Zeroing Rifle for Longrange shooting

Desert Fox

I've always zeroed my rifle at 100 yards, but after reading Kirby's post on another thread that he does his at 500, I wondered, How does the rest of the guys here set their zeroes! After all I have two groups that I've shoot a couple of days ago with both my 308 and 338 that validates Kirby's method. I was aiming at the center square.

Here's the 338 Lapua's 3 shot group - 1" low about 2" left could be the wind!

Target001.jpg

Here's the 308 Winchester 3 shot group - 1.5"high about 1/2" right could be spindrift and scope click error!

Target016.jpg

Need help in analyzing the group. The condition were about the same although it was a week apart.

i like to zero at 300. if anything happens quick, you're good to about 350. my recommendation would be to shoot a group at 100, crank the scope up 10 moa, shoot a group, then repeat with 20 up on the scope. this will eliminate the spin drift and tell you if your scope is tracking vertically or not.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.