Wyoming 2017

RyanO20

Hello everyone,

I've done a lot of reading and research on the subject, but I'm looking for some first hand advice and interaction from you guys on antelope in Wyoming this coming fall. Basically me and 2 other childhood buddies want to get out and DIY antelope hunt. We have 1 preference point each, and I've talked with Wyoming game and fish on the phone extensively about the application and some pointers. Really nice people and very helpful. So I'll explain what we want to do then just listen from the pros on what you have to say.

What we would really love to do in a perfect situation is find a place to set up a primitive camp way out in the middle of no where and hunt 4-5 days. This will be a first time experience for all three of us, as our hunting has strictly been Kentucky white tail deer and other small game to this point. So we want to get as much of the planning and guess work out of the way before hand. After talking to the gentleman form Game and Fish, that sounds like a lofty goal. Do any of you guys have a suggestion for zone we could try that in?

Everyone in the party is very capable out to 600 yards, some even further shooting wise so long shots would be ideal. And by capable I mean capable of ethically killing our intended target, not just hitting it. Obviously everyone wants that mythical giant trophy but we're certainly not going in with any expectations of setting records lol. It's something we'd like to do for a few years while we collect preference points to do a dream hunt of sorts in 5 years or so, so what were really looking for would be 2nd choice destinations that wont burn our points.

We also aren't completely opposed to hunting private land for a very reasonable fee. We can't afford the $2,000+ outfitter services and some of the $500 a head trespass fees I've read about, but if we can work out a deal with a land owner well in advance that's something we're open to.

So really anything you guys have to offer would be very helpful. Zone choices, people to call, land owners you know. I know we have until May 31st to submit our group application, but like I said we want to get our ducks in a row asap to jump in the truck and roll when the time comes next fall. It's over a full day driving there and back and we want to make the most of it.

Thank you all in advance, and Merry Christmas.

You need to look at all the units in the G&F Draw odds section of the website to see what you should be able to draw as a second choice based on the last couple years. I would concentrate on the units east of I-25 for the most part while doing that. Then when you find some units you can draw as a second choice go into the public access section of the website and see what, if any, HMAs and WIHAs there are that allow you on private land without paying a trespass fee. Some of the units may not look like they have much public land that is accessible to hunt, but have quite a bit of acreage in one or both of those programs. When you have done all of that then come back here and ask specific questions about the units you have come up with and I, along with others, can let you know our thoughts. I don't know what you consider that top of the line hunt you mentioned you want to wait for, but you're not going to get it with 5 PPs in a few years. The max for PPs is 11 this year and some of the best units will not even be close to 100% draw with max PPs this year and it won't get any any better with point creep as the years go by. That's the one problem with a PP system and most other systems where if you don't get in the year one is started you'll never get to the top units that generally don't have that many tags issued. Also, if you want to hunt a second choice make sure you put down the very hard units to draw as a first choice. You may just get lucky and draw that top unit in the random draw that you go in after the PP Draw is completed the way the Wyoming system is set up.

Exactly what TopGun said. Print off the draw odds stats and figure out which units you'd be able to draw. The look at those units and figure out which ones have the most public/accessible land. Buy a GPS with land ownership chip in it. Practice all summer shooting in as much wind as you can find locally. Have fun

I shot my antelope last year in area 21, with 0 points. It was a 482 yard shot with a 35mph wind blowing straight at me. The first 4 days of our hunt there was a severe wind advisory. It was 35mph with gusts to 60mph. It was still fun, somewhat miserable, but fun.

What they said. Narrow down where you think you can draw, and ask about specific units and you'll get more thorough advice.

My experience is in NE Wyoming, public land, in units with "poor access" but easy to draw. Public land sections were mostly pretty small, and scattered. There were only a couple pieces in the whole unit worth putting on a backpack and hiking in rather than just leaving stuff in the truck to go back for if you got something. We did camp a few nights for convenience of being right there in the morning far out from town. So we did a lot of driving/glassing/short hikes, which is not exactly what you say you are looking for.

While others describe poor luck here, we found no shortage of antelope if you were willing to actually get out of the truck and look. Often, once 200 yards from the road, we found goats hiding just out of sight.

