X-Bolt 1/8 twist .223, 55 grain ammo?

mww982

I recently purchase a Browning X-Bolt .223 that has 1/8 twist and an 18" barrel. Everything I'm reading is that the 1/8 twist prefers a heavier bullet. Is 55 grain factory ammo going to be too light for this rifle? If so, what factory ammo do you recommend since I don't reload my own.

Is the barrel marked 8 twist? Have you verified this? Browning has said on numerous occasions that certain X-Bolts were 8 twist, both versions I purchased were 12 twist.

You will be fine if it is in fact 8 twist. I shoot 55gr out of different 7 twist 223 rifles

I have had 3, the original one was a 12 twist as advertised, the next two were advertised as 8 twist, but were not. 1 was definitely a 12, the other may have been one of the 10 twist they tried for a while.

Anything heavier than a 62/65gr was iffy, 70gr was nothing but keyholes.

If it is definitely an 8 twist, I will be ordering one of them immediately.

I recently purchase a Browning X-Bolt .223 that has 1/8 twist and an 18" barrel. Everything I'm reading is that the 1/8 twist prefers a heavier bullet. Is 55 grain factory ammo going to be too light for this rifle? If so, what factory ammo do you recommend since I don't reload my own.

...You will be fine if it is in fact 8 twist. I shoot 55gr out of different 7 twist 223 rifles
The way I'd interpret what you're reading is that heavier bullets prefer a faster twist, not that light bullets dislike a fast twist.

I have had very good experience with an Odin Works AR in 1:8 all the way from 50gr to 77gr.

I'd expect you'll be just fine with the 55's.

It depends a lot on bullet design, jacket thickness and speed with factory offerings you should be just fine. If you were hand loading your own and got a thin jacketed bullet than ran it pretty fast near the pressure limits of your components, then you might see some problems with fast twist rates and posable bullet failure. 40 years or so ago I saw problems with slow twist rates and heaver for diameter bullets not stabilizing, and thin jacked bullets with light weights for diameter bullets coming a part in flight with fast twist rates. In the end most of the now offered factory loading will work well in either the slower or faster twist rates offered it's a matter of finding the factory offerings that your particular rifle likes the best so buying in bulk may not be your best choice at first till you find your rifles choice of ammo. Just my thoughts perhaps they will be of some use for you.

That is a sweet stick. I think an 8 twist will shoot fine with 55 gr. You have a number of good options to chose from. From what I have learned, the bullet length is primary contributing factor to stabilization issues in slower twist barrels. Those long monos really can create challenges for slow twist barrels.

Darryle - did you send the Xbolts back to Browning that were advertised other than what you received?

Darryle - did you send the Xbolts back to Browning that were advertised other than what you received?

No, because they didn't offer a replacement with an 8 twist, at the time they said it was typographical error and wasn't covered by a guarantee.

Fast twists have only become a priority in the past few years. I wanted to shoot the 75gr BTHP but it never came to fruition, I had a fast twist model 70, so I never pushed the issue.

The only one that went back was a sticky duratouch model.

Is the barrel marked 8 twist? Have you verified this? Browning has said on numerous occasions that certain X-Bolts were 8 twist, both versions I purchased were 12 twist.

You will be fine if it is in fact 8 twist. I shoot 55gr out of different 7 twist 223 rifles
I may have to go back again and try 55 grain out of my Savage Model 12 LRPV. It is a 1:7 and literally threw 55 grain bullets off the target! Surprised me. Everything else ( heavier ), absolutely no problems.