XLR Ind HD Chassis

TexHunt

I am building a 338 Lapua with a Surgeon action and trying to decide on a stock to go with. I found the XLR and really like the modular design. I was hoping to see if there are any issues anyone see with this type of design for a hunting/carry LR hunter. I like the fact that I can add a folding stock and other options, yet keep the weight close to a traditional stock with adj cheek.

What I found is with removing the bottom metal from the Surgeon action, the weight is virtually the same as a Manners T6A, which was my first choice initially. With the folding option, this gives me a little more mobility for the carry in, I would think.

Any input would be appreciated.

Specs:
Surgeon 1581 XL
Krieger 28" #7
Break: Painkiller
Jewell or remington trigger
XLR HD Chassis or Manners T6A stock
5.5-20 NF Scope

Also, would anyone have an XLR in the Houston area that I could take a look at before I buy?

Tex Hunt i purchased the XLR chassis for my long range gun in a 300wsm cartridge. i have it in the folding stock option because i back pack hunt with it. i can fold it up and carry it in my eberlystock pack with the weight close to center of gravity on my back and the total weight of the gun is 16#'s. very comfortable to carry this way and i am 62yrs old. the machine work is superb on this stock and top quality quality material. the stock is fully adjustable to your length of pull and cheek rest for your scope highth. i went with the standard butt and am happy with it. i would buy another one if i were to do another build. hope this helps.

TexHunt - did you end up going with the XLR HD chassis?

I've got a similar build in progress right now (1581 XL, Bartlein 28" Rem Varmnit/Sendero, X-Treme Shooting Mod 22 trigger, Vortex Razor Gen 2) and the only things not confirmed are the stock and the scope rings. I'm leaning towards the XLR over a McMillan A5 (I'm not patient enough to wait the 6 months for my first choice which was a Manners EH-1).

I am trying to figure out the right ring height to clear the XLR hand guard. Components are at the smith now and I can't measure it myself, any help you can provide would be much appreciated. Thanks.

TexHunt - did you end up going with the XLR HD chassis?

I've got a similar build in progress right now (1581 XL, Bartlein 28" Rem Varmnit/Sendero, X-Treme Shooting Mod 22 trigger, Vortex Razor Gen 2) and the only things not confirmed are the stock and the scope rings. I'm leaning towards the XLR over a McMillan A5 (I'm not patient enough to wait the 6 months for my first choice which was a Manners EH-1).

I am trying to figure out the right ring height to clear the XLR hand guard. Components are at the smith now and I can't measure it myself, any help you can provide would be much appreciated. Thanks.

You might want to consider a emailing/PM him, as you can see this is an older thread and he does not frequent the site.

I too have a build in parts acquisition stage but will be using the element, tac lite butt stock with folding adapter and the action is BHA SR2 LA ... and yes, I will be hunting with it too.

Good luck on your build.

I have one on my current 338 lm and it is awesome. I shoot this mostly just to practice and my 338 AM will also have the same so they are as close as possible

I have one on my .338 LM but it's pretty heavy.

Most of it is going to depend on what scope lives on it, but I would not want to be lugging mine up and down mountains or through the woods with the Razor Gen II on it.

As stated it really depends on what scope when you choose rings. Not sure what action is going on the new one. My 338 lm is on a savage action. I did have to run a bit higher rings on that one to clear the hand guard. It is a very nice stock imo

Just finished my build and went with a SPUHR:SP-4006 which is 1.35" high. I've got good clearance on the handguard ~1/8", but the handguard bracket is the limiting factor in terms of how far back you can mount the scope.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.