WY late cow elk next year

DonnaCam

I need some unit advice for next year. My daughter and I took up elk hunting together her sophomore year in high school. We were unable to be successful together before she went off to the United States Naval Academy. She really wants to get an elk with her momma before she gets shipped off to who know where after commissioning (hoping flight school in Pensacola). We have two Christmas breaks to get it done as a DIY mom/daughter duo. She does not want a canned hunt. I live in Colorado, but we don't have as many options for Christmas break hunts as it seems WY does. I have a late antelope doe tag so she can get her big game hunting fix this year at Christmas, but really she is not going to be happy unless she and I get an elk on our own. Can anyone point me in the right direction in WY? Unit 7 seems to be pretty popular...
Thanks in advance for any wisdom.
Donna

Go Navy, Beat Army!

7 would be the close choice but I don't know how tuff a draw it is or what the southern portion is like?
19 might be a better choice and easier to draw. Late season tags can get tuff to fill depending on weather and where the heck the herds are when you are out there.

Yes, those migrations are hit or miss. I caught some migrating in 3rd and 4th season here in Colorado, and I have to say it was a blast running around BLM land hunting them like giant antelope. When I got one in my scope, I am ashamed to say, I got the jitters and blew my shot at 300 yds, and only 350 yds from my vehicle. Meant to get tags for 7 this year, but totally spaced on the day they went on sale.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.