My 284 win

Discussion in 'Gun Photos' started by barnesuser28, Apr 10, 2013.

1. barnesuser28

barnesuser28 Well-Known Member

Hey guys i got my gun back from the smith on tuesday and i got the stock inletted and was able to mount the scope tonight. No pics yet because i cant find the card reader but i will try to get some up tomorrow. Not much to look at because i dont have an aftermarket stock yet. Specs are:

Gunsmith: Nate from Straight Shot Gunsmithing
    Action: Savage 116 Weather Warrior FCSS
    Barrel: Bartlein 1:8 twist SS 5R #4 contour finished at 26"
    Muzzle Brake: Center Shot Rifles Mini Magnum Muscle Brake
    Trigger: Factory accutrigger that i reworked and polished to get rid of the small amount of creep.
    Stock: Factory Weather Warrior Stock that i inletted for the #4 barrel.
    Scope: Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 SFP EBR 1-MOA reticle.
    Caliber: 284 WIN with about .265 freebore and a .317 neck.

I plan to go shooting on Friday to brake it in but i snapped my cleaning rod and i am not sure if my new ones are going to be here by then. I will update this thread with groups, and all the other fun stuff as it happens.

Take care, Riley

2. bigngreen

bigngreen Well-Known Member

I guess I can't give you any crap for a no show with the pics since I've failed the last couple so I'll patiently await you getting your act together a producing some pics :D

3. barnesuser28

Haha, I will try harder on the 30/375 S.I.......lightbulb I will see if i can get some pics up after school, i still have a couple minor things to do before she is ready to shoot! The only problem is i have to have my cleaning rods here by friday because this weekend i will be in Sioux Falls SD for a wedding. Maybe next week we can find time to get some break-in done. My 16 lbs of H4350 for this gun should be here today. gun)

Riley

4. barnesuser28

Well we cant make it to the wedding because we are supposed to be getting some bad weather. The good news is i found my card reader and i will get pics up in a bit, i should also mention that the barrel is a #3 contour bartlein but a #4 contour Brux (which is what it was going to be but there was a mix up and i ended up with the bartlein). My cleaning rods didnt show up so i cant go shoot it yet :rolleyes: .

5. barnesuser28

Like i said not much to look at but here ya go. gun)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. jskmtd

jskmtd Well-Known Member

Riley,
    That looks like a very nice rifle. Hopefully you will be able to shoot it soon and give us a range report. What does the rifle weigh as it sits?
    Jon

7. barnesuser28

The bathroom scale says 12 lbs but i dont think it is that heavy, the gun with the thinner 22" 270 barrel weighed about 7 lbs so i dont know what to think. the scope is only like a pound and a third. I have another rifle at Nate's that he is going to do for me and my Dad (30yrbrd), a 30/375 S.I.

8. mtnwrunner

mtnwrunner Well-Known Member

Man, I guess things do change---when I was 14, I thought I was pretty cool when my dad would let me wander around the pastures after school with a ruger 10-22 shooting sage rats.:)
    Riley, that's a good looking rifle.

Randy

Last edited: Apr 13, 2013
  9. barnesuser28

Thanks Randy, i would say about 3 or 4 times a week i walk around after school and shoot sparrows with my pellet gun. I think my record is something like 33?? :D :D gun)

10. royinidaho

royinidaho Writers Guild

Yeah, and it probably don't shoot worth a squat either. :D

ALso you weighed it on a set of male scales. Use female scales. They weigh lighter.:rolleyes:

11. bigngreen

bigngreen Well-Known Member

Very nice rifle, looks like it will balance nice! What aftermarket stock you dropping it in?

12. barnesuser28

Roy, thanks, that made my day. And trust me, i am very excited to shoot this thing but the reason i said its not much to look at is because it looks like a factory weather warrior with a vortex scope and a brake..... That is until i get a new stock on it. :)

Rhian, thanks, i am not sure yet, since savage changed their recoil lug and bolt release with some of the accustock rifles, i dont think any of the current aftermarket stock will fit. I think i need to have one custom inletted for my action but i am not sure who to have do it. Recommendations??

13. HARPERC

HARPERC Well-Known Member

It will look better to you when you take pictures that include the awesome targets it will shoot, or dead critters. Looks like a good start to me.

14. barnesuser28

I like the way you think!! :D:D gun)