Xbolt max

I would be willing to bet that if the twist is measured it's not going to be dead on 8. At least half an inch to one inch slower. But still should shoot 180s. I'm not going to bash xbolts but I will say I have found them to be about the same as any other factory rifle as far as accurracy, no better.

I had one and tried all different loads and depths and still couldn't get it to shoot. I tried 4-5 different scopes it wasn't a scope issue. I called Browning and they recommended shooting 175 gr factory Remington, Winchester and I believe Federal. I bought a box of Remington's and it still wouldn't shoot. I sent it back to Browning they kept it for about 1 1/2 months and sent it back to me with a couple holes touching on a target. I mounted a scope took it out to my range and it shot just like it did before I sent it back. I sent it back to Browning with a letter telling them how I felt about their product , about 3 months later I got a new one back from Browning. It's still in the box unfired if anyone is interested in it. It the Max long range in 7 mm mag.

Pm sent

I'm having a hard time getting my xbolt to shoot very good. Can't seem to get anything I've tried to shoot under an inch. What are some tips you fellas can give me, any advice is helpful! Powders, bullets, primers, reloading techniques. It all helps. View attachment 185145

As someone who had a similar experience with my first X-bolt with the first 60 shots, BUT also as someone who was able to resolve the issue, I have several questions for you. -
you indicated couldn't get it to shoot under 1", what kind of groups have you actually been able to get? Have you tried any factory ammo? How many rounds through the barrel? Did you follow brownings barrel break in procedure? https://www.browning.com/support/frequently-asked-questions/break-in-new-barrel.html

What is your trigger pull weight? I know you indicated ABLR 175gr, have you tried anything else?

In my experience, I didn't feel I was getting the accuracy I wanted and felt the gun should give, I was about to give up on it and sell it. ( best group was 1.5". It was a HCLR in 6.5Creedmoor with 1-7 twist. I complained in person to a friend who builds Brownings Buckmark guns for Browning, he was going to do some checking for me. Before he could get back to me I shot it some more. Without doing anything additional, just getting more shots down the tube with break in It started shooting better. I was doing good cleanings on it. And was also trying all sorts of factory ammo. The hornady stuff hadn't shot well at all. The Norma match 130 ended up shooting super well. This was about 75 shots down the tube. Following that the gun consistently shoots sub inch groups and has done it with 143gr ELD-X, 147gr ELD-M - Norma match, the cheap Winchester deer hunter 125gr, Barnes factory 127 LRX (my favorite) even shot 3/4" groups- all at 100 yards.

anyway. Just thought I'd ask some questions and give my experience rather than tear down with words your current rifle.
Heck I've considered getting a 7RM - I think I'd prefer a 7PRC to get rid of the belt and use a slightly shorter case, but if you decide you don't want to deal with this gun anymore PM me and I may be interested in it. I'm in Montana, Bozeman area. - Sam

Do you fire lap your barrel? Some very great long range old timers. Taught me the importance of shooting 100 time cleaning between each shot. Then 50 three shot groups cleaning in between. Have done this with every gun since and have never had bad results holding tight groups.

I'm having a hard time getting my xbolt to shoot very good. Can't seem to get anything I've tried to shoot under an inch. What are some tips you fellas can give me, any advice is helpful! Powders, bullets, primers, reloading techniques. It all helps. View attachment 185145
after reading all this if it were mine I would first check for barrel contact action and scope mounting hardware clean the barrel down to spotless and start over with a new bullet I think you will solve your problem if there is one if not you might find a bullet this rifle likes better I would certainly look at a better trigger good luck and let us know how it works out for you

hi mate my brother had exact same gun was running a 162 eldx norma cases and 70.5 grains of adi ar2225 at 3100fps and could get 3 shot group touching at 100 yards not sure of the col tho could find out tho if tht helps

I'd get another bullet weight to try , say 160 - 162gn and maybe another 175gn, perhaps Berger, Hornady SST or a mono, as well as another powder type. That way, you have several different combos to try out.

Nice setup. Just keep playing around with it. You will find that sweet spot. Maybe it just needs a good breaking in.?
And, if you are about out of retumbo ...well it may not be back new for a long time, so if you work up a load and run out of retumbo...you might have to start over with a different powder you have plenty of.

Last edited:
assuming your scope is fine, tight, tight, check chamber with gauge , then measure with mic the brass before firing, and after...see if chamber is within specs. I had similar problem and simply changed brass and went down .5MOA...never know what the combination may be....

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.