wyoming

cody finch

i am going into this years draw with 7 points + this year. i have always put in for unit 80 or preference point. my question is does any one have knowledge if 80 is still worth putting in for still ? we hunt at home in Montana when ever we get drawn and have killed allot of mid to upper 70s wife and i are looking for upper 70s and up. so what do you all think? thank you cody

You can kill a high 70s or better buck in any unit that has a decent number of antelope where you can take your time and look a bunch of them over. What do you mean by 7+ unless you are talking about going in the draw as a party with your wife and that's your average together?

Disreguard, I'm in the southwest part of the state, another 5-6 hour drive. That is where I'm familiar with. Good bucks though, I hunted a solid 3 days year before last to get this 81" buck
20160913_135239.jpg

I still don't understand what you're saying because if you presently have 7 PPs that's what you'll go into the draw with for this 2018 season. Each point you buy isn't good until the following year and you can only get 1 PP per species per calendar year. There are also a lot better units than 80 with the PPs you have that are only an hour or two drive further from Montana than unit 80 is. When it takes 7 years and $210 in PP money alone to draw a good tag it would seem like a few hours more driving time to get to a great unit would be insignificant.

Last edited:
Very nice buck and I hope your mount of him looks good!
well your right about the couple hour drive. i guess i don't understand the point system in Wyoming,here in mt. we get an extra point going into the draw. if you go in with 7 and sign up for point like Wyoming than it is added to your total for this years draw 7 going in 8 in the hat for draw.no draw you are at 8 next year going in and drawing 9.

That is not the way it works in Wyoming. You can buy a point during the application process that is from 1/1 to 5/31 for the 2018 draw or just buy a point from 7/1 to 10/31 if you don't want to hunt this year and just want to buy a point that will be good for next year and give you 8 for the 2019 draw. Therefore, you will have 7 points if you apply for the draw for 2018. That 1 point can make a big difference in whether you draw your first choice if the unit you pick is on the borderline of needing 7 points to draw and you think you have 8 and don't. IMHO if you want a good hunt for bucks like you mentioned in your first post, I would look at the units that took at least 5 or 6 points in the draw last year that are an hour or two south of unit 80. You do know how to find and read the draw odds on the G&F website don't you?

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.