Zeiss Conquest HD5 5-25x50 vs VX-3 8-25x50LR

dan1775

Friends,

I robbed the VX-3 6.5-20x40 off my 204 to put on the Vartarg, so I find myself needing another scope. I have narrowed it down to two: the Zeiss Conquest HD5 5-25x50 or the Leupold VX-3 8-25x50LR.

Does anyone have any recommendations on the relative pros and cons of these two scopes? I'd be getting the Rapid Z-Varmint or Varmint Hunter's reticle, so on price and reticle it's a push. I like the 30mm tube of the Leupold over the 1" tube of the Zeiss, but that is just about the only difference I can see. Past that it's going to come down to clarity, resolution, eye relief, and adjustment.

I am a Leupold fan but I do have a hankering to try a Zeiss. One thing, actually the only thing, I don't care for about the Leupold 6.5-20x40 that I have already is that the optimal eye relief tends to vary significantly based upon the selected magnification. I'm usually scanning for rats at the near-lowest power and then increasing it once I am dialed in on a target. But that might just be the nature of a high-powered variable, I don't know.

Anyway, if you have a preference what would you choose and why?

Thanks,
Dan

<also posted at 204ruger forum, or wherever else I think I might get an answer..>

I cannot speak about the Conquest HD5, but all of the Zeiss Victory line of optics beats every high-end Leupold scope I have used. Clarity, crispness and low-light light transmission is far better with the Zeiss Victory line. I have been tempted to find a Conquest HD so I can compare it to my Victory. Hopefully somebody here will post up what they have experienced.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.