Wyoming

dswenson

Hello folks, I am trying to plan an antelope hunt in Wyoming and need some advice. We are going to have a party of 4-6. I am thinking of putting in for Unit 7, Unit 32 (type 2), and maybe Unit 63. For non-residents, are these good units to put in for and possible get drawn?

Also, how do you locate ranchers who are willing to let you hunt their property with a fee? I've never done this before, I've always hunted white tail in Tennessee, Georgia, and Alabama. Any help would be appreciated.

thanks,
Derrick

Units 7 and 32-2 are pretty much 100% draw with no Preference Points, while unit 63 would take several Points to have a chance at drawing a tag. I don't know anything about the latter two, but 7 is a good hunt with over 20,000 acres of WIHA private land that is open to the public for walkin hunting, as well as some BLM land and quite a bit of National Grasslands that are open. You can stay in Newcastle, as it's only a few miles east of the unit and the best hunting is in the eastern half of the unit. I would wait and not go out until about the second week of the season, get off the roads and do some walking as it's good spot/stalk country and you will have fun. You can see a map of the WIHA if you go onto the G&F website and highlight "Public access" on the left side and then click on "the Walkin In hunting" section when it comes up. That will then allow you to go over and click on "Weston County". When that loads you can click on Map#2 and enlarge it to see all of the WIHA land. You probably won't need to pay a rancher for access with all the land that is open, but if you want to get a list of ranchers that charge a fee you can call the Gillette G&F Office for that information or the Newcastle Chamber of Commerce.

Last edited:
Topgun, thanks for the response. I will definitely consider #7. I'm really looking forward to going, never hunted out that way. It's going to be a lot different than hunting from a tree stand.

Yeah it'll be 'real' hunting. I really don't understand how so many people can just sit there all day long and wait for something to walk in front of them, and call themselves 'hunters'. Get out and go find the animal, that's real hunting and a fair chase. Just my .02, good luck with whatever you decide.

Scott

The last post must have been made by a younger person who hasn't been all over the country to see what different methods need to be used for certain animals. Take for instance, bow hunting big whitetails in the midwestern states is not a "spot and stalk" sport like mulie hunting out in the Wyoming open spaces! Each animal has certain favored ways to hunt it effectively and one is not to say another is not a hunter because they do it differently than another. This website is a perfect example in that many decry long range shooting!

Topgun, I couldn't have said it better. If someone can spot and stalk a whitetail through the woods of North Georgia, they are a better man than me.

I guess I see what you guys are saying, however I've never hunted in that type of environment so to speak. I have hunted in some pretty thick stuff in the mountains for elk and mule deer though, and I'm just the type of person that has to keep moving. I have sat in a tree stand a few times first thing in the morning just to see if something comes down the game trail, but I can't make it very long, no patience, haha. Sorry if I offended you guys in any way, maybe someday I'll come to your neck of the woods and then I can see what it's all about.

And as for your chances of drawing in a certain area, the G&F website actually lists a breakdown for non-residents hunters. You may already know this, but if not I can send you the link if you'd like.

Scott

No problem here Scott! Just yanking your chain a little, LOL! Actually when I started hunting here in Michigan I could sit from before daylight until after dark and only get up once or twice to take a peepee. As I got older it became much more difficult to the point now at 63 I only stay on stand a couple hours in the AM and PM. Wyoming is actually what ruined me for hunting here because I have hunted out there most years since the mid 90s and we cover some territory to find the animals and do mostly spot and stalk which has become by far my favorite way of hunting!

Unit 32 has plenty of public land and lots of goats. I've drawn twice with no points. Got doe tags as well as buck tags. Had the whole place almost to ourselves after the first weekend.

There are a couple ranches with walk in access [you can drive a truck on the roads. No ATVs]. Permission slips on F&G website. I seem to remember "Muddy Mountain" being the name of one of them.

I will probably be heading there this year again and then on to Colorado for elk and deer. I drive out from Maryland and camp on public ground. If you would like some more specific info or maybe hookup in Wyoming send me a PM.
Sam

Scott, no offense taken. I actually think I will like the spot and stalk method tons better than sitting all day. I like scouting whitetails better than hunting them.

Shimoda, I will let you know what units I put in for. We are probably going to bypass that first weekend also to avoid the crowds.

I put in for unit 47 first choice then 32 second choice Have 2 points a piece for 2 of us and 1 guy has 1 point so not sure if we will hit 47 or not hopefully 32 anyhow. might see some of you out there.

Yotebuster---Both of those units have two different hunts. Did you put in for Type 1 or Type 2 in them? If you 3 applied as a party, you will only go into the draw with 1.66 PPs. Last year those with <3 PPs got a tag in 47-1 and those who had 2 had a 82.61% chance at drawing. Those with <2 PPs got a tag in 47-2 and then with 1PP it went down to a 27.78% chance at drawing the tag. That means you have a good chance at the tag in that one, but basically none in the other if the same thing happens this year. As far as 32-1 as a second choice, you are probably out of luck if you put in for it because last year there were 158 first choice applicants and there were only 39 tags available. However, if you put 32-2 as your second choice, you do have a chance since last year there were no first choice applicants in the random draw, but 182 second choice people applied for the 70 tags available for a 38.4% chance at a tag. In case you want to change your mind on what you applied for, you have until June 3 to go online and follow the directions to change/modify or completely withdraw your applications. PS: I hope you are aware that PPs have no bearing in the second choice you put in for. All second choice applicants go into the drawing equal for any tags left after the first choice applicants are drawn, regardless of how many PPs they have. Good luck on whatever you decide on!

Last edited:
I just filled out my application today. It looks like there is no longer a hunt 32-2. I assume that tags from hunts 1&2 have been combined?
Too bad, I liked the odds on 32-2 and want to hunt a little later on my way to elk camp.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.