Zeiss Victory RF 10x45 Rangefinder Binocular Review

So how is the testing going? I am trying to decide whether to go with the Leica Geovids or the Zeiss RF's. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Doc,
As I said, if its ranging capabilities you're after, then the Zeiss RF is significantly better than the Geovids. Not much difference between them optically. The RF's daylight ranging capabilities are significantly better than the Swarovski as well.
The Zeiss's are what I grab everytime we go hunting now, and I have the choice of all 3.
Greg

Len, Yes I do understand that was for the monocular version.

There seem to be alot of bells and wistles on the expensive model and I am very impressed with the level of Divergence when you compared the Swaro and the Zeiss together. I am assuming that the ranging system in the monocular compared to the binocular isn't quite the same, or is it??

Either way, Sounds like it will be blowing the leica out of the water !!

I have a pair of Geovids. How do they compare? To be honest, i have not been that impressed with my Geovids. I look forward to your review. TC

Doc,
As I said, if its ranging capabilities you're after, then the Zeiss RF is significantly better than the Geovids. Not much difference between them optically. The RF's daylight ranging capabilities are significantly better than the Swarovski as well.
The Zeiss's are what I grab everytime we go hunting now, and I have the choice of all 3.
Greg

How far can you range animals, trees, and reflective objects with the Zeiss? How does the Zeiss compare to the Swarovski in overcast conditions?

this thread has sorta died here. anything on how it's max rangeing ability as compared to the swarovski is my interest. i currently have a swarovski and can get 1999 on perfect conditions and 1300 pretty consistent in the bright sun. my problem with the swaro is the huge 2 mil beam divergence. it works fine in steep country, but trying to get "accurate" readings on deer/antelope in ground without a lot of relief is pointless. it will almost always spit out a number, but you cant know exactly what it was it gave that reading. anyone with any results please chime in, there has been over 3,300 views, there must be interest.
thanks,
tom

i asked NZ longranger if he would compare them as i thought he had all 3. he was talking about the binos before but now has the zeiss mono version and can compare with the Leica and Swaro. said he would give us a report when he gets his comparison finalized.

Well, it already ranged past the stated range...in bright sunlight. I wish I had some quality time with it to see how it would do with deer poking up out of a sage brush field. But...color problem for me.

If not for my color issue I was going to buy one from SWFA.

Hi Len, you mention a color issue above . There are glasses which can correct some color blindness issues. If you are interested I will see if I can find the website and let you know. I have never seen these glasses except on a website and have no financial interest in them. My cousin is color blind and I was going to let his wife know, perhaps as a Christmas present. But I would have have had to warn her that he may get upset, after all these years, to find out that she is not green. All the best Steve

Steve, thanks, I talked to my eye doctor a while ago and he discouraged me about them.

I have the RF 10x45s. I am very pleased with these, I haven't heard about the beam measurements and it makes sense, because it is very easy to laser targets, at any distance really. I am a bowhunter so the button being on the right side(unlike the Leica) for my right hand as my left holdsthe bow, it is perfect. Ive ranged into the upper 1500s in any condition really. Hunted Elk this year with a guy that had Nikons, Many many times he would ask me to look somewhere to verify what it was. I dont think there is a better set of optics made.

i finally bought a set.... looks like they max out in ideal conditions at 1700-1730ish. will still read 1700 in marginal conditions, and under ugly sun/mirage will still do into the 1500's. very very fast returns, seem very very accurate, a very nice tool.
tom

I have a set of Geovids and my buddy just bought a pair of the Zeiss so we will be doing a head to head on them on every hunting trip im sure. but the above poster has me thinking the zeiss has the advantage over the Geovid in distance at least. we will see how each does on antelope out on the hot plains of wyoming this fall. ill let you guys know

In the review, the beam divergence is listed as 0.5 mrad high. Is this correct?
The laser beam divergence is 1.6 mrad wide x 0.5 mrad high? While this is ideal, I think most rangefinders have the vertical length longer.

I just want to verify before dropping the $.

Thanks-

Try the Swaro EL Range before you think about buying the Zeiss. The EL's are significantly better as a hunting rangefinder bino in my opinion. They are better optically, will range considerably further, weigh a bit less and are more compact, and have the excellent TBR type angle feature. :)
Greg

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.