Youth elk options?

TX mountain hunter

I've been fortunate over the years to have multiple successful harvests on public land elk including a few good bulls and some cows. Most have been after several days of hard hunting and lots of ground covered. Last year I took my boys (12 & 13) on an archery hunt and a November rifle hunt. We covered lots of ground and had a missed archery 5x5 bull (and tons of good memories) to show for.

This year, for reasons I'd not like to get into, we only have two long weekends available that don't seem to mesh well with nearby elk seasons (AZ, CO, NM) with our restricted dates being Oct 2-4 & Nov 20-22 (leaving after school let's out Friday and back by Tuesday morning). If anyone has recommendations to help tilt the odds in their favor for an elk hunt (bull or cow) matching those very limited dates and restrictions it would be greatly appreciated. Open to PM / direct messages.

I've been fortunate over the years to have multiple successful harvests on public land elk including a few good bulls and some cows. Most have been after several days of hard hunting and lots of ground covered. Last year I took my boys (12 & 13) on an archery hunt and a November rifle hunt. We covered lots of ground and had a missed archery 5x5 bull (and tons of good memories) to show for.

This year, for reasons I'd not like to get into, we only have two long weekends available that don't seem to mesh well with nearby elk seasons (AZ, CO, NM) with our restricted dates being Oct 2-4 & Nov 20-22 (leaving after school let's out Friday and back by Tuesday morning). If anyone has recommendations to help tilt the odds in their favor for an elk hunt (bull or cow) matching those very limited dates and restrictions it would be greatly appreciated. Open to PM / direct messages.

Not necessarily restricting to those states, just realizing that going much further would likely require substantially higher elk ratios to make up for the drive time difference.

TX, I thought I'd mention the expanded opportunities for youth 12-17, where they can hunt on an unfilled E/S or antlerless elk or deer tag, later in the year, some thru December. I'll keep an eye out for other possibilities.

TX, I thought I'd mention the expanded opportunities for youth 12-17, where they can hunt on an unfilled E/S or antlerless elk or deer tag, later in the year, some thru December. I'll keep an eye out for other possibilities.
Thank you. I was under the impression most of those state late options were for resident youth only but that's an option I will dig more into for sure.

I'm, not seeing a residency requirement. If you can get access, there is also some excellent pronghorn hunting not far from the TX border. We have a hoot out there. Good luck, it's smart for you to jump on this soon as the first tues in April comes up quick.

I'm, not seeing a residency requirement. If you can get access, there is also some excellent pronghorn hunting not far from the TX border. We have a hoot out there. Good luck, it's smart for you to jump on this soon as the first tues in April comes up quick.
Very cool. Great lead, thank you! Now off to research late season elk on CO public. While I've had great luck in September and October in CO, I / we have been 0% for later dates so far.

I would contact some of the outfitters since I know one very well that offers very reasonable cow elk landowner tag hunts in New Mexico. That would be my recommendation. You send me a PM and I will gladly send the outfitters contact info if you are interested. Good luck.

Tx-mh if some day you wish to treat them consider taking them to the Vermejo for a late season cow hunt. Just to be able to drive around that place would be well worth the admission...:)

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.