Yet another. . .6.5 topic ! ! ! Info PLEASE.

STEEL SLINGER

I KNOW. . .I KNOW. . .GET YOUR STICKS OUT AND LETS HAVE ANOTHER "6.5 DOG BEAT'N"! ! !

I have a 6.5 Swede in a Rem. 700 Classic that I have fell in love with and will keep original, it started this whole 6.5 quest. So this is what's up my sleeve; I have collected a Rem. 700 LA, a 28" .264 barrel blank, 500+ pieces of Lapua 6.5x55 brass and was given 420 pieces of 7x57 RWS brass. I am wanting to build a semi-hotrod 35* "Improved" .264 version of one or the other of these two cases. The barrel will be taken down to 26" and I want to be able to seat ONLY 140gr. VLD/A-Max type bullets long in the case, not getting down to far into the shoulders to interfere with the boiler room. . .I do like to run my loads just shy of max, looking to achieve 2900 to 3000 fps. I will have use of dies until I purchase my own, and there are 3 sets; 6.5x55 Swede 35*, 6.5x57 35* and 6.5x257 35*. . .just not sure which is the best candidate! This will be used for deer/caribou (med. game) out to 800 yards.

As factory new cases there is only .73 grs. of H2O weight capacity difference between the two in favor of the Swede. The 6.5 Lapua case neck length is .295" and the 7x57 RWS is .322". With that said;
1. How much case neck will be lost by fire forming and going to the 35* shoulder on each of these cartridges?
2. Is it possible to lengthen a case neck to an "Improved" cartridge when fire forming? Whichever case I decide to go with, I would like to have a .300" to .315" case neck length to stabilize the long VLD bullets.
3. Or, is the neck length achieved by bumping the shoulders back? In that case, what will the capacity be then?
4. What is the difference between the 6.5x57 and 6.5x257 dies. . .is this not the same cartridge? If not, is there an advantage to one over the other?

From what I have read across the various forums there is little difference in these cartridges ballistics wise, is there anything else that would make you choose one over the other and which one REALLY does have the edge? Lets here what you got.

- PLEASE. . .no 6.5-.284, 6.5 Grendal, .260 Rem, 6x47 etc. etc.. . .these are the two I want to work with and to stay on topic with. Thank you -

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.