The first year 4 of us tagged out in 2 days. The second year, the 2 of us tagged out in 3 hours.

The OTC/easy draw units can be fun hunts if you are willing to work for it and don't expect real trophies. Just make sure you have your GPS with landowner card or you WILL end up trespassing. Maps don't cut it.

I am in the same boat as you but I missed 2 years and lost my points. I had a wealth of info wrote out and lost it all. This year my girlfriend and I are looking at a diy hunt. Not concerned with a trophy. Of course we want one but we are looking for the experience and to get our feet wet on something besides mountain whitetail.

Hey folks, thought I'd step in. I think you'll find antelope hunting here in Wyo to be a great experience. Lots a good folks, wide open prairie and even the occasional day where the wind doesn't blow.

Please don't think I'm trying to pimp a local service but I had just read a thread by a local landowner who was thinking about adding some LR friendly hunts to those he already offers. It may be a good point of contact for those of you looking for your first trip out here, I'm already booked or I would reach out myself. Since I don't have his permission to speak about him directly, you may read thru the thread in this sub-forum titled "Changing Direction".

t

I'd love to speak with him, but I'll say this I can't (won't) afford the $2,250'ish rate most are asking for a 3 day hunt. If it's more of a land access, point ya in the right direction operation I'd love to speak with him.

As for the other replies, thank you guys a lot. Now that Christmas is over I can sit down one day and dig deeper and throw up some ideas for everyone to critique.

... . Print off the draw odds stats and figure out which units you'd be able to draw. The look at those units and figure out which ones have the most public/accessible land. Buy a GPS with land ownership chip in it. Practice all summer shooting in as much wind as you can find locally. Have fun

I shot my antelope last year in area 21, with 0 points. It was a 482 yard shot with a 35mph wind blowing straight at me. The first 4 days of our hunt there was a severe wind advisory. It was 35mph with gusts to 60mph. It was still fun, somewhat miserable, but fun.

Check with National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration | U.S. Department of Commerce and find a forecast period when the wind isn't blowing. :rolleyes:
I'm sorry. Couldn't resist that.
Following the previous advice on selecting an area based on WGFD stats is, IMO, the best starting point. Prioritize your findings and then use Google maps to explore the territory. Wyoming can be as difficult as any other "open range" state to determine where private land ends and public land begins, so get that GPS with land ownership chip in that was mentioned earlier in this thread. Practice using it.
NAIL DOWN YOUR TENT or you may find your self waking up in open air in the morning. Don't leave anything in camp that you can't afford to lose when you leave for the day's hunt. Folks in Wyoming are great but Wyoming has it's share of thieves (speaking from experience here).
You'll have better luck if you apply as a group instead of individuals. My son and I have a collection of several points and still have not been drawn for the last two years. So if you don't get drawn don't be too disappointed. We like the areas north west of Cody and east of Lander.
In the meantime, find some areas of high wind to practice in and study wind reading articles. Take you patience with you. Antelope behavior is erratic. When you think they don't see you you're mistaken. They just haven't gotten the signal from the lookout to blast off.

Check with You'll have better luck if you apply as a group instead of individuals. My son and I have a collection of several points and still have not been drawn for the last two years.

Putting in for a tag as a party makes no difference in the draw since the party is considered as one person. The party either all gets tags or nobody gets one.

Check with You'll have better luck if you apply as a group instead of individuals. My son and I have a collection of several points and still have not been drawn for the last two years.

Putting in for a tag as a party makes no difference in the draw since the party is considered as one person. The party either all gets tags or nobody gets one.

That's my point. If you want to go as a group and you apply as individuals you may find that only one gets drawn and the experience is lonely without your friends.

Yes, that's what I intended to say. Why are we having his debate?:rolleyes:

Yes, that's what I intended to say. Why are we having his debate?:rolleyes:

We are having this debate because what you said about luck was very ambiguous and why I made my post. The way you made your initial statement it sounded like you were saying they had a better chance as a party at drawing than if they applied individually and that is not true. They have the same chance as any one individual and all will either draw or all will be disappointed.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.