... twice, then i was able to get it stand and not fall over (i told it to stay there in a soft soothing voice :D ) and it went to about 2670 fps average at the last 15 rounds.

Riley

I did some powder charge testing today, i tested 52-54.8 grains of H4350 in .2 increments, i hit pressure at 53 grains so i stopped there. The mirage and wind were bad, the wind was gusting from 10-20 and with the mirage i could barely make out the center of the target, my best group was at 52.2 grains and IIRC (dont have the notes infront of me) about 2780 fps and about .5 MOA accuracy, if the wind and mirage werent so bad i think i would have done a bit better. Next i am going to do some seating depth testing, i will let you know how it goes!

I went shooting again today, the mirage was much better and wind was a lot calmer and was a headwind. I used 52.2 grains of H4350 and testing seating depths. I tested .020" jam, .010" jam, .000", .010" jump, .020" jump, and .030" jump, i tested five rounds of each except for the .020" jam, that one had three. Results were not good, i am thinking of trying a primer change? I am using fed 215 match right now, i have some winchester standard and magnum primers that i can try. I feel very confident that i can shoot at least .5 MOA at this range. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Attachments

• IMG_4723.JPG
    IMG_4723.JPG
    66.4 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_4724.JPG
    IMG_4724.JPG
    51.2 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_4725.JPG
    IMG_4725.JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_4726.JPG
    IMG_4726.JPG
    48 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_4727.JPG
    IMG_4727.JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_4728.JPG
    IMG_4728.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 103
It certainly doesn't like the combinations you have tried so far. Is 4350 the only powder you have to try ? Did you bed the Accustock ? You shouldn't have to but it wouldn't hurt.
First thing to do is try different bullets and powder.

The accustock isnt bedded, and i have some H4831 but i have 16 lbs of H4350 that i bought to shoot out of this gun. :rolleyes: I will keep with the H4350 and see if i can find anything, i will try jumping it some more and a primer change and see if i get lucky.

Those groups are just big, no real patterns just big. Have you tried tuning your action screws? It just seems like something is not giving your load a chance.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.