wyoming antelope first time

cjwise5

Got my tags, got a place to stay, got a great custom rifle and some skill in using it. Now I just need to know some tips and tricks for hunting antelope! We are hunting in zone 8 which has less overall access than a lot of areas, but I'm sure there will still be plenty of goats to be had.
I'd love some advice. This will be my first time hunting in wyoming and first time for antelope. suggestions?

They're fast. Don't shoot at a running goat.
They're eyesight is impeccable. If you can see them. They see you.
They are really not that big. Know your range.
If your using a guide. Trust his judgement.

gotcha. thanks. We are going alone, no guides, on public land and private walk in only. I'm assuming we can drive and just spot and stalk them, but not really sure how to approach it since we haven't ever done it. I guess the plan is to find a high spot in the different areas and just break out the spotter. Once we locate them, then try to use terrain to stalk in closer.

They're fast. Don't shoot at a running goat.
They're eyesight is impeccable. If you can see them. They see you.
They are really not that big. Know your range.
If your using a guide. Trust his judgement.

Nailed it. Spot on advice. I may also add, Goats that have been running also stink to high heaven and tend to pretty much taste the same. Try to find a calm one that isn't all pumped full of adrenaline; you'll thank me I promise. At least in my area, they tend to trust their eyesight a lot more than other senses. As wyowinchester pointed out, they have impeccable eyesight. 3x magnification IIRC. But understand, the Antelope is a highly inquisitive animal. If you're still and they spot you, remain still. Don't be surprised if they actually come closer in an attempt to satisfy their curiosity; I've witnessed this MANY times.

gotcha. thanks. We are going alone, no guides, on public land and private walk in only. I'm assuming we can drive and just spot and stalk them, but not really sure how to approach it since we haven't ever done it. I guess the plan is to find a high spot in the different areas and just break out the spotter. Once we locate them, then try to use terrain to stalk in closer.

Public land and walk in areas. Please, and I mean that with the utmost sincerity. BE RESPECTFUL of the land. Now, I'm not casting judgment on you and yours. Just some seriously bad experience in my past. Let's just say that our ranch is no longer open to the public due to very poor sportsmanship and unbelievably ignorant/disrespectful people. Don't be that guy.

In all honesty, at least in my experience.... Antelope are not the mythically difficult animal hunt that some journalists portray them to be. Spot and stalk can work VERY well if you plan accordingly and stay out of line of sight while moving. Keep in mind that they can be very flighty if they've been pushed/harassed. They tend to act like a flock of birds. If they do bust you and high tail it, keep one person where you are as I tend to observe every year a group of 30-50 that get pushed out of an area only to circle around and end up right back where they were 20-30 mins earlier.

Another issue I experience with the gents I host every year is timeliness. I mean this in respect to getting ready to shoot after you've spotted your game. If you have a shot, take it in a timely manner. We lose several shot opportunities every year due to clients... for lack of a better term... "d!cking around" while getting setup for their shot. Not having ammo in the rifle mag, not having sticks or their bipod at the ready, wanting to stare at their animal thru binos to "make sure", getting comfortable behind the rifle... and these are gents I consider "seasoned"... and every dern year...lather, rinse repeat....
I know this sounds ridiculously obvious but... they're not going to stand there forever.

I may be over generalizing and telling you things you already know, if so, I apologize. You asked :D

I hope that helps and wish you luck on your hunt.

t

Last edited:
If they are breeding.
Worry about the doe's seeing you and bugging out. The buck will follow them every time.
Sounds like you got it. Good luck.

Another extremely valid point, well said sir. The bucks in our area generally don't tend to care as long as you aren't within roping distance. It's the does... seems the female always causes the problems lol

t

Another thing due to small size and open terrain. Use a good rangefinder do not guess if your with someone have them call it out while you get set up - quickly -- again with the timeliness that another mentioned......

Hunt early, opening day is best. People tend to over estimate the distance when shooting antelope. They are small and often in grass making them look smaller.

I dont normally say this but since its a LONGRANGE HUNTING Forum I will anyway.

Speed goats are spooky. They have excellent eye sight and can see forever. They are also curious creatures, so if you're still they will stir for a while, but will spook at movement.

I dont try to stalk them to get close. Its long range, so know your sight adjustments and know how to read wind. Wife and I always tag out by noon the opening day simply because we shoot them at distance. I dont ever remember shooting a goat at less then 300 yards. And like others said, NEVER shoot at a running antelope. Its almost impossible to estimate the lead, you dont know if they are running 30 or 40 miles an hours meaning a huge difference in the lead required.

After being hit, they will often take off like a bat our of you know where. I shot one at a bit over 600 yards one year, he took off like he was being chased by the devil himself. I was trying to figure how I missed when after running about 100 yards he did a tripple somersault. His lungs looked like a pile of wet coffee grounds, I have no idea how he was able to run.

Oh and wear heavy pants. When you get down into your position, youre going to be kneeling, setting or laying in prickly pear cactus. Looks like its gonna be warm this year so you're gonna run across rattlers, thats a given.

Thanks for all the advice folks. Much appreciated. I only mention this to give you some hint at my shooting ability, and definitely not to brag, but I do shoot precision rifle series competitions regularly - again only saying this so you know I understand how to use my equipment. I'm comfortable reading wind and taking long distance shots - BUT that being said I'm not out there to try to kill an antelope at 1000 yards. Honestly I'm not going to work hard enough to get within 200y either. I'm looking for a laid back and relaxing hunt where I get to enjoy the wide open spaces and have a better than average chance of shooting some tasty meat.

One thing I would say is you have to be particular a about meat care. Keep the hair off the meat and get it cooled down asap. I keep a large cooler with lots of frozen jugs of water and am VERY CAREFUL not to get any hair on the meat. If you do this it tastes very good.

Outlaw,
I hear you on the hunters "dicking around" before taking a shot. I see it even on many TV shows where I'm mentally saying, "TAKE THE **** SHOT!". And yes, sometimes the game moves on and the shot is lost. Sad, but it just shows the hunters' lack of experience. It must frustrate guides to no end.

The gents I host are really good dudes. And what I consider experienced hunters. I have no idea why they do what they do.... Different strokes I guess.

Same story this year, if they'd have listened to my father and I, they'd have had several animals on the ground inside the first hour they arrived.... Care to guess what didn't happen? Lol Oh well, it isn't my tag going to waste.

t

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.